best wax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenkins22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what's the best wax i can use for my truck i just got it and want it to look really nice for not to high of a price.
any ideas?

Butters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Collinite is one of my favorites for several reasons: Depth and shine is right there with the expensive waxes, the price is like 15 dollars last I checked at amazon.com, and what really sets it apart is how long it lasts.

I had a friend years ago turn me on to Collinite waxes. He details large boats/yachts for his day job and the marina he works for started stocking the marine grade version of Collinite wax. He knew I was into detailing and gave me a tin to try. Gotta say, for the price, you can't do much better. This wax is unique in the way that you can't allow it to haze or dry on the finish or else it becomes a PITA to buff off. It's Karate Kid style, wax on - wax off a panel or manageable area, repeat til truck is done.

If you were detailing an exotic Ferrari or something show car grade, I'd recommend other waxes, but for daily driver vehicles that one wants to take some great pride in, this wax does it. I have some Chemical Guys Buttery wax lying around and that can't outshine the Collinite but it also washes off a bit when it rains, so the longevity and durability sucks and that is the case with most waxes you can buy at any auto store. Most of their shine/gloss enhancers comes for "polymers" or read the label carefully and see how many times the word "petroleum" appears. Petroleum infused waxes are going to shine well, but tend to wash off within a month. Collinite lasts a good 6 months, but if you are like me, you probably reapply every other month just for piece of mind and to show your awesome paint off.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Daily Driver? Where do you live? Garage kept, or does it sleep outside?

"Best" is incredible subjective, but we have a few options that you'll like, depending on the life the truck will live.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Best wax"?????? I personally use Collinite 845 but that is just my preferred wax. Your question is kinda like getting 15 of your buddies together and asking, "What is your favorite beer?" Everyone has their own favorite and we all think it is the best, longest lasting, cheapest, easiest to use etc etc etc. Go to autopia and autogeek and read about all the different products that are available and which ones to use in your particular situation. It is easy to be overwhelmed by all the information, but if you take your time you will learn a lot. On autopia, listen to the experts, the professional detailers when they talk about different products. Everyone here has their own opinion so be ready to be bombarded with everyone's personal recommendation. This section is sponsored by Adam's so you will hear a lot from them. While I have never used Adam's products, the information Nick(from Adam's) gives you about the process is really good information. IMHO you should think about a sealant and a wax instead of just a wax. The combination will last you a lot longer.
Jay

Last edited:

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, Im with everyone else. "Best" wax is an opinion thing. Like Nick asked, what is the situation of use for the vehicle? With that, we can give you what our opinions would be to use in your situation. And, I'm also a big fan of using sealants as well, since they can usually last longer that a wax does.

OP
OP
J

jenkins22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Daily Driver? Where do you live? Garage kept, or does it sleep outside?

"Best" is incredible subjective, but we have a few options that you'll like, depending on the life the truck will live.

i live in New England so i need wax on steroids i think, she sleeps outside and yes daily driver, and i like to go off roading

Butters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i live in New England so i need wax on steroids i think, she sleeps outside and yes daily driver, and i like to go off roading

Mind boggling, eye crossing amount of options to choose from, but for what it's worth, coming from someone who has spent 8 years nursing my last trucks paint along to maintain showroom condition in the salty Cape Cod conditions, you will be very happy starting with a sealant and going over that with Collinite to achieve that wax on steroids effect.

Another very good setup I am currently using due to protection and durability is Duragloss CCP 111 to start and then whatever wax I feel like using up at the moment. Just personal preference and experience sort of thing, but definitely do the seal/wax combo with whatever products you settle on.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wolfgang 3.0 sealant topped with Collinite 845. Quality sealant last about 6 months(give or take) and a quality wax lasts about 4 weeks. In between waxes use a spray detailer or my preference is Opti Spray Wax after each wash. Remember, this is just my opinion that is based on what works for me, whatever you pick, remember you only have one person to satisfy---YOU.
Jay

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wolfgang 3.0 sealant topped with Collinite 845. Quality sealant last about 6 months(give or take) and a quality wax lasts about 4 weeks. In between waxes use a spray detailer or my preference is Opti Spray Wax after each wash. Remember, this is just my opinion that is based on what works for me, whatever you pick, remember you only have one person to satisfy---YOU.
Jay

great combo indeed.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one

A sealant is your best bet, for sure.

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you some goods to try out. :)

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you may be better served to use a Sealant instead of a wax. It will have longer lasting protection for such harsh elements.

Something like Surf City Professional Hydro-Seal would be great in this situation. Lasts around 4 months, and application is super easy.

Here is the Video!

jojo2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, I would focus on a sealant as well. They will last a lot longer outside than a wax will.

J

jub jub

I've been using Adam's products for about 10 years now and I am more than satisfied. Everyone compliments my Black Corvette about how well it shines when I take it to shows. Give them a try!