Buying my first Ram. All advice welcomed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would look into the 4.7 I get 17 around town and 22 highway which I do believe it's the same as the v6 that is as long as you keep your foot out of it and it has good but not grate towing numbers I bought my 2012 4.7 with 50k for $19.500 and it is 4x4

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone who took a bath on an Ecodiesel I recommend running away from them as fast as possible. I just dumped that thing for the identical truck with a HEMI and will never look back. All the tuning you have to do with the Ecodiesels just to get them to run halfway decent is a pain because the US government won't let you get tunes from inside the country. i had nothing but recall after recall with it, and everyone of them didn't have a solution when they released the recall. On top of that every recall could have resulted in a deadly fire or crash with the vehicle. The motors are Italian made. can you say FIAT?

Ya know...Fiat OWNS Ram...right? So if your truck is a 2015 or newer....Fix it again Tony! History | FCA Group

There is so much misinformation in this thread alone (not this specific post!) about the ecodiesel.
-Yes, there are lots of EGR issues, mostly the fact that FIAT can't provide them fast enough.
-Yes, about 5% of them blow out the bottom end...and almost every time the owner gets a new engine with no further troubles.
-No, FCA did not buy VM Motori (not Motoroni!) because the started using their 3.0L TurboDiesel. Fiat owned part of VM already and GM owned the other part. GM originally used that same engine in European Cadillacs, but abandoned that plan when Diesel fell out of favor in Europe, so they sold their share to FIAT...now known as FCA.

FWIW I have 220,000 almost trouble free miles on my EcoDiesel...and for me the economics work very well. The only real added cost is DEF which is consumed at roughly 800-1000mpg. Oil changes are a wash, as the EcoD specifies Full Synthetic every 10K miles. Yes it costs more, but you change it half as often as a gasser...a wash. AND...there are so many more examples of folks that use the EcoDiesel for it's intended purpose with no more trouble then anyone else and have way over 100K miles.

For the record, I am NOT suggesting everyone buy an EcoDiesel...hardly...only those for which it really makes sense. Based on my experience I would have suggested to the OP to buy EXACTLY what he bought...the V6 gasser, as it seems to make the most sense for HIM and his specific needs. In fact, that may be my next move as my 52Kmiles/year average will be dropping in the coming years, which may dissuade me from another diesel. It always bothers me when people respond to requests for advice like the OP did where they say something like "Ive had good luck with X, so buy X", or "my brother in law had and X and it sucked, so buy anything but the X". This is not helpful...the guy is asking for advice for his specific use case...so if you can't offer that sort of specific advice...

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Welcome to the group/ I have had my 2015 SLT Quad can V6 and 3:21 gears since 2016 ! For me works fine, BUT have not tried other gear ratio to compare the difference !
I do not tow but may later have a small boat !
If towing a Travel trailer from what I read the other gears and a Hemi /Diesel are better but doable with the 3:21's
I also use my RAM mainly as a daily driver no off road just a street queen !
My mpg average is 21 mpg.
As for Diesel from what I have read here they have to be used and not sit ! But as mentioned expensive to maintain
So for me from all I have read I am staying away from the diesel ! But I bet many Diesel owner will differ :)

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I'd be leary of both these.Pretty low mileage on both to already be traded in.I'd be thinking they both has some issue the previous owner was sick of dealing with already.

Good point, but if you are buying these from a dealer ask to see the CARFAX or equivilent, It might show if the trucks were trouble prone or in accidents. it's not 100% reliable but it could help with how many owners, and recalls done or accidents.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As always, get the LSD 3.92 Rear End

But I've been thinking......

If it has the 8 Speed Transmission, I'd negotiate the deal. Pay cash, of course. Before you hand over your moola, tell them to service the transmission, or the deal is off.

Then, finally, before you hand over your moola, have BOTH keys in your hand. I've heard of some dealers ripping guys off by giving them only one (expensive) key.

OP
OP
S

Senzapaura

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
As always, get the LSD 3.92 Rear End

But I've been thinking......

If it has the 8 Speed Transmission, I'd negotiate the deal. Pay cash, of course. Before you hand over your moola, tell them to service the transmission, or the deal is off.

Then, finally, before you hand over your moola, have BOTH keys in your hand. I've heard of some dealers ripping guys off by giving them only one (expensive) key.

OP
OP
S

Senzapaura

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Funny that you mention the key. I had to specifically ask the sales guy for the second key which I thought was a bit off. I have to admit that this was the most stereotypical car buying experience in all the wrong ways...

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I agree. the 6 cyl is by far the most reliable. For modest/light towing, go with the 3.55 gears for sure. I agree, the 6cyl is very pleasant to drive around town. Wish I'd bought a 6cyl instead of my ecodiesel, don't do hardly any of the towing I envisioned when I bought it.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd be leary of both these.Pretty low mileage on both to already be traded in.I'd be thinking they both has some issue the previous owner was sick of dealing with already.

That's sort of an old way of thinking and not always accurate. I traded in a 6 year old 2012 with 31k miles on it. I often worked 48 or 72 hour shifts which meant I only commuted once or twice a week. And I usually took a commuter rail to work except in bad weather, so it wasn't a commuter vehicle. My 2019 just hit 11k miles.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a new truck after an expensive three years with a 2008 Tacoma and I’m strongly leaning towards a Ram. I have a test drive scheduled with a 2019 classic V6 with less than 10k on it but I just came across a 2018 ecodiesel with less than 30k for nearly the same price. My question to the group is this: Would it be worth my while to consider the diesel? My understanding is that it’s expensive to maintain. Is that true? I’ll bullet point my situation below. Thank you for your time and consideration!

My daily commute is 50 miles round trip including 36 at highway speeds in Massachusetts.

I’m a home owner and my truck is the designated dump runner and/or leaf hauler for the family.

I’m not towing anything at the moment (the hitch on my Tacoma was unusable) but I do have a double axle cargo trailer and I’d like to have the flexibility to borrow a friend’s travel trailer from time to time.

Reliability is huge to me. This would be my only means of transportation.

The first photo is the 2019 and the other is the eco diesel. Thank you again!

View attachment 229475

View attachment 229476
Nothing to add here but perfect color choice. :D

Rieggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I commute 50 miles round trip 5 days a week. Hemi with 3.92 gears. Never worried much about mileage.

I've owned just about every brand, gas and diesel. Cummins,, 7.3, 6.0, 8.1 gas.

Diesel is great if you can afford it and truly have a need.

My 1500 is perfect for what I at this point in my life.

My advice buy the longest bed and biggest tank available.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I commute 50 miles round trip 5 days a week. Hemi with 3.92 gears. Never worried much about mileage.

I've owned just about every brand, gas and diesel. Cummins,, 7.3, 6.0, 8.1 gas.

Diesel is great if you can afford it and truly have a need.

My 1500 is perfect for what I at this point in my life.

My advice buy the longest bed and biggest tank available.

I’d love a diesel at some point in my life. Dream truck is a 2500 sport blacked out for when I win the lottery. 6” lift and 37’s lol. Right now I have a CC with 5.7 box and sometimes I do wish I had the 6’4 box.... but an 8’ wouldn’t fit on my driveway [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rieggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought my Megacab I asked the dealer if I could order one with an 8' box. He looked at me like I was crazy and said why would you want that??

My answer, "why wouldn't I!" :)

NWhunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year