suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is so sad to find the new style Ram 1500 with a much stiffer ride !!! Test drove one recently and i thought i was driving a work truck !!! Had a 2012 Ram Big Horn for exactly 10 years that drove so nice compared to this new style !!! Why upgrade the new style 1500 suspension when you have the 2500 to be used as a work truck if needed ... It is DEFINITELY NOT the smoothest truck out there no more !!! Ram has pushed me out of a new Ram 1500 planned for my retirement years ....

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gees....my 2020 rides like a caddy. my only (nit-picking) complaint is some slight road noise from the rear passenger door.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It is so sad to find the new style Ram 1500 with a much stiffer ride !!! Test drove one recently and i thought i was driving a work truck !!! Had a 2012 Ram Big Horn for exactly 10 years that drove so nice compared to this new style !!! Why upgrade the new style 1500 suspension when you have the 2500 to be used as a work truck if needed ... It is DEFINITELY NOT the smoothest truck out there no more !!! Ram has pushed me out of a new Ram 1500 planned for my retirement years ....
You're the first one to state that,most guys are saying the 5th Gens ride noticably better then the 4th Gens.
You joined today,just to b!atch about the ride,be curious to see if you come back ;)

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're the first one to state that,most guys are saying the 5th Gens ride noticably better then the 4th Gens.
You joined today,just to b!atch about the ride,be curious to see if you come back ;)
Could just be crappy tires too. Wheel/tire combos affect the ride, so do the seats. I love my 4th gen, but the only OEM suspension component I have are the front LCA’s.

SwitcherLP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting...my '22 rides very comfortably, but honestly I find it difficult to complain about a truck riding like...a truck?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 16 limited with the air suspension rides incredible to this day. I. Amazed by it daily at how well it rides. Every day it convinces me to keep it.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

How about more info WHICH truck you drove. There are a lot of variables to affect ride. But you probably went with a tradesman with a 6cyl. LOL

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my '19 laramie 1500 4x4 ccsb with the ORP and 3.92 rear and wildpeak 20's rode great. my gm and ford owning friends would always comment about how smooth and quiet it was. the "reclining" back seats were a hit too. I once drove it straight thru from sheridan, wy to ft. worth. got in a groove and just kept going.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My '19 Big Horn with ORP rode great. Firm but smooth and I could take road bumps/humps/dips in stride.

As SwitcherLP said, it's hard to be down on how a truck rides like a truck. I'm probably a bit more complimentary than others as I came from an all-leaf spring suspension on my F-250 for almost 12 years prior to the RAM. Just about anything feels soft compared to that.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.

What truck did you drive? New style meaning the '25 or '24?

I just picked up a new '23 and it is very smooth. I've had two F150's in the past and they are a bit bouncy because of the leaf springs.

zrock

Reaction score
so comparing a 10 year old truck with probably the original suspension components that are bagged out and your comparing it to the ride of a new truck..

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Dear One-Hit Wonder: You bought a truck. It rides like a truck. You seem to have mistaken the expected ride from that of your Volvo.

Love Always
A 3500 owner.

OP
OP
L

Landy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What truck did you drive? New style meaning the '25 or '24?

I just picked up a new '23 and it is very smooth. I've had two F150's in the past and they are a bit bouncy because of the leaf springs.
I test drove two 2024 Ram 1500 Big Horn quad cabs 4x2 ..... Exactly like my old 2012 1500 Big Horn i had before !!! The new style Rams upgraded their suspension on 2019 ... They are stiffer now !!! The only way you really know is if you go from one to the other .... Open the tailgate and push down on the two and you will see ... The Silverado and Tundra i find softer now .... Still searching ......................

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
I test drove two 2024 Ram 1500 Big Horn quad cabs 4x2 ..... Exactly like my old 2012 1500 Big Horn i had before !!! The new style Rams upgraded their suspension on 2019 ... They are stiffer now !!! The only way you really know is if you go from one to the other .... Open the tailgate and push down on the two and you will see ... The Silverado and Tundra i find softer now .... Still searching ......................
Maybe try a Longhorn with 4-corner air suspension?
I like soft but more importantly I need control.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.

I definitely disagree. I had two F150's in the past. My last one was a 2018 and was very bouncy to the point where I didn't mind trading it in for my wife's Expedition. Also got an extended test drive in a '23 F150 XLT. Wife had one as a rental when her Expedition was getting some work done. Again, too bouncy for my taste. I would think Chevy would be the same with leaf springs. Leaf springs are better for towing and for a work truck, but not really for a DD and smooth ride.

Test drove my '23 Big Horn, this is what I was looking for. Very smooth ride, even comparable to a car.

Tundra should be similar because they have coil springs in the rear too. Considered it, but just can't do that front end appearance and some other minor issues.

Autos are like shoes, everyone wants a different feel.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Understand this: as a leaf spring compresses it flattens out and gets longer. As it gets longer it moves that wheel farther back towards the rear of the truck. Think of your outside rear wheel in a turn.

When the inside rear corner lifts, in that same corner, that leaf spring archs down. Making the leaf shorter. Which moves the wheel forward in the wheel well.

The leafs are shackled at the rear to allow for this lengthening and shortening. But at the front they are rigidly attached to the frame.

So every time you go around a corner the rear axle kocks in the frame and steers either to the left or the right. Effectively steering the rear of the truck in the opposite direction that you are steering the front with the steering wheel.

Ok, if that isn't odd enough, what happens when you hit any kind of bump mid-corner?
Well, your rear axle steers left and right like someone is sawing at the rear steering wheel whilst you are trying to anticipate and counter act that action to keep the front of the truck pointed around the corner.

You know that feeling when you are going around a corner in the old truck, no load in the bed, fighting the wheel?

That is why leaf springs have gone the way of the dodo...
1713567404448.png

skates15

Reaction score
My 23 1500 drives like a dream. The isolation is phenomenal for such a truck. I'm waiting to hear of the ride quality of the 25s. I read somewhere that they have a 5 point multi link suspension.

Karlp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Big Horn with 64000 miles on it and I am replacing the springs and shocks on the rear and the strut assembly's on the front. I will keep this truck for a good long time. It rides great why buy new just repair the old one just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat