Battery Gauge - Start Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Had numerous weird issues on the truck starting just before Covid, and finally sorted it out as being grounding issues. Bought one of those grounding kits off Amazon because cheaper than making my own grounding by the time I bought wire, eyelets, etc..

Since then, start issues went away, throttle body errors gone, red lightning bolt error gone, etc.

1 of the cables I ran from the alternator to the + on the battery, leaving the original cable connected as well.

Did this 8-10 months ago.

Past few weeks I had a few start issues where it just wouldn't start the first few tries then starts fine. Once it died at the drive through getting a coffee and took 5 tries to start again. Total of 4x this has happened. Last 2x I noticed that the "check gauge" light came on and the battery gauge was sitting at 0, then after 2-3 seconds, error gone and the gauge pops back to it's regular position, an 1/8" past the middle.

Battery only 2yrs old at most. Truck rarely gets driven. Finally fixed all the brakes and grounding only to have a manifold rot issue and burning oil. Almost at 400,000km (250k miles) so it's had a good life. Hoping to make it last a while longer though.

Ideas? Thoughts?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That issue sounds interesting.

Is the 2 year old battery an OEM Mopar type battery?

intermittently using a battery, especially here where we have a few nasty cold periods, is tougher than most other types of battery abuse.

Have you measured the voltage before starting the truck and at a high idle? And a load test using an old style toaster load tester will provide definitive results as to the condition.

Nice work on fixing up the grounds. :cool:
The wire connected from the alternator directly to the battery, is it fused?

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ya, I think we're an hour drive apart... def cold weather here though the days in question weren't that bad out. The one time it died while idle at the drive through was especially odd since it was running for probably 20min before hand.

Battery, Motomaster... same as what was in it for the past... well, many many years.

Ground, yes... luckily someone in the forum (other site I think) saw my weird issues and had the same problem. Mechanic had me swap the throttle body, then the APP Sensor, and never thought to look at the grounding. I checked where it was supposed to be and just small metal nubs left. Ran a cable from the passenger side to the driver side of the engine, and from that to the metal frame bolt where the battery "-" attaches, and a new "-" cable as well. Only missing where it's supposed to go back/bottom of the engine... I know one should be there but can't find it. $30CAD cleared up all my issues. But, truck sat since Covid lockdowns and barely drove so, by the time the issue was fixed and brakes all replaced, well, manifold rotted and oil pan needs replaced. Sigh.

I'll check the wiring to see if fused.

Toaster load tester? I'll have to Google that. I have a multimeter I can test with.