Bilstein 6112 and superlift 4” problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a 2017 Ram 1500 and I just installed a superlift 4” lift kit. I had bilstein 6112’s prior to installing this kit that were at 2.8. With this lift kit I set the bilsteins to 0.8”. Now at full droop and turning maybe half towards lock left or right the new superlift knuckle hits right into the spring. It actually pushes the spring in. I also have JBA upper arms if that helps but I’m hoping it’s an alignment issue as my alignment is very screwed up at the moment. I know people that have used this set up and claimed no problems but has anyone run into this issue on here? Thanks

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any pics? I’d like to see this,it’s about time for me to replace my 5100’s (got 75k on them) and I’m looking at either the 6112’s or Icons.

wonder if the UCA has anything to do with it? With a bracket lift and minimal lift from the Bils a UCA with stock geometry might be needed? Might be best to make sure the alignment is right first then see what you got.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kit do you have Tom? Sorry to hear about that. As Cummings is saying it may be the correction in the uca or hopefully the truck needs an aligment.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kit do you have Tom? Sorry to hear about that. As Cummings is saying it may be the correction in the uca or hopefully the truck needs an aligment.

Superlift 4”

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I wonder if the JBA Ucas require lift to work and with the offset do something funky to the knuckle. It looks like it's happy but who's to say.

I have a similar issue, at full droop all the way turned my knuckle will contact the springs.

I also threw a 1" spacer on the 6112s and stopped them to 1" setting to lose the preload. So that's a whole entire other can of worms not for your thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What’s the spot where the spring contacts the knuckle?

At full droop it’s about half an inch from that coil once you turn left or right depends which side you turn towards that flat part of the backside of the knuckle goes right into the spring. You don’t really feel it either in the steering but it almost crushes the sprint into the shock. I’m hoping the alignment fixes it but we’ll see.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if the JBA Ucas require lift to work and with the offset do something funky to the knuckle. It looks like it's happy but who's to say.

I have a similar issue, at full droop all the way turned my knuckle will contact the springs.

I also threw a 1" spacer on the 6112s and stopped them to 1" setting to lose the preload. So that's a whole entire other can of worms not for your thread.

How did your ride improve with the preload lower? In dropped mine from 2.8 to .8 with this kit

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How did your ride improve with the preload lower? In dropped mine from 2.8 to .8 with this kit
So much better. Not that it was ever bad before, but you could feel a bit of harshness from preload over sharp manholes. Now it just feels like it floats. I read alot on the accutune site before I made the change. You're gonna love it.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So much better. Not that it was ever bad before, but you could feel a bit of harshness from preload over sharp manholes. Now it just feels like it floats. I read alot on the accutune site before I made the change. You're gonna love it.

awesome only way I could keep my lift is by getting the 4” superlift. I went from 2.8 bilsteins to .8 and my front fender measurements went from 39.5 to 42.25 and rear went from 42ish to 44

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Need to see some pics when its done

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks awesome!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did something similar but with the CV axle. It was corrected after the alignment and haven’t had a problem since. Beautiful truck! Wish I would of gotten mine in the crew cab

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any pics? I’d like to see this,it’s about time for me to replace my 5100’s (got 75k on them) and I’m looking at either the 6112’s or Icons.

wonder if the UCA has anything to do with it? With a bracket lift and minimal lift from the Bils a UCA with stock geometry might be needed? Might be best to make sure the alignment is right first then see what you got.
question are the brand FOX any good ? I see them on all the lifted trucks at my dealer.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
question are the brand FOX any good ? I see them on all the lifted trucks at my dealer.
They sure are. Fox is a very well rooted company in the suspension aftermarket in all aspects. They even supply OEM performance shocks for the Ford Raptor, Toyota TRD pros, and Jeep Rubicon. They have mild to wild. Not always a cheap option, but you pay for what you get. I'm running them in the rear of my truck and they are fantastic compared to my 5100s I had.

The shocks are tunable (through performance shops or when you buy) and fully rebuildable. Off the shelf they are a large improvement over basic Bilstein, Rancho etc shocks. They are a bit more maintenance, but if you're looking at performance suspensions you're already likely pretty familiar with vehicles needs.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They sure are. Fox is a very well rooted company in the suspension aftermarket in all aspects. They even supply OEM performance shocks for the Ford Raptor, Toyota TRD pros, and Jeep Rubicon. They have mild to wild. Not always a cheap option, but you pay for what you get. I'm running them in the rear of my truck and they are fantastic compared to my 5100s I had.

The shocks are tunable (through performance shops or when you buy) and fully rebuildable. Off the shelf they are a large improvement over basic Bilstein, Rancho etc shocks. They are a bit more maintenance, but if you're looking at performance suspensions you're already likely pretty familiar with vehicles needs.

Thanks for the info