Best Oil and oil filter for ram 1500 Slt 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Good old Mobile 1 extended performance with a Mopar filter. Anything else is over kill and unnecessary cost.

So.......have you read about the 5-10% Hemi engine failure rate due to poor design of valve train / lubrication? And how heavily additized oil mitigates this to a large extent?

I pay to insure my vehicle. Also my $9,500 engine.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
All SAE approved oils after 2017 are the same in terms of performance. Whether to go with a synthetic or synthetic blend depends on the oil weight recommended by the engine's manufacturer. With my SUV it is 0W-20 and so I use a 100% synthetic. With my truck that uses 10W-30 I use a dino motor oil.

For oil filters I use the OEM or Fram ones as the media, unless one has a diesel engine with its very dirty fuel, is pretty much the same. Something to keep in mind is that an oil filter as with an air filter is least effective when it is new.

Filters are designed to function within specs even after a lot of media loading has taken place and to be able to do that the filtering media as engineered lets more particle pass through until that loading level has occurred. More frequent filter changes will result in more wear on the engine's bearing surfaces.

There are aftermarket oils and filters that can be double the cost and this is the result of the companies spending 4x as much on advertising and who happily take the increase in their profits to the bank.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All SAE approved oils after 2017 are the same in terms of performance. Whether to go with a synthetic or synthetic blend depends on the oil weight recommended by the engine's manufacturer. With my SUV it is 0W-20 and so I use a 100% synthetic. With my truck that uses 10W-30 I use a dino motor oil.

For oil filters I use the OEM or Fram ones as the media, unless one has a diesel engine with its very dirty fuel, is pretty much the same. Something to keep in mind is that an oil filter as with an air filter is least effective when it is new.

Filters are designed to function within specs even after a lot of media loading has taken place and to be able to do that the filtering media as engineered lets more particle pass through until that loading level has occurred. More frequent filter changes will result in more wear on the engine's bearing surfaces.

There are aftermarket oils and filters that can be double the cost and this is the result of the companies spending 4x as much on advertising and who happily take the increase in their profits to the bank.

No, they are not. SAE & API set MINIMUM levels of performance. Please take some time to educate yourself on the problems associated with the design of the Hemi Gen III engine. That is the topic here - not any of the other engines, such as the Pentastar, Cummins, etc.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thought this was interesting. I contacted Fram because I see a XG10060 Ultra and a FS10060 Titanium listed for the 5.7. So I asked Fram:

Hello. May I help you find the right FRAM filter?
Dusty 12:48
"What is the difference between the XG10060 and the FS10060 oil filter with respect to the filter media type and the bypass oil pressure?"

Read​
Jared 12:49

"It is the exact same filter. XG is sold at walmart and because Advance automotive have their own numbering system, the FS is sold at Advance. That is all."

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067505 miles.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am about to change my oil and oil filter on my truck and I am wondering what is the best oil I could put in it and I forgot how many quarts it needs too. I also want to know the best oil filter to get. lastly, I would like to know where is the best place to purchase all that. Thank you.
I use Quaker State full synthetic and a Purolator Boss filter in my 2004 Ram. 107,000 and engine runs smooth. Menards has good prices on both.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey .....don't forget about Wolf's Head! LOL :hahano:
(I used to work for a guy and it was the only oil he ever used)

1649131010873.png

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Filters are designed to function within specs even after a lot of media loading has taken place and to be able to do that the filtering media as engineered lets more particle pass through until that loading level has occurred. More frequent filter changes will result in more wear on the engine's bearing surfaces.

There are aftermarket oils and filters that can be double the cost and this is the result of the companies spending 4x as much on advertising and who happily take the increase in their profits to the bank."
I hate to get into this opinion stricken thread, but maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.

The implication is that the filter maintains it's filtration efficiency throughout it's practical life, and, more so is a better filter than a fresh one?

Even if we accept the theory on face value, at some point the media will load and become increasing resistance to flow, to the point where it will go into various stages of bypass, thereby negating any filtration at all. You almost never know when an oil filter actually goes into bypass, which means the practical life cannot be accurately determined.

So, if I'm misunderstanding something, help me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067524 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, a clean filter will let more particles pass through, but keep in mind this is below the 99.9% particle size efficiency ONLY - all the bigger stuff still gets captured.

So, filter efficiency, capacity, and flow restriction ALL matter, along with cost, of course. You can't pick out just a single parameter and worship it at the expense of all others. That's not engineering - that's fan boy obsession.

Michael L Hensley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am about to change my oil and oil filter on my truck and I am wondering what is the best oil I could put in it and I forgot how many quarts it needs too. I also want to know the best oil filter to get. lastly, I would like to know where is the best place to purchase all that. Thank you.
I recommend AMSOIL. Been using AMSOIL in every motor (trucks, cars, motorcycle, lawn mower, trimmer, power washer) I have owned since 1986.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline and I used the extra large Royal Purple Filter. I am running 5w 30 Redline. Do not use FRAM or other garbage filters. First oil change done on my 21 RAM 1500 @ 2100 miles. Had the Hemi lifter noise at 900 miles. So far after that the engine has been qUiet. I know Redline oil is expensive but in my opinion it’s the best oil on the market. As is Royal Purple Filter and they have two size filters for the engine. Summit Racing was the only place I could find Royal Purple Filters and Redline oil.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've used Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic and Mobil 1 synthetic filter in all 3 of my RAM's without any issues ... Castrol Edge Extended Performance as an alternative if needed ...
Mobil 1 doesn't list the Chrysler spec so be careful if your truck is still under warranty, they could try to deny you warranty engine work if something fails.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mobil 1 doesn't list the Chrysler spec so be careful if your truck is still under warranty, they could try to deny you warranty engine work if something fails.
Actually it does ... Here is the spec from the RAM owners manual for 5W20 oil ....
"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 ..
Here are the specs from MOBIL 1 ...
You'll have to scroll down to the second section to Fiat Chrysler and it states MS-6395 ..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Actually it does ... Here is the spec from the RAM owners manual for 5W20 oil ....
"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 ..
You'll have to scroll down to the second section to Fiat Chrysler and it states MS-6395 ..

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 24

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at the NOTE at the bottom of what you quoted is says the same as I showed you from my 2020 Manual ... MS-6395 Standard ... Shell and Pennzoil aren't the only companies that have this standard ... I gave you the link to Mobil 1 standards that says the same thing ...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh OK. That must be new because it wasn't listed on their bottle a few years ago.

:cheers:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
From what I've read on this forum, RP 20-820
Number one- thick loose media which was proven to be the best in those two known tests posted. Plus, in every iteration of this filter it never used low quality stuff. Whatever tube was used it was high flow, not like puro. Pick a spun microglass filter, only two have stuck to this quality, fram ultra and rp, and we arent really sure ultra stayed true this entire time, but rp has. Paper filters are yesterdays news, they dont belong in the same conversation. Puro might be as good now, but hasnt always been. I trust rp more then the rest, which of course includes amsoil ea.