Bad heater core?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clewis9593

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the past 6 weeks or so I’ve been getting a pretty good anti freeze odor in my truck. Did the usual things watched the level checked the cap put a longer hose on the overflow bottle. Now I’ve had a couple times where the windows are fogging slightly, sounds like heater core but when I called the dealership to set up the appt. he said it would be unusual for a heater core to go with only 43000 on it and then further stated that if they tear it apart and it’s not bad I could be on the hook for the labor. The only other thing other than the windows fogging is the passenger side heat vent has a orange substance dried up in a corner and what looks like a couple of dried drips on the carpet. I have an extended warranty but I’d rather not get stuck with a bill. Any other thoughts?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Rent a bore scope from advanced or autozone and take a peek inside the hvac box.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
For the past 6 weeks or so I’ve been getting a pretty good anti freeze odor in my truck. Did the usual things watched the level checked the cap put a longer hose on the overflow bottle. Now I’ve had a couple times where the windows are fogging slightly, sounds like heater core but when I called the dealership to set up the appt. he said it would be unusual for a heater core to go with only 43000 on it and then further stated that if they tear it apart and it’s not bad I could be on the hook for the labor. The only other thing other than the windows fogging is the passenger side heat vent has a orange substance dried up in a corner and what looks like a couple of dried drips on the carpet. I have an extended warranty but I’d rather not get stuck with a bill. Any other thoughts?
Seriously tho, do you detect a kinda sweet taste while the heat is on? Also, does it fog up if you don't have the heat on?

OP
OP
C

Clewis9593

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No sweet taste and with the heat of no fog or smell.

tdeperte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you have an extended warranty, take it in with your symptoms or complaints and do not mention the heater core. Let them diagnose it and it should all be covered.