Best guess at trans noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
just got a new 2500 with 66RFE. Makes a brief whine noise when shifting from park to drive or park to reverse. No noises when cycling gears or going into park.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome from Central Texas.

U say that is a Brand New Truck U just got???? I would be parked in front of the big glass Plate Window of the dealership. But that's me. (Translate) Take to dealer.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome from Central Texas.

U say that is a Brand New Truck U just got???? I would be parked in front of the big glass Plate Window of the dealership. But that's me. (Translate) Take to dealer.

In my experience, if it moves and isn't on fire, the dealer isn't going to be much help but it's worth a try. I've never noticed anything like this or heard about it here. The 66rfe has its complaints but most are just the gear spacing. Reliability wise, there doesn't seem to be a lot of problems posted around here. Of course, it's worth mentioning that mine completely blew up under no load at 38K miles but I realize that is the exception rather than the rule. It was fixed under warranty and has been fine for nearly 50K since. OP, all you can really do is take it to the dealer to document the problem and then run with it to see if/what happens.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
just got a new 2500 with 66RFE. Makes a brief whine noise when shifting from park to drive or park to reverse. No noises when cycling gears or going into park.
Yep, take it in and get it documented. I’ve been to the dealership 3 times with transmission problems; all under 20k.

OP
OP
B

Bram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
thanks for the responses all. Thought I would provide an update in case anyone was interested, or experiencing something similar.

symptoms/details about how trans is now exhibiting- slightly rough engagement going into reverse, whine noise is only present going from P to D for about 1-2 seconds and is intermittent. It only happens once the trans temp warms to over 140ish, truck is shut off, sits for at least 15-20 mins. It does not happen cold. Sometimes it is a quiet squeal, sometimes loud as hell.

Dealer has replaced valve body, no luck there, still does it.

I saw some diesel guys complaining about this same thing over in a cummins forum, but nothing from the gas guys, so maybe something borrowed from the 68RFE (back side) of trans as opposed to the front side? What about the filters? possible that they are obstructing flow, or the backflow valve is not doing it's job?

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Make sure it isnt your brakes making noise from hill assist. I thought my transmission was making a noise but it was actually the brakes.

OP
OP
B

Bram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Make sure it isnt your brakes making noise from hill assist. I thought my transmission was making a noise but it was actually the brakes.

I was brave and got under there while the wife shifted, definitely the trans.