Best performance mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 6" skyjacker lift and 35" tires and 20" wheels. My truck has plenty of power and descent fuel economy for turning 35's but I would like more power and better fuel economy. That might be an oxymoron. I looked into a super charger but I am not interested in spending $7500.00 plus installation. I currently have an Airaid system and a true cowl induction hood that funnels straight to the Airaid air box. I also, have true duals on it already. Is there any mod I can do that will boost performance and fuel economy. I also, want my stock tranny and equipment to not have too much stress and be able to handle the mod. Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1454 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_1454 (1280x960).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1450 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_1450 (1280x960).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 125

Adams2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 6" skyjacker lift and 35" tires and 20" wheels. My truck has plenty of power and descent fuel economy for turning 35's but I would like more power and better fuel economy. That might be an oxymoron. I looked into a super charger but I am not interested in spending $7500.00 plus installation. I currently have an Airaid system and a true cowl induction hood that funnels straight to the Airaid air box. I also, have true duals on it already. Is there any mod I can do that will boost performance and fuel economy. I also, want my stock tranny and equipment to not have too much stress and be able to handle the mod. Any suggestions? Thanks

I would start with a 87MM Thorttle body from Moes
That will help....also if you don't already have one a catch can is a great investment protector

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would start with a 87MM Thorttle body from Moes
That will help....also if you don't already have one a catch can is a great investment protector

I bought this truck used and the Airaid was already on it. I think it has an aftermarket throttle body because when I hit the gas it wines like a turbo. This might just be the Airaid I am not sure. How much taller is an aftermarket throttle body? And what is a catch can?

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could look into a tuner probably...that would get you some gains in MPGs if you use the right tune. Awesome truck by the way.

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You could look into a tuner probably...that would get you some gains in MPGs if you use the right tune. Awesome truck by the way.

Thanks for the info and advise and the compliment.

Adams2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought this truck used and the Airaid was already on it. I think it has an aftermarket throttle body because when I hit the gas it wines like a turbo. This might just be the Airaid I am not sure. How much taller is an aftermarket throttle body? And what is a catch can?

If it wines you might not have a Thorttle body you might have a Thorttle body spacer and that is Complety useless....and the catch can

The Billet Tech Catch Can slows down and filters oil that may end up in the intake and combustion chambers. Oil in the combustion chamber could lower octane ratings that may cause your automobiles computer to sense knock/KR. This may cause a decrease in performance. The Billet Technology Catch Can helps decrease the symptoms of the scenarios described. So as you can see, the Billet Tech Catch Can not only looks good as stated, but performs flawlessly.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What gears are you running? Are they stock?

Going with a lower gear ratio than stock will relieve stress off your trans when turning those 35" tires.

If you have stock 3.55 you might want to consider 3.92 or even 4.10's. I went from stock 3.73 to 4.56 when i lifted my 04 tahoe with 35" tires. It was the best thing i couldve done. Increase in power and real world 3mpg increase.

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What gears are you running? Are they stock?

Going with a lower gear ratio than stock will relieve stress off your trans when turning those 35" tires.

If you have stock 3.55 you might want to consider 3.92 or even 4.10's. I went from stock 3.73 to 4.56 when i lifted my 04 tahoe with 35" tires. It was the best thing i couldve done. Increase in power and real world 3mpg increase.

I assume I am running stock but as I mentioned I bought the truck used. I need to contact Dodge and get a build sheet to know what gears I have from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong on this but going from a 3.55 to a 3.92 or 4.10 will give me more torque and pulling power but the fuel mileage will drop. Am I correct or incorrect?

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If it wines you might not have a Thorttle body you might have a Thorttle body spacer and that is Complety useless....and the catch can

The Billet Tech Catch Can slows down and filters oil that may end up in the intake and combustion chambers. Oil in the combustion chamber could lower octane ratings that may cause your automobiles computer to sense knock/KR. This may cause a decrease in performance. The Billet Technology Catch Can helps decrease the symptoms of the scenarios described. So as you can see, the Billet Tech Catch Can not only looks good as stated, but performs flawlessly.

I just looked up the Billet Tech Catch Can and now know what it is. I would like to install a throttle body and a catch can but I am not very mechanically inclined unfortunately. Is it something anyone can do or do you need some experience?

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just looked up the Billet Tech Catch Can and now know what it is. I would like to install a throttle body and a catch can but I am not very mechanically inclined unfortunately. Is it something anyone can do or do you need some experience?

eazy installs ever on both of the mods.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
like chuck mentioned go for a tuner it really helps with hp & mpg's

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I assume I am running stock but as I mentioned I bought the truck used. I need to contact Dodge and get a build sheet to know what gears I have from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong on this but going from a 3.55 to a 3.92 or 4.10 will give me more torque and pulling power but the fuel mileage will drop. Am I correct or incorrect?

Correct in the sense that you will get more torque down to the wheels. What happens when going with a taller tire is that it makes your truck think you went with a lower numerical ratio.
Essentially your truck struggles to keep the same speed making your MPG drop. When you lower your gear ratio (higher numerically) to say a 3.92 or 4.10 even, is you're allowing your truck to move with less stress. Those lower gears help your truck move at a given speed with less effort thus giving you better MPG :)

Trust me, I thought my MPG would drop when I did mine but it did improve. Of course results do vary but they will improve.
What you have to figure out is to what ratio you need to put in your truck to get it as close to stock or slightly better.

Last edited:

Adams2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

They are pretty simple I am not mechanically inclined and I had no trouble

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OP, the best mods you could do at this point without spending big money would be a Trinity t1000, 87mm Ported Throttle Body, and a Catch can.

Here is what we can do for you on a combo price w/ a satin catch can $919.99 delivered for all three, if you find a lower price ANYWHERE we will match it or beat it :), If you would like custom tuning that is a little extra but we can get you a killer deal on that as well.

If you would rather have a Bully Dog Hemi PLUS, or Diablo Sport Intune DCX we can certainly work a quote together for you on those as well.

We maintain the lowest prices and best bundles on anything RAM performance just reach out to us @ [email protected] or send me a PM

check it all out

Diablo Sport Trinity T1000

Bully's Performance Catch Cans

Bully's Performance 87mm Ported throttle body

thanks
Jeremiah
Bully's Performance

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What cost including install would I be looking at to change my 3.55s to something that would give me better in town stop&go MPG?

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I took some pictures this afternoon. I believe the red looking spacer is just that, a spacer. I assume the spacer is why I get a whining noise that sounds like a turbo when I accelerate or let off the gas? I took a pic of my hood which is actually a working cowl. I was worried about water getting in but it seems not to. With 35" tires what gear ratio should I go with? How much are gears and how much would it cost to have them installed. I would need front and rear correct? I assume I already have LSD since I have a 2011 1500 4x4 but maybe it is an open rear end. I will also try to look on the rear diff and see if it says what current gear ratio I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1517 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_1517 (1280x960).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1518 (960x1280).jpg
    IMG_1518 (960x1280).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1519 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_1519 (1280x960).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1520 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_1520 (1280x960).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 37

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You should measure the inlet of your TB to see if it is ported or not, stock size is 80mm I believe for the 2011 and if you have any bigger such as the 85 or 87 you are good on that. If you Tune I would definitely go with the Catch Can, these Hemi's love to recirc oil and that doesnt run to well with a tune from what I hear.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You should measure the inlet of your TB to see if it is ported or not, stock size is 80mm I believe for the 2011 and if you have any bigger such as the 85 or 87 you are good on that. If you Tune I would definitely go with the Catch Can, these Hemi's love to recirc oil and that doesnt run to well with a tune from what I hear.

I agree with this^^^^

OP
OP
cgs1967

cgs1967

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I will measure the inlet and let you know. Is a catch can the same thing as a Bypass? If so I will probably purchase an Amsoil Bypass since I am a dealer and get a price discount.