Cam Swap Heads Removal with out removing shorty Headers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrBill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a set of JBA ceramic coated stainless header on my 2018 Ram 1500 5.7 . Installing the stage 8 bolts with their locks is something I can only describe as horrible. I installed all the locks did not want to skip any. I never want to have to do that again. Maybe because ill be 78 when I get around to this.
Ive been considering a cam and lifter swap.
Here is my question: Is it doable to pull the heads with the shorty header still bolted up after disconnecting them from the cats and reinstalling when the swap is over. only really interested in hearing from folks that have done Cam and lifter changes themselves.
Thank you in advance

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it’s doable. I removed the heads with stock cast logs attached and reinstalled with afe shorties installed from the bench.

Did it for this exact reason (f those bolts) and the afe headers made a nice grab handle while installing. Just remember to wipe them off with alcohol after to avoid the oils from your hands burning into the finish.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I installed a set of JBA ceramic coated stainless header on my 2018 Ram 1500 5.7 . Installing the stage 8 bolts with their locks is something I can only describe as horrible. I installed all the locks did not want to skip any. I never want to have to do that again. Maybe because ill be 78 when I get around to this.
Ive been considering a cam and lifter swap.
Here is my question: Is it doable to pull the heads with the shorty header still bolted up after disconnecting them from the cats and reinstalling when the swap is over. only really interested in hearing from folks that have done Cam and lifter changes themselves.
Thank you in advance
Just an FYI when you have the heads off and you can get at the locking tabs,you might want to remove them.They're famous for loosening off and causing a rattle that your knock sensors can pick up,causing the knock sensors to pull timing on you. Keep them if you want,but very few tuners reconmend using the Stage 8 locking tabs

OP
OP
M

mrBill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the heads up .
Now I have a lot of homework on the right cam for me .
Thanks again