Best way to clean out buttons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just picked up the new truck in my sig and noticed that the exhaust brake and rear parking sensor buttons are sticky. They do work, but the buttons take a second to pop back out once pressed.

I noticed some "goo" squeezing out of them when pressing. It's a clear goo and almost looks like the shop that cleaned it up sprayed something on it to shine it up like a silicone tire shine. Any suggestions on how to get this out without damaging the switch panel? I've tried some interior cleaner and a small toothpick but the gaps are so small around the switches that I can't get much in there. Would it hurt to spray some electronics cleaner in there to see if it will clear?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Probably safe, however I’d test the solvent first on an unobtrusive spot to be sure it won’t mar the finish.

If you can find a solvent that will remove the product they used and not damage the dash, I’d try a small fine bristle brush to use as a tool to agitate the material in the crevice.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a picture and post it. I will see if I can help you figure it out. Im leaning towards Shine Supply solution or Koch Chemie ASC.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
1698678714194.png1698678727215.png1698678737109.png

You can see a little bit on the center console. It's clear and super sticky. Not sure what it is but I've seen silicone tire dressing (I think it was Eagle One) get really sticky like that. To note - the tires were coated with a similar mess as well. It took a lot of effort to get it off the rubber.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can *carefully* pop the surrounding trim out and go after it with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are you sure it's tire dressing? It could be that someone just spilled a soda or some other sweetened drink on the buttons. Rubbing alcohol won't be very effective for that. It might be good to just try cleaning with a damp rag to see if any of it comes off.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know what it is but there is no color to it. It doesn't have the consistency of any type of soda that I've ever had to clean off. I did try wiping it off with a damp rag and again with some Chemical Guys interior cleaner. Both times it just made the rags a sticky mess.

I used to do some car detailing on the side and honestly the closest thing that I can compare it to is the Eagle One tire gel based on consistency. I will say that whatever they put on my tires had a similar feeling. It took a lot to get that stuff off. I messaged the dealership this morning to ask what their clean up guy uses, and he said he had no idea.

I will say that it wasn't noticeable at all until I started pressing the buttons. Prior to that it wasn't visible.

The wife thought that it was superglue at first but it never gets hard. It's just a gooey mess.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 530957View attachment 530958View attachment 530959

You can see a little bit on the center console. It's clear and super sticky. Not sure what it is but I've seen silicone tire dressing (I think it was Eagle One) get really sticky like that. To note - the tires were coated with a similar mess as well. It took a lot of effort to get it off the rubber.
I would get these two things and clean them really good. It won't hurt the buttons. I use it on most all of my details.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would try a vacuum to try and remove what you can followed by alcohol .

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try some Dawn dish detergent, put some in a bowl and dilute W/ water use a sponge on the buttons followed by a lint free cloth see if that works, ant then a vacuum to suck up the solution.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would get these two things and clean them really good. It won't hurt the buttons. I use it on most all of my details.

Thanks! I have a set of detailing brushes in my car cleaning tool box. :) True story - long time ago I used to have a side hustle detailing cars. Nothing to your level, but I made some decent side cash with it until my real job took all my time. Now it's just maintenance washes.

I also have a couple of different interior cleaners. I was afraid to spray them too heavily. I'll give this a shot.

ralphsmithiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
use a really soft toothbrush and interior detailer
This typically works pretty well. If you have a steamer available, you can use that with your interior cleaner. Just need to make sure that you cover the steamer head with a microfiber towel in order to not damage any of the plastics. But, I would use that IF none of the other methods solve the problem. It will clean that up, however.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How’s the radio? Has it ever been replaced? I ask because your truck is a 2018 and the 2018’s are notorious for the delaminating 8.4 radio touchscreen. I’ve seen a defective radio leak the LOCA or liquid optically clear adhesive. It’s super sticky and equally hard to remove. The buttons you show in the pictures are directly below the radio and the prime spot for the adhesive to drip down onto. You could have a defective radio and it will continue to happen over and over even after you clean the buttons or its residue from an earlier replacement/repair. That button panel is removable after you remove the center stack trim. It’s secured to the trim ring from behind by phillips screws. If it is LOCA it comes off with isopropyl alcohol but scrubbing the buttons with isopropyl alcohol may remove the black coating/paint.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just get some electrical contact cleaner. Safe for cleaning terminals and the plastic. Should rinse out any grease or whatever is in there and then evaporate away. Disconnect the battery first if worried and give it a few minutes to clear out.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How’s the radio? Has it ever been replaced? I ask because your truck is a 2018 and the 2018’s are notorious for the delaminating 8.4 radio touchscreen. I’ve seen a defective radio leak the LOCA or liquid optically clear adhesive. It’s super sticky and equally hard to remove. The buttons you show in the pictures are directly below the radio and the prime spot for the adhesive to drip down onto. You could have a defective radio and it will continue to happen over and over even after you clean the buttons or its residue from an earlier replacement/repair. That button panel is removable after you remove the center stack trim. It’s secured to the trim ring from behind by phillips screws. If it is LOCA it comes off with isopropyl alcohol but scrubbing the buttons with isopropyl alcohol may remove the black coating/paint.
Just get some electrical contact cleaner. Safe for cleaning terminals and the plastic. Should rinse out any grease or whatever is in there and then evaporate away. Disconnect the battery first if worried and give it a few minutes to clear out.

No it hasn't been replaced and yes I am aware of the issue with the 2018s. My last one was also a 2018 and I replaced the radio in it. I am going to be replacing the screen in this one down the road. I mentioned in one of my threads that the glue is the glue from the screen. It's not showing signs of delamination but it is.

I've removed the switch panel and tried cleaning with isopropyl and all it did was essentially remove some of the paint from the buttons. I've got to attempt to disassemble the switch panel to get underneath the buttons.. that's where the glue is sticking.

I did try electrical contact cleaner as well and it had no effect.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No it hasn't been replaced and yes I am aware of the issue with the 2018s. My last one was also a 2018 and I replaced the radio in it. I am going to be replacing the screen in this one down the road. I mentioned in one of my threads that the glue is the glue from the screen. It's not showing signs of delamination but it is.

I've removed the switch panel and tried cleaning with isopropyl and all it did was essentially remove some of the paint from the buttons. I've got to attempt to disassemble the switch panel to get underneath the buttons.. that's where the glue is sticking.

I did try electrical contact cleaner as well and it had no effect.
I've had the buttons fail in the past as well. The metal bits that act as button returns broke internally. They still worked most of the time but they didn't click like they once did. Eventually I just replaced the panel. Hopefully you manage to get it cleaned out and it works, but glue is pretty tough to remove from electronics without damaging anything. The solvent to remove glue is pretty tough. 3m makes an adhesive remover that works pretty well, but you'd have to take the switch apart to get it in and out of there. Take a pic of the panel. Maybe one of the members that has switched it out to add the aux switches happens to have one off a truck with the same options they can sell for a reasonable just in case https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...switch+&+relay,instrument+cluster+switch,4524

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i saw that, first thing that came to mind was the sticky stuff that is used to apply Automotive wood grain vinyl.
The second thought was a delaminating radio.

Just this week, a video was posted that shows exactly how to disassemble the Auxiliary Switch Panel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357