Cam/ Lifter failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m very interested in that built 65RFE....

Me as well. I knew that paramount was testing mules last year that have the 54rfe. I know they broke a few, did a lot of work to them and got it figured out. They are by no means cheap at $6500 + TC. In it's defense, it is the cheaper alternative. Tranny conversions are $$$. Dave told me over the phone, they will hold 800hp/tq. I don't think I need even that much. 392 + whipple should come out around 600whp +/- a few with the right supporting mods. Fuel and exhaust definitely need to be A+.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me as well. I knew that paramount was testing mules last year that have the 54rfe. I know they broke a few, did a lot of work to them and got it figured out. They are by no means cheap at $6500 + TC. In it's defense, it is the cheaper alternative. Tranny conversions are $$$. Dave told me over the phone, they will hold 800hp/tq. I don't think I need even that much. 392 + whipple should come out around 600whp +/- a few with the right supporting mods. Fuel and exhaust definitely need to be A+.
Wow that isn't cheap but if it's truly bulletproof up to 800hp it might be worth it. I tow a camper with my truck and it's only tuned. But my 65RFE grenading is always in the back of my mind when we're far from home. I'm always conscious of wot downshifts and I change the fluid annually just as precaution. So far so good but I'm definitely interested in a beefed up 65...

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update on this build! After a lot of back and forth with modern mopar extreme concerning what engines, etc for the last 2 months: we decided on a whippled forged 426 with an 8 speed conversion. With all the supporting goodness. Took a while to find a doner truck for the conversion. Engine is being built by MMX and transmission will be built by Paramount! Dave Weber @ MMX is the most honest, true to his word guy I've ever dealt with. He really knows how to reach a goal and get the biggest bang for the dollar. As the built progresses, I will document as much as possible the 8 speed conversion so everyone gets a good idea of how involved it is.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Instawho?

Instawhich?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We'll, I received an update on my build today from Dave Weber. It's Sunday! I won't be getting the whipple on that 426 as we agreed and such. not enough wow factor. He's building a Hellcat stroked to a 426. He said:

"The reason for the Hellcat choice 1) I feel it a blower with OEM quality and reliability 2) It has a dedicated 10 rib drive that is the most reliable in the business 3) The wow factor. Much more impressive in my opinion and appealing than a aftermarket bolt on"

I love this guy!

Last edited:

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mind giving a rough estimate of what that the labor for that 426 swap is running and maybe what the engine ran you? Curious about this for down the road. When mine pops I might be going to get it built or possibly a crate engine

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mind giving a rough estimate of what that the labor for that 426 swap is running and maybe what the engine ran you? Curious about this for down the road. When mine pops I might be going to get it built or possibly a crate engine

All in at $57,500+trucking fees. $27500 for Hellcat, stroker kit with billet forged crank, blower, full updated fuel system, etc. $30000 for donor truck, built 8 speed/transfercase, driveshaft, etc.

You can definitely do this cheaper with a 6.4 engine and whipple but I went with the Hellcat because of the 10 rib drive system oem reliability. Numerous reasons really. Not to mention wow factor. Not only a Hellcat but 426

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All in at $57,500+trucking fees. $27500 for Hellcat, stroker kit with billet forged crank, blower, full updated fuel system, etc. $30000 for donor truck, built 8 speed/transfercase, driveshaft, etc.

You can definitely do this cheaper with a 6.4 engine and whipple but I went with the Hellcat because of the 10 rib drive system oem reliability. Numerous reasons really. Not to mention wow factor. Not only a Hellcat but 426

soooo..when i win the lottery, i guess:dogpile:

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
soooo..when i win the lottery, i guess:dogpile:

It really depends on what you want. MMX has 5-6 options for engine stuff not to mention crate engines. Stroking your existing 5.7 is the biggest bang dollar for horses in my opinion. It's just when you start upgrading oil, rockers, crank, caps, fuel and the countless things around the numbers that ch*t starts hitting you hard.

If you already have the 8 speed, you're ahead. If Not, all you need is the new powernet communications for a 8hp70-75 or 8hp90 swap. But there is a ton of work into a 8 speed swap. Right down to emergency park release. We went with the donor just in case I didn't have the new communications. So my 13 is now a 15. Labor cost is high.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
how much are you budgeting for tickets? :banana-mario::biggun:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado