Been trying to buy a used Ram...need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Izzyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I’ve been lookin into getting a truck for the past few months. Not really in a super rush so waiting for the right deal.

Don’t want to bug anything new so been lookin for used.

At first I was looking for one with lower miles between 100-130k. They aren’t cheap. So started thinking maybe one with a. Rebuilt engine.

I found a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with 246k and a rebuilt engine at 180k. so about 60k on the new engine. He’s asking like 8k but the truck looks like it’s been taken care of. I am not the most knowledgeable so I will be having a mechanic look at it as well.

My question is, would it be dumb to buy one with that many miles on it even tho the engine was rebuilt 60k miles ago?

Or should I try to find one with the lower mileage, and expect to get a new engine sooner than later?

Any advice would be appreciated!

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
How many other parts been replaced or does everything else have that many miles on them? I am sure some other stuff has been replaced.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tough call, did you check to see what kbb.com says it's value is?

Has the transmission fluid/filter ever been changed? (Do not get a transmission flush if you buy it, just filter and fluid change).
Have the differentials and/or transfer case oil ever been changed?

All in all if you like it, it looks good and rides good, don't mind possibly putting some money into it, then by all means see if you can get him to come down a bit more. If asking $8k, he might take $7k or less - again check kbb.com or nada.com

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought that exact same truck here in Canada, it had 298,000km (185,000miles) on it. Drove perfect, the guy drove it from Nova Scotia to Alberta since he got it around 2008~ and that’s about 5000 miles each way.
He took real good care of it. I live by the coast so lots of vehicles have rust issues but this one was very minimal, it passed its 2 year inspection with no new parts needed.
After driving it all winter and then taking it for a drive 2 hours down the road, on the coldest day we had all winter at -29c, the fuel pump went.
I didn’t know it was the fuel pump at first as I was advised it was the starter relay-nope then the battery-nope, starter itself-nope, then the alternator, nope wasn’t that either. Then I myself figured it was the fuel pump.
So now it’s got a bunch of new parts that will probably survive the rest of the truck.
I got this truck for $2000
The guy was stuck in Alberta and had it at his parents place in Nova Scotia. This guy worked on the oil rigs so he had a decent amount of money and bought a new truck to drive back and first and didn’t care about the Ram.
So far I’ve sunk about $800 or so into it, which is an extremely cheap truck and was way worth it to me.
You might be lucky like me

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
If your area is anything like mine, used trucks are in high demand right now. According to KBB my truck is worth what I paid for it 5 years ago.

I'd want to see proof of the rebuild (like a receipt) before I took anyone's word on it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said, there's so much more than the engine/trans that's going to be worn out in a 13yr/old truck. Heater core, blend door actuators, all connectors and electronic bits. You never know who's tinkered and tampered with everything, added on aftermarket mods, etc.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The engine may be newer, but all of the other mechanical parts are not. The transmission still has 246,000+ miles as well as the rest of the driveline.