Back seat and back doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I just bought an extended cab '01 2500 Extended cab with the suicide rear doors. Once I got it home, I realized that neither of the back doors would open. The top latches will release, but the bottom latches will not. I've pulled the handle and looked inside, and even pulled up the lower rod with vice grips, but the latch still did not release. I can't seem to get any look at the lower mechanism with the doors closed to figure out what the next step is to get them to open.

Additionally, the latch to lift up the back seat doesn't release. The release handles move and feel like they are doing something but the seat never releases. Once again, I can't get a look at all at what is happening with the seat locked in the down position.

Can anyone help with how these mechanisms work? (The lower rear door latch and the seat release to lift the rear seats.) Has anyone had similar issues and know a fix? If anyone can post pictures of a working lower latch and/or a working seat latch I'd be greatly thankful.

I've found a few references of people fixing the rear door latches by whacking them with a hammer to get them to open, but never could tell where and how they were hitting. I don't mind trying some brute force IF I know that there is an actual direction where the brute force has a chance to be beneficial -- last thing I want is to mess it up worse. If someone has successfully done this, could you let me know where you whacked it and in which direction? Similarly, I've seen references to people spraying it with WD40, etc, but no references as to where they were actually spraying it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but Following ! Please update what you do find !

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
i HAVE A TRUCK LIKE YOU BOUGHT . My driver side rear door is a bugger to get open . But i'm into it about once every 2 weeks so maybe I'm keeping my opening . I PULL MY LATCH & SLAP MY Door & shake it back & fourth. & mine opens .
.. GOOD LUCK & POST WHEN YOU FIND YOUR ANSWER.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My drivers side door gets stuck all the time due to rust. So I have been in your spot a few times. From what I have found so far when mine gets stuck there are 2 ways the latch is operated. The Cable from the inner door panel will pull on the center latch mechanism which will rotate a rod down from the top releasing the top latch. At the same time it will pull the lower rod that is attached to the lower latch. Then the lower rod is pulled up it will move a lever on the lower latch releasing the pin that is holding the latch in place.

My issue is that rust has gotten so bad inside of the latch that even after the rod is moved the pin either doesn't move or the latch on the bottom will not rotate. The outer door handle in the doorjam is directly connected to the center latch mechanism opening both the top and bottom latch. If possible and thats a big if. If possible you can get the door panel off you can see the latch mechanism behind the plastic vapor barrier. As long as that is moving then you're in good shape. I take PB Blaster and spray the lower rod and let it run down the rod to the linkage. Then with the driver door open you can see the latch as it is bolted to the bottom of the door. I use a straw and spray blaster into the latch and soak it. After several tries it will move enough that I can force the door open. I coat it in PB and open and close the door a billion times spraying the blaster inside the lower latch. That gets me by for a few months. But if it sits right back to square one. Hope that helps a little.

As for the rear seat there is a cable that runs under the fabric and will pull on the levers on both sides. Possible that the cable on one side may be broken. I have had mine jam before and wiggling it up and down while pulling the handle is able to get it to flip up. If you don't have the under seat storage tray you might be able to reach under the seat and feel for the latch in the bottom seat cushion at the back corners.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead