Axle noise….2017 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 Anti Spin rear axle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 1500 with an "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" and 66k miles. A couple weeks ago I noticed a howling noise and through my internet research, self-diagnosed it was the pinion bearing. That is out of my scope of work that I'd perform on my truck so I took it to the dealership. They confirmed it was the pinion bearing and wanted to charge me $2,800. They said they tried to push it through under warranty but couldn't and were able to lower the price to $2,300. I put a little more pressure on them saying that it was just out of the 60k warranty but under the 5 years and they got it warrantied.

It seems like a lot of money to get in there and replace the pinion bearing but with your high mileage, a rebuild might be worth it.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 1500 with an "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" and 66k miles. A couple weeks ago I noticed a howling noise and through my internet research, self-diagnosed it was the pinion bearing. That is out of my scope of work that I'd perform on my truck so I took it to the dealership. They confirmed it was the pinion bearing and wanted to charge me $2,800. They said they tried to push it through under warranty but couldn't and were able to lower the price to $2,300. I put a little more pressure on them saying that it was just out of the 60k warranty but under the 5 years and they got it warrantied.

It seems like a lot of money to get in there and replace the pinion bearing but with your high mileage, a rebuild might be worth it.
This exact scenario is my fear and why no normal shop will touch it for a rebuild. They all want to swap out for a jasper or lkq compete unit. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1, and you surely do not want to do business with a shop that had the truck 2 days and diagnosed it by merely driving it. That’s just laziness. It would take them only minutes to remove the cover and do an actual inspection, where it would be readily apparent the condition of all the bearings as well as the gears.

Find a competent shop and if they have to open it up, have all the bearings including axles replaced.

I don’t buy the diagnosis merely on what I’ve read so far. An impulse on pulling away could be axle wrap, a sticking slip yoke, or an issue with the Jasper trans, a bad engine or trans mount…
I took it to the local dealer. Prosper Dodge. They gave me a range of best case pinion bearings ($1600) or full rebuild ($3500). Seemed excessive and they also mentioned parts were hard to get so could be up to 6 weeks.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well long story short I drove to my friends that ordered the 95k mile rear axle for $900. 1 year warranty.
Its not as clean as I was thinking it would be. My nice Texas axle still looks clean clean and this is very ‘crusty’. I will probably pass on this and eyeball one before I get it. This was ordered from a well known Kansas City recycle place. Thoughts?

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well long story short I drove to my friends that ordered the 95k mile rear axle for $900. 1 year warranty.
Its not as clean as I was thinking it would be. My nice Texas axle still looks clean clean and this is very ‘crusty’. I will probably pass on this and eyeball one before I get it. This was ordered from a well known Kansas City recycle place. Thoughts?02E1C3E3-994D-4DB0-862F-5C88AF253D1E.jpeg

Attachments

• D3C5FB85-A44A-4EFD-8D7F-CC3637BBF95F.jpeg
    D3C5FB85-A44A-4EFD-8D7F-CC3637BBF95F.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I took it to the local dealer. Prosper Dodge. They gave me a range of best case pinion bearings ($1600) or full rebuild ($3500). Seemed excessive and they also mentioned parts were hard to get so could be up to 6 weeks.
That’s them telling you they really don’t want the job. A relatively common job is having a truck regeared for big tires, and $1600 would be a little high but in the ballpark for that job. Which would entail a new set of gears, and all new bearings and seals. Throw in another $400 - $1,000 for a new LSD or locker assembly if that’s in the mix. All in, it’s probably an 8 hour job done right.

Most towns of any size have a specialty shop that does 4x4 gearing and lifts. That’s the shop you want if you’re having it internally repaired.

The junkyard stuff can be a bargain, or it can be just as bad as yours or worse. I have used junkyard salvage in some of my builds, but only as a foundation; I take them home and rebuild it before installing.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to that place. The known 4x4 offroad place. They gave me the same pitch. $3500 swap out for used from a 119,000 truck. Told me minimim if they broke mine open $2k.
That’s them telling you they really don’t want the job. A relatively common job is having a truck regeared for big tires, and $1600 would be a little high but in the ballpark for that job. Which would entail a new set of gears, and all new bearings and seals. Throw in another $400 - $1,000 for a new LSD or locker assembly if that’s in the mix. All in, it’s probably an 8 hour job done right.

Most towns of any size have a specialty shop that does 4x4 gearing and lifts. That’s the shop you want if you’re having it internally repaired.

The junkyard stuff can be a bargain, or it can be just as bad as yours or worse. I have used junkyard salvage in some of my builds, but only as a foundation; I take them home and rebuild it before installing

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to that place. The known 4x4 offroad place. They gave me the same pitch. $3500 swap out for used from a 119,000 truck. Told me minimim if they broke mine open $2k.

The junkyard stuff can be a bargain, or it can be just as bad as yours or worse. I have used junkyard salvage in some of my builds, but only as a foundation; I take them home and rebuild it before installing

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new parts inside the pumpkin are $500 and none of its back ordered. then just call around to see what shop labor rates are. probly $110hr or so. figure 5-8hr. but heres the thing. if the lsd is worn and cant be reused, then youll have to get a new one or get a new open carrier or something. also theres bearings and seal at the tube ends, maybe yours are still in good shape

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, surface rust on an axle housing wouldn't scare me, that's what wire wheels, sand paper and rust rustoleum professional gloss black paint are for.

$900 for the complete axle isn't bad if all the seals and internal parts are good

The prices your getting are just plain crazy. For $3500 you could get a 4x4 regeared (both diffs done) I know costs are up, but wow.

Sorry your having all these issues getting things ironed out

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, surface rust on an axle housing wouldn't scare me, that's what wire wheels, sand paper and rust rustoleum professional gloss black paint are for.

$900 for the complete axle isn't bad if all the seals and internal parts are good

The prices your getting are just plain crazy. For $3500 you could get a 4x4 regeared (both diffs done) I know costs are up, but wow.

Sorry your having all these issues getting things ironed out
Surface rust is fine, the scale rust coming off I dont like on this one. And I think the Drivers side axle seal was/is leaking. I may just go look at a few before buying sight unseen.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It just looks crusty to you because it's been sitting out in the weather for a while. Take a look and listen to the insides and if it's good a littles work with a wire wheel and paint will do wonders.
All the rust on it is just surface rust.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So follow up on this. I caved and took it to a Dodge dealer. Mechanic drove it and thinks its fine. Very confusing. Im going to have him change the axle fluid and do a more internal look.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 3500 had a little shudder on takeoff. I put the additive in the trans and problem went away. Mine would generally do it in the morning, back out and put it in drive, maybe slight rearward movement. 3 quick tugs were felt, naturally you let of the gas and off you go. I don't tow heavy often, but with a 29 ft camper now, it would do it. No problem since the additive.

It was Lubeguard anti shudder Fixx

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I wanted to give a final on this as the dealer told me all is fine.
While at the dealer they also told me my heater core is bad and asked for $2400 to fix it. I said that was insane and took it to a guy who is a Certified Dodge tech but owns his own small shop.
He took the truck and said because its a long bed with the split driveshaft, thats a normal ‘tug’ feeling in these trucks.
So, I guess Im just crazy. :)

OP
OP
R

Ryan Poulos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 3500 had a little shudder on takeoff. I put the additive in the trans and problem went away. Mine would generally do it in the morning, back out and put it in drive, maybe slight rearward movement. 3 quick tugs were felt, naturally you let of the gas and off you go. I don't tow heavy often, but with a 29 ft camper now, it would do it. No problem since the additive.

It was Lubeguard anti shudder Fixx

So my tranny is a new Jasper with 15,000 miles on it. What additive did you use?