Bulb Socket ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The dumb question of the day is

Last week had to change the passenger side rear stop light bulb 3057.
the socket was like a overheated brown color !
Today pulled driver side light out as I saw some moisture and wanted to change that bulb as well !
That socket also looked the same color.
I was thinking going to LED for less heat but finding a LED that works w/o a resistor sucks lol
So is the over heated brown color normal ?
Thanks

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Unfortunately I've seen burnt / overheated plugs on all manufacturers taillights with a 3057 bulb. LED is the wat to go. I get mine from Amazon and have converted Fords Chevy, Dodge, & RAMs. Even my tractor.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Unfortunately I've seen burnt / overheated plugs on all manufacturers taillights with a 3057 bulb. LED is the wat to go. I get mine from Amazon and have converted Fords Chevy, Dodge, & RAMs. Even my tractor.
Thank You
What LED's have you used that did not require a resistor or Alpha ?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You can try these if they fit, I have their fog lights and they were plug n play.

Thank You . Yes they are the right size !
I may take a gamble on them for my tail lights to see if they do not hyper flash/light out warning !
I will only be out 30$ so that would no break the bank lol
But so far all I have heard is use Alpha or a resistor. And with those you loose the light out warning !
Thank you for the reply. I bookmarked the bulbs

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
let us know how well they worked and how you like them

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It always makes you uneasy, but I wouldn't worry about a little discoloration of the plastic socket. As long as the lamp fits snug, makes good contact and lights up the way it should. I haven't seen one melt to the point of ruining the contact points or wiring on it and I don't think ever read about it online.

I think whole replacement tail lamp assemblies are like $60/ea worst case scenario, or crimp in a new harness if things go south. I'm still not big on aftermarket LEDs. They just don't look right to me in a housing that wasn't designed around LED.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It always makes you uneasy, but I wouldn't worry about a little discoloration of the plastic socket. As long as the lamp fits snug, makes good contact and lights up the way it should. I haven't seen one melt to the point of ruining the contact points or wiring on it and I don't think ever read about it online.

I think whole replacement tail lamp assemblies are like $60/ea worst case scenario, or crimp in a new harness if things go south. I'm still not big on aftermarket LEDs. They just don't look right to me in a housing that wasn't designed around LED.
The way I am leaning now is staying with the 3057 regular bulb.
Thanks for the info on the socket,
When I pulled the drives side off that socket was also discolored, And found a few post about it !
It does seem to be a common issue !