Brake Transmission Shift Interlock affect clock spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uriel Magana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Hello all,
This past summer, my truck was serviced for a recall in which they replaced the Brake transmission shift interlock and bracket-steering. The day I left the dealership, I heard a weird clicking noise whenever I turned the wheel that was not there before. I didn't think much of it. Six months later or so, the airbag light turned on, the buttons on the steering wheel don't work, my horn doesn't work, and neither does my cruise control. My mechanic said it was a faulty spring clock. He said it's possible that when they did the recall they must have done something to mess with the spring clock. I called the dealer and they made an appointment, and said if it was the recall then they would fix it, but if it something else they would charge me for the diagnostic.

Is anyone familiar with this situation? Is it possible the recall affected the clock spring? I'm just trying to save myself $700+ from the greedy dealers if I need to fix it, so if anyone can give me advice on what to do let me know. Thanks!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don’t see how they could damage the clockspring doing the shift interlock recall. Ya it’s in the same area but the clockspring is behind the steering wheel.

The noise you probably heard was the wheel rubbing on the column upper and lower trim pieces. If they’re not put on properly they can rub on the back of the wheel.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t see how they could damage the clockspring doing the shift interlock recall. Ya it’s in the same area but the clockspring is behind the steering wheel.

The noise you probably heard was the wheel rubbing on the column upper and lower trim pieces. If they’re not put on properly they can rub on the back of the wheel.
Uriel, based on this, take a look at the connectors going to the steering column to see if any came loose or weren't reconnected all the way. Disconnect the battery before messing with them, you don't want the airbag to deploy.