Best Oil and oil filter for ram 1500 Slt 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just swapped to redline 5w-30 with the larger royal purple oil filter. I add a bottle of lube tech ($10 for 15oz off Amazon) and I change my oil every 5000 miles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you look at the NOTE at the bottom of what you quoted is says the same as I showed you from my 2020 Manual ... MS-6395 Standard ... Shell and Pennzoil aren't the only companies that have this standard ... I gave you the link to Mobil 1 standards that says the same thing ...
I wasn't saying anything,i just posted info to help back you up.BTW i know where their office is,i'm just north of Calgary,lol

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
“Pick a spun microglass filter, only two have stuck to this quality, fram ultra and rp, and we arent really sure ultra stayed true this entire time, but rp has.”

FRAM FILTERS ARE CRAP!! FIRST TIME IN 50 years had an oil filter failure!! It was FRAM!! FRAM never acknowledged the failure and lucky for me did not lose the engine. Royal Purple or WIX ( non MOPAR cars). No garbage brands. After seeing Royal Purple Filter I am impressed.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
As I mentioned previously I use PUP 5-30 and a RP filter but I occasionally get the dreaded start up tap (72K). Any cure?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As I mentioned previously I use PUP 5-30 and a RP filter but I occasionally get the dreaded start up tap (72K). Any cure?
A decades worth of work at ram forum says redline 5w30 with a royal purple filter gives you an 80% chance at killing that tick, lubeguard biotech (same science} we call it "poor mans redline" is about 50% effective. There are threads for both, check them out. It has nothing to do with brand, but the science is solid, high oil soluble molybdenum and aw/ep additives with ester base oils, in redlines case even branched chain pao base oils. You can take part in those threads as well, if you try it post your results. Biotech you can just dump it in with current oil change, see what happens. good luck, read those threads for more detailed info. if it works or not post up the true results, peace

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I only use Mobil 1 in my cars and motorcycles but now am trying to decide whether to switch to 5w-30 for the summer towing and camping season

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I only use Mobil 1 in my cars and motorcycles but now am trying to decide whether to switch to 5w-30 for the summer towing and camping season

??? Mobil 1 doesn't make a 5W-30?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
??? Mobil 1 doesn't make a 5W-30?
Why yes they do have Mobile One 5w30, can see lots of it for sale on Amazon: Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W-30 Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Mobil 1 124044 ESP Formula Engine Oil 5W30

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Why yes they do have Mobile One 5w30, can see lots of it for sale on Amazon: Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W-30 Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Mobil 1 124044 ESP Formula Engine Oil 5W30

Um, that was a half-joke. I'm fully aware as having worked for Mobil. Read runamuck's statement again.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modern specs have made for uniform formulas, just a fact. Oils otc are just similar to each other in almost in every way. Pennzoil is popular because of gTl base oil and fca spec, thus it is number one here, cant go wrong. But you also cant go wrong with kirkland synthetic oil that carries the main specs but is gonna be cheaper and high moly to boot. People like redline because it is in fact different then the field, group 4/5 base oils super high ep/aw additives, you simply cannot find anything like that on the shelf, been proven to silence hemi tick, you can't go wrong with that either. You get to chose, the house brand = pennzoil, save some dollars kirkland, high additives and protection = redline, or something inbetween. Poor mans redline is addiing lubegard biotech to any otc oil, thus making the formula "similar" with redlines. One man's best is different from anothers, I say the same bets are to stay with the top 4 choices on the board in the polling, pennzoil, m1, amsoil, or redline. But I can't say any oil with modern specs wont be just as good with those oils that also carry those specs. Dexos is the main spec they are hunting, the highest standar, if you see the dexos label use with confidence.

Oil filters, look into spun microglass, fram ultra or royal purple gonna be top shelf, see oil filter thread first 20 pages and the last 20 pages, eye opening stuff.

If you see this on the bottle even if it is cheap, it is quality.

View attachment 489869

dexos brands here

Stay away from FRAM. Working on cars and trucks for 50 years and had only one oil filter failure. In my own car. Called FRAM and they asked for the filter to be returned to them for inspection. Never heard back. In my opinion Royal Purple is the best on the market.

Attachments

• 02EEAE2D-C8CC-4E0B-859F-9819CBD55FB7.jpeg
    02EEAE2D-C8CC-4E0B-859F-9819CBD55FB7.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 17

Patrick2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get oil and filters anywhere from Walmart to Autozone. As far as brands, Pennzoil, Mobile 1, Redline etc synthetic. As far as filters, run those designed for synthetic oil (Fram, Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Wix etc) as the bypass limit is much higher. The 5.7l uses 7 quarts and manufacturers interval is 7k miles. I still change mine about every 3k miles or so.
So what are your thoughts on the Wix filter compared to the others?

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So what are your thoughts on the Wix filter compared to the others?
I personally have never used them but have friends that swear by them. I use Fram myself but I grew up on Fram & Pennzoil. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if Fram want available.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wix have low filtration.

Top two are Fram Ultra and Royal Purple. I wouldn't use anything else. In fact there isn't much point in using a filter at all if they get too porous. They just become a waste of money for about zero wear reduction.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are several pretty good oil filter comparisons on YouTube. One of the more recent ones compares 10 filters from ranging from cheapest to most expensive. They cover constuction, material, filtration particle size, and price. The Wix was rated fairly well in the comparison.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You will find lots of posters recommending Mobile 1. Its really, really hard to find, so if you can't find it, buy some Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 works just as good, and I usually pick some up when I pass through Mobile, Alabama.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now hey .....I've heard great things about *this* system, for the ultimate filtration. The upside is it saves that annoying trip to the parts store when you could be drinking beer on a Sat morning. The downside is you might get chased with a roller pin when your significant other discovers you used up the last roll ;). Give it a shot and let us know how it 'goes':

1668799972185.png

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fram Ultra and any API SP 20/30 grade oil you find at Walmart. The cheapest, the better...You're welcome.