RamBox "opening" symptoms and fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmhai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I had a RamBox issue and thought I would post the symptoms and fix here for future searches.
  • The issue was the driver's side RamBox would open after approximately 30 seconds of getting out and closing door. Once I physically closed it, would not open with the button or even the key. Not the same as opening randomly driving down the road like others have mentioned here.
  • I took the latch cover off and saw the cable that the key is attached to was off the mounts that hold it so it will open the latch. I fixed it and added a zip tie to hold in bracket so it would not fall out again.
  • The key would work now but it still had the other issue of opening after getting out and not opening once closed again.
  • Unplugged the wire connector and it would not open with the button or after getting out but could NOW open with the key.
  • Ordered new latch assembly since the circuit board that controls this function is in the latch unit. This fixed the issue completely.
The reason I think this was happening is that since the RamBoxes are tied to the locking functions of the car the latch had a short or electrical problem that made the truck think that the latch was malfunctioning, and the truck was kicking in the safety feature that would unlock the door (not locking someone in the vehicle). When driving the key was in the truck and would not open any other time, just when closing the doors and walking away.

I bought a new button ($15.00) just in case and new latch assembly ($45.00) off eBay to complete the fix.
Will hold on to the button since the front doors and RamBoxes use the same one.

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't had any issues yet. thanks for posting this for future use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat