Cam/ Lifter failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after taking a break from all of the build stuff. Been a couple years. My girl is hurt. 2013 30,500 miles. 5w20 RL oil changed twice a year regardless. In her defense, she's pulled hundreds of WOT runs. She's been airborne and sideways at 90mph. Few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. She will be taken off Island this weekend and transported to modern muscle extreme next week for the teardown. Dave's going to take real good care of her!

Anyone interested in hearing the symptom:

Watch "HemiExpress2013" on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/HemiExpress2013

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of numbers are you hoping for, 400 plus to the ground this time? Excited to see how it turns out...Modern Muscle seems like the real deal!

TXCOMT

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So, after taking a break from all of the build stuff. Been a couple years. My girl is hurt. 2013 30,500 miles. 5w20 RL oil changed twice a year regardless. In her defense, she's pulled hundreds of WOT runs. She's been airborne and sideways at 90mph. Few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. She will be taken off Island this weekend and transported to modern muscle extreme next week for the teardown. Dave's going to take real good care of her!

What cam & lifters were installed......definitely sound like lifters not pumped up.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2 of the videos don't sound bad but the one that is very dark sounds awful.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
my guess is that those videos are prior to work getting done on his truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Thanks for sharing, I didn't really hear anything that bad til third video, then that sounds pretty ticky for sure. But, no codes? No failure, you are just tearing down because of hemi tick? What oil will you run next time?

Sideways at 90, I like this kid, he should be running the club for sure.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know this is off subject, but how long have you have that valve body upgrade? Did you send yours in or did they have one you paid a core on, if you don't mind me asking? Did it shift better after? Any low rpm bogs, did it need a tune right after or did you wait a while, or was it tuned first? We have been kicking around transmision issues lately, curious on those if you have the time to answer, thanks Burla.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of numbers are you hoping for, 400 plus to the ground this time? Excited to see how it turns out...Modern Muscle seems like the real deal!

TXCOMT

Dave has a beautiful plan already that we discussed over the phone. He's good! 500+ to the wheels without forced air. Once it's tore down, we will know what the options are. Forged is around $12500 but there's other options. As I understand from him, 65rfe is built now for up to 800hp. I'm not giving details. He's the best to explain. Should be up on his site soon. Very excited because tranny conversions are way freaked expensive.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that definitely sounds like a bad lifter/cam.

Looks like we live pretty close to each other, I’m on the Cape...

Next door neighbors really. When it's finished waiting for the boat. Let's stop in and compare idle notes

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for sharing, I didn't really hear anything that bad til third video, then that sounds pretty ticky for sure. But, no codes? No failure, you are just tearing down because of hemi tick? What oil will you run next time?

Sideways at 90, I like this kid, he should be running the club for sure.

Nothing really! Just went one afternoon started her up. Terrible lifter noise after a couple of minutes went away. It's just a perfect excuse to the wife for spending $$$. She's all in! Happy wife, happy life

On the VB, I bought one from the dealership. Sent it to Sharadons for the rework. Initially it was noticeable. Didn't have a problem with lag shifts or dead spots. Then you get use to all of it. Should have went with the stage 3. Just do a relearn on it.

On a side note, opened up the oil filter. No metal in the oil to be seen but once I pressed out the pleats, it was like gold model paint. Very fine glitter, no metal on the magnet?

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d like to get in on the comparison, I live on the cape as well with a 2014 lone star with 58k on it. Would love to check out your truck when it’s done as mine mah have to go down there someday! I have said that if my cam/lifters go south my truck is going to one of those shops and not the dealer

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I changed up my mind. Originally I was gonna stay with the biggest engine I could fit in my engine bay, 6.4 based 454 stroker hemi but I decided to purchase the 6.4 forged stroker package with the Hellcat lifters and the new mopar rocker arms. Crap, the whole nine yards. Oh and the 2.9L whipple. Pretty standard business for a lot of guys but I'm looking forward to the whole feel of power in that pedal. We shall see if these new paramount built 65RFE can handle the pressure. Got to wonder about that 422 though. Matt's setup is just too much power for that transmission.