Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just completed this as my first mod to my 15' Lone Star edition. Can't believe it was so close to being done by Dodge, but not done. Luckily it was pretty easy. Thanks to this community for the tips and part numbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just completed this as my first mod to my 15' Lone Star edition. Can't believe it was so close to being done by Dodge, but not done. Luckily it was pretty easy. Thanks to this community for the tips and part numbers!

Yea I found it funny that my 2015 did not have the hole cut out! Wait till you change your first C.A.F. and see what it looks like :O And WELCOME to the group

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
FYI if you tie off the tension cable for the glove box it makes it way easier to retrieve :)

badfishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI if you tie off the tension cable for the glove box it makes it way easier to retrieve :)

What do you mean? I just unclipped it from the glove box...

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write up OP. Tired of seeing all the dust in my truck. Took 5 min to do.

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this mod to my truck. Way easier removing the top glove box. I used a box cutter and a torch to heat the blade up and was pretty painless. Will be nice to cut down some of the dust and what not.

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 V8
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to do this mod after ordering all the parts, and found out the 2017 Big Horn already has it! I'm not sure what other trim levels have it, but I for sure have it on my new truck!

Captain Freon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Ok, I think my 06 needs an air filter, but it's kinda closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. The airflow is crappy, so I think the a/c evaporator coil and the heater coil are already dirty. How the heck do I get at them to clean them???

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I think my 06 needs an air filter, but it's kinda closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. The airflow is crappy, so I think the a/c evaporator coil and the heater coil are already dirty. How the heck do I get at them to clean them???

You and me both. My truck is coming up on 3 years and I just got the mod in the mail today. Figure I should try to clean the system out before I install the filter. I know I can take a vacuum hose and try to clean the housing out. But I can only assume there is a nice layer of crap built up in the system somewhere by now.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
You and me both. My truck is coming up on 3 years and I just got the mod in the mail today. Figure I should try to clean the system out before I install the filter. I know I can take a vacuum hose and try to clean the housing out. But I can only assume there is a nice layer of crap built up in the system somewhere by now.

I was thinking the same thing, personally I will be cutting the opening and using my compressor to blow out the crud into my truck. I plan on putting the vents on head and flooring high outside air but not before taping dryer sheets to the vents and openings. This what I used to do when I detailed cars. If you can access the inlet for fresh air in the truck I would start blowing compressed air there.

reggie16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a ram 2017 big horn, do I need to do this?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a ram 2017 big horn, do I need to do this?

You should already have this, starting in 2016 I think it was they starting installing the cabin air filters from the factory.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Later 2016 models were coming off the line with the door but no filter. Pretty sure 2017 was supposed to come with the filter.

Its easy enough to check. Just take the glove box out and pop off the filter door.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Just did this mod to my truck. Way easier removing the top glove box. I used a box cutter and a torch to heat the blade up and was pretty painless. Will be nice to cut down some of the dust and what not.

When you remove the top glove box do you have access to clean off the existing crud with a vacuum cleaner or something? I see folks using a small hacksaw or Dremel and I am concerned about the crud on the coil? I just received my parts in the mail and will be doing this soon. Want to start off clean!

DKnight521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question, I did this mod and the left side of the cover will not snap on at all. I made sure I cut enough and it was smooth as possible, but no amount of force will get the cover to snap on. Any suggestions?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Push outboard on the door locking tab as you press in firmly on the door face closest to the tab. You will essentially be pressing the tab to the left (in your case) until you hear a click.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

madweazl

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 1500 | '16 2500
Engine
5.7 | 6.4
Question, I did this mod and the left side of the cover will not snap on at all. I made sure I cut enough and it was smooth as possible, but no amount of force will get the cover to snap on. Any suggestions?

Just did this on our '13 and was having a hell of a time getting the cover to latch. I ended up using a small router bit on the Dremel to cut away some of the material on both clips to the cover (effectively making them a little longer so they slipped over the tabs on the air box). I cut away a tiny bit at a time until the cover latched on nice and tight but didn't require any pressure on the actual clips themselves.

Last edited:

DKnight521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this on our '13 and was having a hell of a time getting the cover to latch. I ended up using a small router bit on the Dremel to cut away some of the material on both clips to the cover (effectively making them a little longer so they slipped over the tabs on the air box). I cut away a tiny bit at a time until the cover latched on nice and tight but didn't require any pressure on the actual clips themselves.

Nice! I could not get the cover to snap, so I returned it. Ended up going with more of a redneck approach and duct taped the opening. Works perfectly

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll run out shortly and see if my 17 has the filter in it or not.