Bilstein rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EFD317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I picked up a set of Bilsteins for a good price and took it to a local shop for install. Now generally I do my own work, but with 2 little ones and work, it is just more time effective to take it in.

They quoted $280 to install and align. Not bad in my mind. Well, they called and said they misquoted and it would now be $380...would I like to proceed. Not thrilled about another hundo, but go ahead.

Then another call...we can’t get the upper mount nut off. We may need to torch it off, and if we do, we will need to get new mounts to the tune of $280! Ummmmm, how about no. I told them to split the nut, cut the nut, whatever you need to do, but don’t torch it off.

Got a sitter and headed up to the shop to make sure they were not trashing my truck. The tech managed to cut it off with an abrasive disk. Waiting on it to be done now, but jeez.

I’m not totally pissed at the shop, but I would never expect the nut to be so shot on such a new truck. So a word of advise for anyone that’s gonna do any work on these...PB BLASTER the hell out of all of the fasteners early and often. Hope it’s all worth the headache. Will advise.

End rant

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea, not a surprise. Went down that road in my f150 when I did the 5100s. And I had it at a reputable 4x4 shop too. Lesson learned. When I did my 6112s I bought all new oem strut parts. That cost me like 400$. So don't feel too terrible. Still sucks. It's the nickle and some stuff that will always get ya

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so its not really a bilstein rant, more a leveling rant lol

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
More of a rust rant lolol

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EFD317

EFD317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I suppose it’s more of a living in the Rust Belt rant

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i'm with you though on being pissed about the extra $100 from the shop.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That thing is shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk