Blue DEF Platinum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wondering what would be the difference between the "Platinum" (@ $20/jug) versus the regular Blue DEF (@ ~$12/jug... F-Platinum-2_5gal-quarter-side-view-e1595449108513.png

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Difference ...Nothing but marketing gimmick. DEF is DEF. It is nothing but an after treatment.

Can't believe they are even making the statement "Optimum fuel economy" What a crock of crap!! It has no, none, zero, nada, effect on fuel economy. It is sprayed in the SCR downstream in the exhaust so how in the world can it effect fuel economy???? And avoid costly repairs? Of what???

OP
OP
Summit1

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The only thing I can imagine is, if true, would help to keep the DEF injector cleaner, but that is likely better achieved by not using really old fluid (i.e., let the level drop to ~1/4 and then add a jug (not "topping it off" unless using a lot of it). Aside from that, the "Platinum" is probably not worth the extra $7-8 per jug.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If they can make people BELIEVE it is better and spend the extra unnecessary $$ they have accomplished their goal. It's no different than all the unnecessary additive market. Just a waste of $$.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Of course it's better just read this.

Low-quality DEF can generate deposits that lead to back pressure, sacrificing fuel economy and engine power in the process, the company says.

Hilarious, "the company says". I guess we should believe them right?
Again, it's no different than the outrageous claims put on the bottles with no scientific proof by the manufacturers of useless additives.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
But is it has "Advanced SystemShield" technology because lord knows that is way better than just plain "SystemShield" technology. Judging from the MSDS it looks like "Advanced SystemShield" technology means worse quality control. The MSDS for the Platinum Blue DEF lists Urea 32% - 33% and water 67% - 68% while regular Blue DEF lists Urea 32.5% and water 67.5%. Seems like the regular DEF is a more exact mixture.

DonandPam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 DRW with 63,000 miles. Got a check engine light so pulled codes and says Nox #1, and SCR, DPF failure. So I called BS. Cleared codes and drove a few days and light back on. Pulled codes and they were different codes. BS again. This went on for a couple weeks then I remembered I put that Platinum crap in to try it out. Wrong thing to do. Drained the DEF tank and refilled with regular Blue. Pulled my heavy ass fifth wheel 300 miles and no light and no codes. DO NOT PUT THAT **** IN YOUR RAM CUMMINS