New instrument switch panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had a sticky exhaust brake button since buying my truck. I have attempted multiple things to clean it, and finally decided to remove it this weekend and inspect what was going on as there is a "goo" that oozes out from between the buttons even after cleaning it.

I took out the center panel and realized that the goo is the glue from the delaminating Uconnect screen. My screen works fine and doesn't appear to be bubbling but there is a sticky puddle at the lower right corner of the screen so I plan to swap the screen out. The glue has oozed down across the back of the center panel and onto the switch panel and in turn made its way into some of the switches.

1700484121244.png

Rather than fighting with this switch panel I'd rather just replace it. I can't find a way to disassemble the switch easily and I've already started wearing the finish off the edges of the buttons by cleaning. Does anyone know of a good source to find one of these used? I'd prefer not to buy a new one since the UAW strike has impacted shipping, but if that's the only option it is what it is.
1700484210652.png

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've had a sticky exhaust brake button since buying my truck. I have attempted multiple things to clean it, and finally decided to remove it this weekend and inspect what was going on as there is a "goo" that oozes out from between the buttons even after cleaning it.

I took out the center panel and realized that the goo is the glue from the delaminating Uconnect screen. My screen works fine and doesn't appear to be bubbling but there is a sticky puddle at the lower right corner of the screen so I plan to swap the screen out. The glue has oozed down across the back of the center panel and onto the switch panel and in turn made its way into some of the switches.

View attachment 532062

Rather than fighting with this switch panel I'd rather just replace it. I can't find a way to disassemble the switch easily and I've already started wearing the finish off the edges of the buttons by cleaning. Does anyone know of a good source to find one of these used? I'd prefer not to buy a new one since the UAW strike has impacted shipping, but if that's the only option it is what it is.
View attachment 532064
Yep, that stuff is a pain to clean too...

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hoping someone on the forum either has one of these laying around or knows of a salvage yard that does... my local yards don't have these. I found one on eBay but it's new from a dealer and likely not actually in stock. That seems to be the going thing right now. This one has hill descent, which most that I'm finding don't seem to have.

1700570098475.png

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hoping someone on the forum either has one of these laying around or knows of a salvage yard that does... my local yards don't have these. I found one on eBay but it's new from a dealer and likely not actually in stock. That seems to be the going thing right now. This one has hill descent, which most that I'm finding don't seem to have.

View attachment 532099
I feel like I have heard of folks opening those to add buttons for AUX functions. If that is the case, it may be serviceable if all you need to do is clean the LOCA (sticky stuff flowing out of your screen) off. That REALLY sucks that it flowed all the way to there, I'm amazed you don't see bubbles in the screen honestly.

Did you buy the truck used? Are you sure the screen wasn't already replaced but the LOCA was just left from the old screen?

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes I bought it used. I'm really surprised that there's no bubbling either.

I'm pretty confident that it hasn't been replaced as when the background image is on the screen about half way down the screen there looks to be a washout effect. Hard to explain but it looks like the glue ran down to about that point. It's not super noticeable, but if you know what you're looking for it's visible. There's also a hard puddle of glue on the bottom right corner of the screen where it dripped and then dried. I found that when I removed the center trim panel to expose the entire screen. It almost looks like a stalactite. My '18 1500 had a clear delamination across the top of the screen and had the ghosting problem. Surprisingly though.... everything works as it should.

I guess my main thing is... I can't figure out how to disassemble the switch without risking damage. Considering how sticky things are, I'm afraid that too much prying is going to break something. This stuff is everywhere. Plus at this point, rubbing alcohol has worn the black off around the edges of the buttons where I was trying to clean between them. I could touch those up (and would) if I could figure out how to get it apart.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes I bought it used. I'm really surprised that there's no bubbling either.

I'm pretty confident that it hasn't been replaced as when the background image is on the screen about half way down the screen there looks to be a washout effect. Hard to explain but it looks like the glue ran down to about that point. It's not super noticeable, but if you know what you're looking for it's visible. There's also a hard puddle of glue on the bottom right corner of the screen where it dripped and then dried. I found that when I removed the center trim panel to expose the entire screen. It almost looks like a stalactite. My '18 1500 had a clear delamination across the top of the screen and had the ghosting problem. Surprisingly though.... everything works as it should.

I guess my main thing is... I can't figure out how to disassemble the switch without risking damage. Considering how sticky things are, I'm afraid that too much prying is going to break something. This stuff is everywhere. Plus at this point, rubbing alcohol has worn the black off around the edges of the buttons where I was trying to clean between them. I could touch those up (and would) if I could figure out how to get it apart.
So when I fixed a screen that had delaminated it looked very similar to what you are describing with an inconsistent backlight across the screen. It's possible yours was fixed but not cleaned up nicely? Regardless, I'll see if I can find what I think I'm remembering with regards to the Aux switches and post here if I do.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So far, it looks like you might be able to get the functionality from the factory upfitter switch panel too but all of the buttons will say Aux instead of their factory functions...

Have yout tried hitting up Benny @AllMoparParts.com ? He's a forum vendor and pretty good at getting folks what they are looking for if it's available.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So when I fixed a screen that had delaminated it looked very similar to what you are describing with an inconsistent backlight across the screen. It's possible yours was fixed but not cleaned up nicely? Regardless, I'll see if I can find what I think I'm remembering with regards to the Aux switches and post here if I do.
I wish I had taken a pic of it while I had it apart so it would be easier to describe. I'm terrible at that.

The backlighting looks fine, but it almost looks like something was poured down the screen and allowed to dry. I've cleaned the screen and when it's off you can't tell, but when it's on you can see the issue. The glue is hanging off the screen itself and you can see where it's oozed out of the bottom corner. I'm fairly certain that it's still the original screen.

What product did you use to clean that stuff off? I've tried 91% isopropyl and goo gone so far. Isopropyl will eventually begin to cut through it but it seems to be taking the paint with it after rubbing it enough. If I could figure out the disassembly without breaking it (I need it to stay functional until I get a new one if I have to go that route) I'd go ahead and give it a whirl.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It will clean the surfaces that it touches, but I can't get it in behind the buttons which is where the glue has settled. The only way that I can get that stuff cleaned out is to disassemble the switch panel. That's where I am struggling. There appears to be a plastic trim ring with some tabs, but upon trying to lift those to separate it I start running into issues. Not sure if it's normally glued or if this glue has made its way into that as well. If I could figure out how to get the buttons apart I could likely get everything back working.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wish I had taken a pic of it while I had it apart so it would be easier to describe. I'm terrible at that.

The backlighting looks fine, but it almost looks like something was poured down the screen and allowed to dry. I've cleaned the screen and when it's off you can't tell, but when it's on you can see the issue. The glue is hanging off the screen itself and you can see where it's oozed out of the bottom corner. I'm fairly certain that it's still the original screen.

What product did you use to clean that stuff off? I've tried 91% isopropyl and goo gone so far. Isopropyl will eventually begin to cut through it but it seems to be taking the paint with it after rubbing it enough. If I could figure out the disassembly without breaking it (I need it to stay functional until I get a new one if I have to go that route) I'd go ahead and give it a whirl.
I get it, that does sound like it's coming out then and hasn't been replaced. I used the same thing you did and it was slow going. @LeeD mentioned denatured alcohol. I'm trying to remember but their was someone that had a novel approach to removing it that seemed to work very well. Again, I'll post if I find it.

@Mpgrimm2 "might" have an idea on how to disassemble the buttons but I'm not sure, most folks don't have reason to get in there...maybe he'll chime in if he knows something

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've never tried to take the switch button assy apart. If there's a how to around here, I won't mind saving a link to it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know that there is a youtube video that shows just how to disassemble the Auxiliary Switch Panel
The video shows the guy removing the Trailer Brake along with the rest of that unit & setting it on a work bench & as he takes everything apart, he explains what is taking place step by step.
If i recall correctly, he started out with blank buttons & switched them out with factory buttons, similar to Heated Seats, etc.

I have been searching for that video for over an hour, i must be using the incorrect words to find the video. I have had no luck.

the only thing i did find, was a website that deals with things involving the Auxiliary Switch Panel, like switching out buttons

4thgenramelectronics

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know that there is a youtube video that shows just how to disassemble the Auxiliary Switch Panel
The video shows the guy removing the Trailer Brake along with the rest of that unit & setting it on a work bench & as he takes everything apart, he explains what is taking place step by step.
If i recall correctly, he started out with blank buttons & switched them out with factory buttons, similar to Heated Seats, etc.

I have been searching for that video for over an hour, i must be using the incorrect words to find the video. I have had no luck.

the only thing i did find, was a website that deals with things involving the Auxiliary Switch Panel, like switching out buttons

4thgenramelectronics
This^^^ is what I'm remembering too!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Here you go...great video for disassembly.

I've never tried to take the switch button assy apart. If there's a how to around here, I won't mind saving a link to it.

It's the YouTube video above I was thinking of.

4thgenramelectronics
Thanks again for jogging my memory, it was easy to find once I stopped searching the forum!

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome find! I'm going to try this over the weekend. I guess I was on the right track, but the glue has partially stuck mine together so I need to work on separating it. Since I was struggling to release those clips I assumed that either this glue made its way in there or it was glued from the factory.

Does the truck throw any error codes if I drive it with the switch cluster removed? The truck's going in for new tint on Friday, so it would be a good time for me to work on that while the truck is in the shop.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome find! I'm going to try this over the weekend.

Does the truck throw any error codes if I drive it with the switch cluster removed? The truck's going in for new tint on Friday, so it would be a good time for me to work on that while the truck is in the shop.
It might store some codes about loosing contact with the module but I don't think you'll have a problem, to be clear I'm not sure though.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good to know. The tint shop is only about 3 miles from the house so I would assume that it wouldn't cause any issues within a 5 minute drive or so. I might gamble it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good to know. The tint shop is only about 3 miles from the house so I would assume that it wouldn't cause any issues within a 5 minute drive or so. I might gamble it.
You'll know right away if it will work or not and if there is a problem reconnecting it should clear the codes after several power cycles. Do you have AlfaOBD? If so that can clear the codes instead of waiting.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't unfortunately, but I'll give it a shot and find out. No big deal. If it gives me grief I'll just leave it until the truck comes back. They're only tinting the two side windows and the windshield so they're only going to have it for 2-3 hrs.