Bak Industries Revolver X4 install and review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is my second Revolver X4, and since I have now installed one on a non rambox and now a rambox bed, I figured I had enough miles with them to give a few install reviews/frustrations/good points and a product review.

Install time on both was roughly 90 minutes each. It evened out- the non rambox one needed shimming and a small trim here and there. The rambox one took some extra time and swearing because when they say the seals arendesigned to fit snug- THEY WEREN'T KIDDING!!

The non rambox version rails were easier to install, but the cover alignment was a little more of a pain. The rails need to be shimmed and you can vary the alignment angle to suit using the torque on the clamps. The rambox version- jesus mary and joseph those rails were a pain in the ass. How I found it worked best was to open the rambox lids, loosen off the aluminum rail bolts in the box, and drown the channel and the rail and seal in warm soapy water. Even then it took some grunting but they went in all the way and didn't tear any seals.

Fitment review- 3.5/5 combined. It's possibly just the difference between rambox and non, or even the day it was made, but the previous one I had on my '15 without ramboxes seemed to fit better. The one I just installed with ramboxes leaves a bit to be desired. One rail is a little off because of the seal being so tight it's pushed out- but I will retorque in a few weeks as the sun may work on that seal a bit but this has an effect on closing it, there's two areas at the front (pic attached) I have to put some rubber gasket in, and the rails seem to stick out further than I like on the back. My biggest gripe: after install I can't put the endcaps back into the OEM rails. These things I could fix with some time and my rotary tool- but for the $1500CDN- I shouldn't have to.

When you first roll the cover out, take an air hose and blow the aluminum shavings off everything. Both of the ones I bought were full of aluminum shavings and if you aren't careful they could shred the cover.

Durability- 4.5/5. They're tough as hell and hold lots of weight on top.

Looks- 4/5. The protruding rails over the end gate kind of **** me off.

Would I spend it again? Likely. Little nitpicky things aside, they are durable and look great but they really need to work on the fitment. I can see myself fixing this once seeding is wrapped up.ce3740703d4d7748b2795db7a0feaf0d.jpgab33ed8e48dece2ac0dcc5ab0748f739.jpgf718c4bc18f9cddd49bf2b1eb6a5c680.jpg82fe85b9e6c9e4905002b71d005c52b6.jpg

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I went with the Xtang Solid Fold 2 on my Rambox equiped truck. Very similar installation. The "shims" behind the rails are for water tightness, I think. I had a rolling cover on a past truck like the X4, and hated it. Never stayed in place, would buckle up and loose on one side while at highway speeds. Very unnerving. The Solid Fold 2 is much more... well, solid.

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@smurfs_of_war Thanks for the review above. I've got a question for you. I've bought a second-hand Revolver X2 for my '19 Ram 1500 Classic, but when it arrive, it was worn out. The vinyl was shot and it doesn't roll flat at the back. I've got a line on a couple of different options with new covers, one is missing the rails.

My question for you, do you know if there is a difference in the dimension of the cover itself between the Rambox and w/o Rambox models of the X4?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ram box bed is more narrow than non ram box

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram box bed is more narrow than non ram box
Thanks, after quite a bit more digging, I found a difference of 10" in width. Sounds like the Rambox cover I found won't fit my w/o rambox truck even if I use the correct rails.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@smurfs_of_war Thanks for the review above. I've got a question for you. I've bought a second-hand Revolver X2 for my '19 Ram 1500 Classic, but when it arrive, it was worn out. The vinyl was shot and it doesn't roll flat at the back. I've got a line on a couple of different options with new covers, one is missing the rails.

My question for you, do you know if there is a difference in the dimension of the cover itself between the Rambox and w/o Rambox models of the X4?
Sorry I missed this. Yes, as mentioned- there is a width difference.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk