Auto Level Rear Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
On a couple other threads I have been posting about finding a new truck with what I might need for towing and off road or severe weather conditions. Today, I found a 2023 on line that is a highly optioned Laramie. More options than I would order but has all the options I want except the color. But...it also has auto level rear suspension and it seems I recall some debate about possible issues when towing with that and a weight distribution hitch, which I also have for my 6-7000 lb trailer. My current truck is a 2004.5 2500 Laramie with a diesel and handles the tongue weight (800lbs) just fine but is affected by passing vehicles making it sway somewhat. Does anyone know what the two systems do together that might be a problem? I might call Equalizer and get an answer but real world experience is priceless.

If I should be posting in a towing section of the forum I apologize. I'm thinking the general discussion area might get more viewers and thus answers. Appreciate the help. Going to look at the truck tomorrow. Expensive dang thing it is but marked down somewhat due to it being a 2023.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is a mode for the auto level suspension so you can adjust a WDH along with an alt trailering height mode. One added feature of the auto level suspension is the lower mode to make disconnecting easier.
As for your current 2004.5 2500 sway issues, sounds like the WDH may not be adjusted for the load correctly or the load in the trailer could be adjusted. Ideally a WDH needs to be adjusted with the truck and trailer fully loaded and best to use a CAT scale to check the tongue load percentage and how much weight is returned back to the front axle.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tow with a WDH and air suspension. Similar tongue weights. 18 and 22 2500's. My hitch has anti-sway built into it. It never sways that I've noticed. Not all WDH hitches have that built in.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I tow a 10k fifth wheel with my truck. The rear air suspension is kinda interesting to deal with at first. I actually completely deflate the bags to hitch up, then put the ride height to alternate. Raises the trailer in the process. I have noticed it feels like it sometimes wallows on some roads.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I
My 2020 3500 HO has the rear leveling system and I would order it again, it works great. I have a 9850lb pull vacation trailer hooked up with an Equl-i-zer sway control wdh. I hook it up just like I did with my non-leveling truck. The alternate level setting lowers my hitch ball by 1 1/4 inches, a perfect level towing position. Tows my trailer like it is part of the truck.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Good to know responses and thank you. To be more clear, I have not tried the WDH to tow with my current truck. When I bought the trailer (used) it did not have one and I acquired it later, mainly to control the sway. The trailer has an electric hitch jack so raising and lowering likely would be an issue but I'm new to this WDH game. Sounds like the auto leveling will not be a problem if I like the truck I am looking at today.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have the rear air suspension on my 2015. It has been trouble free. if you go that route make sure the pump shuts off prior to going down the road. I always walk around to the passenger side rear door where you can hear the pump. I usually also put the truck in the alternate height mode when hitching up and then go to normal height before heading out. This insures the suspension is properly inflated. I also added a HD Hellwig sway bar as we frequently have a truck camper loaded up.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Good to know responses and thank you. To be more clear, I have not tried the WDH to tow with my current truck. When I bought the trailer (used) it did not have one and I acquired it later, mainly to control the sway. The trailer has an electric hitch jack so raising and lowering likely would be an issue but I'm new to this WDH game. Sounds like the auto leveling will not be a problem if I like the truck I am looking at today.
If you like the truck and the price is right, buy it. The auto leveling will not be a problem, you will like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357