Ticking??? (YouTube video?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shopped called me a little bit ago and gave me their assessment. The tech didn’t think anything sounded wrong with it and it sounded how a Hemi is going to sound around a 100k. He had their senior tech listen and drive it around both cold and hot and he didn’t discern anything abnormal either. That definitely makes me feel better. I’ll keep listening to it and see if anything changes, I have an appt with a dodge dealership in about a month and if the sound changes I’ll go there, if not I’ll cancel the appt. Thank you all for your input, I’ll come back with updates if anything changes. I’m still going to check those manifolds for my peace of mind.
I would change the oil, and only the oil. If it is just the oil, the valve train will stop singing. Its a cheap way of narrowing things down. Remember, the singing is because of metal on metal and you want to prevent this before it becomes a permanent "tic".

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would change the oil, and only the oil. If it is just the oil, the valve train will stop singing. Its a cheap way of narrowing things down. Remember, the singing is because of metal on metal and you want to prevent this before it becomes a permanent "tic".
I’ll give that a try, I must have the only Hemi that doesn’t like Redline. I think I’ll try Pennzoil 5-30, the Pennzoil appears to be what my engine likes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’ll give that a try, I must have the only Hemi that doesn’t like Redline. I think I’ll try Pennzoil 5-30, the Pennzoil appears to be what my engine likes.
We have a when not to use redline thread here, the reason is because their products really do push the limits and are very powerful. One of the times not to use redline is in a high mileage hemi, this board has proven this is a risk of increased noise due to hyper cleaning. Now, in theory the heavy additive package would create a plate on the loud spots if you are patient, if not that is understood as well. Usually battling a tick superceeds any considerations of using a high performance oil in an older ram, but again that is up to each owner. There is a reason why this forum has seen the results we see with various redline products, because they are built different, they do hold their properties in the heat, something that can cause issues in certain applications. Using a HP oil or additive is not always the play to make, they do carry risks.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have a when not to use redline thread here, the reason is because their products really do push the limits and are very powerful. One of the times not to use redline is in a high mileage hemi, this board has proven this is a risk of increased noise due to hyper cleaning. Now, in theory the heavy additive package would create a plate on the loud spots if you are patient, if not that is understood as well. Usually battling a tick superceeds any considerations of using a high performance oil in an older ram, but again that is up to each owner. There is a reason why this forum has seen the results we see with various redline products, because they are built different, they do hold their properties in the heat, something that can cause issues in certain applications. Using a HP oil or additive is not always the play to make, they do carry risks.
Thanks for directing me to that link, that is a great thread with lots of great info and now I understand why I should not use Redline oil in my truck. Ironically after driving my truck over the last few days the sound seems to have softened and quieted down but I’m still going to change the oil sooner rather than later and try a 5w-30.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I never said you shouldnt use redline in your situation, just that it is a risk, and as you are experiencing, the longer you run it the more it quiets. Not hype but rather science, it is the science of high performance oils. Oils that quiet immediately are due to viscosity, oils that quiet overtime is due to EP additives. If you want to know more check out the science of extreme pressure additives on oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would never move to redline in a high mileage non ticking hemi thanks to the reports of many ram forum members overtime, to me the juice isnt worth the squeeze. However, to date we still havent found anything close to 5w30 redline and a royal purple 20-820 for combating tick. I am the first person speaking out whenever there is a potential replacement, because I don't care about brand just formula. But everytime we get a formula that kills it on paper, it hasnt translated to the ability to kill that hemi tick except the redline. A close second is lubeguard biotech, which ironically is very similar science as redline, just less of it. Now, I would use biotech in a non ticking high mielage hemi, that hasnt prove to carry the same risks and it very beneficial to protecting the cams with heavy EP additives and EP base oils considering the ester content.

Sum it up, if it aint broke dont fix it, but then again if it is broke then fix it.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never said you shouldnt use redline in your situation, just that it is a risk, and as you are experiencing, the longer you run it the more it quiets. Not hype but rather science, it is the science of high performance oils. Oils that quiet immediately are due to viscosity, oils that quiet overtime is due to EP additives. If you want to know more check out the science of extreme pressure additives on oil.
I was more so meaning I shouldn’t have taken the initial risk with Redline because I didn’t do enough homework on everything the product does. I know on an older engine a “good cleaning” isn’t always a good idea and I didn’t realize Redline does that I was stupidly assuming it just had more viscous properties.

Alejandro Nadales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8V Hemi

Here is about a min long vid of my engine running. This was from a cold start, I don’t feel as though you can hear it as well until I’m on the passenger side of the truck. I also feel like the tick is more audible when the truck is fully warmed up. There doesn’t seem to be a loss in power, my fuel economy really hasn’t changed much either averaging about 15mpg. The ticking doesn’t get louder with higher rpms just more frequent and then at about 1500rpm I can’t hear it any longer. If I have all the accessories (radio/ heat) in the truck turned off I can hear the tick clearly inside the truck at idle, especially if it’s drive or reverse. It quiets down but is still audible when it’s in park.

What do you all think? Sorry about quality of the sound, when I have my truck back from the shop and if I don’t have it resolved I’ll take better sound clips.
I'm almost sure you have a broken bolt in the exhaust manilfod, a common issue in HEMI engines

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah..your not alone..
I ran Redline for about 4-5 changes with the RP filter back when i 1st got my truck used at 73k for good prevenative measures as i read from the good folks here....I didn't hear any difference in sounds around my engine..it happens i guess.almost 150k now.
I just couldn't justify the costs associated with it if it wasnt making a difference to my ears.
I now run Mobil1 now with Fram xg2...still have the same faint normal sounds of a motor,valve train,injectors etc....sounds not nearly as pronounced as yours though...never was.
I can hear your concerns around diff.parts of your engine from your vid and it is hard to diagnose through a vid...sounds louder than normal to me,but I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn last night nor am i an everyday hemi tech like others here with way more experience.
Mine is nothing like that.