Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found it cut down the air volume too much with the stock MOPAR Filter, anyone got a hi flow filter they are using?

I don't use carbon filters because of the reduced flow. No issues with the plain white filters though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Using the K&N filter and I don't have an issue with air flow plenty cold or warm for me.

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Did this mod earlier this week. Used a box-cutter with a new blade. Had to wiggle the filter a bit to get it in, but slid in no problem when I got the angle right. Door snapped on on both sides on the first attempt.

Airflow is slightly reduced but nothing unexpected. Still lots of flow.

I'm using the charcoal filter. Great mod!

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Finally got around to doing this. Pretty easy except for getting the door to snap into place, but finally got it. Went ahead and installed the washable K&N Cabin Filter ! Hopefully it cuts down on all the dust inside the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my 2016 sport a couple days ago. Already ordered the cover and filter. Went to cut it out today and to my surprise, it already has the hole and cover in place from the factory. Great! they are not being idiots anymore and putting in cabin filters.

Except I took the cover off and what do I find inside? Nothing, no filter...

WTH dodge, seriously, F off. My old truck was always covered in pollen inside because of where the intakes are located, which are always covered in oak pollen things, and because forcing recirculate never worked for some reason.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Took a picture of this while replacing with a reusable K&N cabin air filter.

12,000 miles and it caught a lot of debris and dust! Mostly on the back side

aef52283f8321eeed059fddf2d46cb97.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Took a picture of this while replacing with a reusable K&N cabin air filter.

12,000 miles and it caught a lot of debris and dust! Mostly on the back side

aef52283f8321eeed059fddf2d46cb97.jpg

Wow. Now I'm definitely doing this.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wow. Now I'm definitely doing this.
A lot of small organic material from the trees I park under was caught between the folds. This MOD is well worth it.

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nope my '16 did not already have the door. oh well kit is cheap anyway.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
For those of you that drop the motor blower how did you get the black clips off that hold a cloth barrier that is below the lower glove box ? Are the black clip replaceable ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For those of you that drop the motor blower how did you get the black clips off that hold a cloth barrier that is below the lower glove box ? Are the black clip replaceable ?
You don't need to do that. Remove the lower glove box instead.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
You don't need to do that. Remove the lower glove box instead.

I have to go back out and look at it but it didn't look like I had any room to unscrew the motor blow and drop it with just the lower glove box remove...I will check ASAP

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have to go back out and look at it but it didn't look like I had any room to unscrew the motor blow and drop it with just the lower glove box remove...I will check ASAP
Why do you want to remove the blower motor? Are you doing something other than installing the cabin air filter?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
They are simple "Fir Tree" style push in fasteners if I recall currently

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Why do you want to remove the blower motor? Are you doing something other than installing the cabin air filter?

Yeah sorry - I was dropping the motor to check to be 100% sure there are no shavings from the cut out of the filter slot. I used an utility knife and did a good job and 95% sure it's good but I didn't want to turn on the air and mess up the motor.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah sorry - I was dropping the motor to check to be 100% sure there are no shavings from the cut out of the filter slot. I used an utility knife and did a good job and 95% sure it's good but I didn't want to turn on the air and mess up the motor.
Ah, well I'm in the same boat but I watched shavings go in and 14 months later no issues.

I "think" there is ample room at the bottom to collect debris. Consider what gets in there are filter install, you'll be fine not dropping the blower motor.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got my K&N reusable cabin air filter installed yesterday I replaced the fram filter that i had when i did the cabin filter mod about 7000 miles ago. it was getting pretty dirty so i know its doing job there is a lot less dust all over the place inside my truck now which make me happy and this new filter will about pay for its self after the first two cleanings for anyone looking to swap over to the K&N cabin filter the model i bought was the VF2013 and fit my 2014 bighorn with no issues

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Looks like the cabin air filter will be standard starting with the 2017 model year RAM's. Probably explains why somebody has already received the air box with hole cutout already.

imag1328.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Got my K&N reusable cabin air filter installed yesterday I replaced the fram filter that i had when i did the cabin filter mod about 7000 miles ago. it was getting pretty dirty so i know its doing job there is a lot less dust all over the place inside my truck now which make me happy and this new filter will about pay for its self after the first two cleanings for anyone looking to swap over to the K&N cabin filter the model i bought was the VF2013 and fit my 2014 bighorn with no issues

It is crazy how dirty they get! Glad they made it an easy mod and now standard. The cabin being clean is nice and with many of our trucks doing dirty and dusty work this seems like a no brainer.

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered a kit on eBay for $37. By far the cheapest mod I have done. Funny this is my second 4th gen and I didn't know there wasn't a cabin filter. Explains all the dust