Can I add 4x4 auto to my Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn’t worry about your transfer case doing that a few times every week Clint, hold Traction Control button down until ESC is disabled in 4HI and let her dig while keeping an eye on the trans temp.

4HI in the 44-44 just sends the slip signal sooner to minimize heat, it will jolt you versus the Auto setting easing into the front driveshaft.

That’s another misunderstanding with this case, if you know you’re on a constant low friction surface just go right to 4HI.(freezing dry pavement)

What are you saying that causes excessive heat? Traction control on or off? 4lock vs auto?

I'm now tracking the advantages of the 44/44 on hard surfaces probably good from an AWD/crossover. It's loose stuff like snow, mud, sand where back digs in before the front engages. I dunno how much faster the front engages with traction control off.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In idaho or Montana we CALL AUTO the death position.

REAL drivers here drive in 2wd all winter, truck slides, spins. we all slow down and click in 4 high.

roads here are bone dry clear with speeds 60, 70 and 80 MPH roads.

The auto clicks in and out, then u have no clue its slick out. In 2wd it tells U real quick.

Before U flame me, been driving roads a long, long time and never missed a day of work in 30+ years due to slick roads.

Yes my wife drive all winter in 2wd and only clicks in in to get moving...........
I got a few years driving on you and have lived in Montana my entire life and been driving since the early 70's legally since 1973. I think the death button is cruise control in the winter time. people cruising along at 70 on the interstate and hit those bridge decks that are icy and the fun begins. It does amaze me seeing people think they have to drive the posted speed limit when it is glare ice lol.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Where we lived it was 80 mph, wide open land. Wind would blow the powder snow and dust it the road just enough to make it Icey in spots.

Nothing stops on ice, sorry.

rather have the rear kick out for the tell and SLOW down.

THANKFULL The Rebel is OPEN diff and SPOOL when I want it to be..........

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What are you saying that causes excessive heat? Traction control on or off? 4lock vs auto?

I'm now tracking the advantages of the 44/44 on hard surfaces probably good from an AWD/crossover. It's loose stuff like snow, mud, sand where back digs in before the front engages. I dunno how much faster the front engages with traction control off.

There’s a switch available for our case that sends a constant signal and engages the front(Brandon?), but default TC/ESC in 4auto will generate the most heat. Apply too much throttle in slick surface and the PCM will try to apply brakes and wreak havoc on the case/trans if you stay on the throttle.

Last edited:

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm in touch with Brandon, seem like a good work around solution. This is good thread, good info. Just seems Ram could have better utilized the BW 44 with better programming in the 4lock or 4 low positions. Yeah the 4 auto is probably a great feature. Seems the BW44's biggest problem is being misunderstood or held back by programming.

I also run Amsoil ATF in the T-Case.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Honestly I don't understand why pickups aren't full time all wheel drive given the light rear ends when unloaded?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
DT transfer cases From Allpar:

Four-wheel drive buyers can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel. Both have been internally upgraded with a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication; the on-demand system was upgraded for quicker responses and higher front output torque capacity.

Maybe someone with a Gen 5 has had the 44-44 and now the 48-11 to compare.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I don't understand why pickups aren't full time all wheel drive given the light rear ends when unloaded?

I live in the snow, and I want nothing to do with AWD on a truck, and I don’t use auto 4wd. My ram doesn’t have it, but I never used in on my Z71 Sierra. I prefer the predictable over steer of Rwd, or the predictable understeer of 4x4. Just my preference.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I guess what I want is the truck to always be in 4 wheel drive but with no binding or excessive wear on drivetrain parts. My previous vehicle was an Accura TL SHAWD which was a rocket with all wheel drive and I miss not needing to think about what drive mode I need to be in. Just point it and hit the gas! Lol

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid

78 Blazer was FULL time, folks complained of poor MPG and converted them to part time !!

My snow flake tires and SLOW down...............

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Just looked our 5 th gen has no auto setting. Button is there, just blank........

Just 4 high, 4 low and 2wd with E locker..........................

Our 13 Larmie Longhorn lhad it and no posi or e locker

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then there's guys like me,who grew up with everything being RWD,and no cell phones,so if you got stuck you were walking,only option was don't get stuck,lol
I grew up same way, snow over 100 inches a year, RWD. Was always interesting, put few hundred pounds of salt in the back for traction and to spread when stuck. Untill I got my first FWD, it was a Geo Storm. Small little car with a hairdryer for a motor and 4 speed auto. 60 mph was hard in it, but it torque like crazy. 4 snow tires and I drove it up the mountains like a snowmobile. Snow used to fly over the hood because it was so low but never got stuck even in 8+ inches at once. Most fun car I ever had in the winter. For OP, put a few hundred pounds of sand in the back, no more spin.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I grew up same way, snow over 100 inches a year, RWD. Was always interesting, put few hundred pounds of salt in the back for traction and to spread when stuck. Untill I got my first FWD, it was a Geo Storm. Small little car with a hairdryer for a motor and 4 speed auto. 60 mph was hard in it, but it torque like crazy. 4 snow tires and I drove it up the mountains like a snowmobile. Snow used to fly over the hood because it was so low but never got stuck even in 8+ inches at once. Most fun car I ever had in the winter. For OP, put a few hundred pounds of sand in the back, no more spin.

First little fwd thing i bought was a little Mazda back in the early 90's,that thing was fun in the winter,e-brake slides and full throttle,made every corner an adventure in the winter,lol

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

:lol: I had a 94 2dr metro, 999cc 3cyl with a 5spd stick. 12” wheels, and new snow tires cost me $19.95 ea.
Waaaaaaay too much fun in the winter. Glad someone else got to enjoy the same fun!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Add 3 to 4 hundred lbs in the bed. Will help toget going

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Add 3 to 4 hundred lbs in the bed. Will help toget going
I’d rather not have all that extra weight in my truck for the few times I need the front wheel traction to help me pull into traffic my friend. I guess coming from the AWD car I drove before getting the Ram, I miss not needing to deal with wheel spin. As I mentioned, when there’s snow, I’ll put the truck into 4 wheel lock and keep it there. It’s for the few times I go to turn left from my building into the busy main road that I can’t afford to have unexpected rear wheel spin. I’m afraid of getting t boned. But I also can’t keep the truck in 4 wheel drive for fear of burning up clutches when turning on dry roads. Traffic is too busy for me to be looking down at my switches to go from 4 wheel back to 2 wheel drive hence my desire for that to be an automatic process. Only 4 wheel drive when needed without me having to touch anything.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trade it in !

merl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a different t-case and computer programing, a new switch and a whole new set of
Hey gang. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express 6 speed truck. I am interested in possibly adding a 4x4 auto mode which my truck doesn't have. I have 2 wheel, 4x4 lock and 4x4 low. I hate spinning my rear tires when it's wet or even just very cold and frosty out. I've almost gotten sideswiped when pulling out onto a busy road when my tires spun and I didn't accelerate as expected. Is this possible and what might it entail? Would this be expensive? Thanks for any feedback!
Hey gang. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express 6 speed truck. I am interested in possibly adding a 4x4 auto mode which my truck doesn't have. I have 2 wheel, 4x4 lock and 4x4 low. I hate spinning my rear tires when it's wet or even just very cold and frosty out. I've almost gotten sideswiped when pulling out onto a busy road when my tires spun and I didn't accelerate as expected. Is this possible and what might it entail? Would this be expensive? Thanks for any feedback!
Get limited slip works good dont need 4x4 as much

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca