Can I add 4x4 auto to my Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Hey gang. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express 6 speed truck. I am interested in possibly adding a 4x4 auto mode which my truck doesn't have. I have 2 wheel, 4x4 lock and 4x4 low. I hate spinning my rear tires when it's wet or even just very cold and frosty out. I've almost gotten sideswiped when pulling out onto a busy road when my tires spun and I didn't accelerate as expected. Is this possible and what might it entail? Would this be expensive? Thanks for any feedback!

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
In idaho or Montana we CALL AUTO the death position.

REAL drivers here drive in 2wd all winter, truck slides, spins. we all slow down and click in 4 high.

roads here are bone dry clear with speeds 60, 70 and 80 MPH roads.

The auto clicks in and out, then u have no clue its slick out. In 2wd it tells U real quick.

Before U flame me, been driving roads a long, long time and never missed a day of work in 30+ years due to slick roads.

Yes my wife drive all winter in 2wd and only clicks in in to get moving...........

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I don't think you are missing out on the auto. I'd rather have your T-case.

I still don't quite understand how the auto works and what it does, because it really isn't a true 4x4 when you need it. You got to have the rear wheel spin before the front engages and sometime you already dug yourself in a hole and it also kicks out too soon.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Yeah, I don't think you are missing out on the auto. I'd rather have your T-case.

I still don't quite understand how the auto works and what it does, because it really isn't a true 4x4 when you need it. You got to have the rear wheel spin before the front engages and sometime you already dug yourself in a hole and it also kicks out too soon.
It's mostly when I'm quickly accelerating that I wish I had the auto mode to avoid wheel spin and for my own safety. When winter is here with snow on the roads, I drive in 4x4 lock. It's for the in-between times that I want the added benefit of 4 wheel drive auto.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
What's the negative reason to not have the option to use 4x4 auto? Is there a downside to it that I'm unaware of?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What's the negative reason to not have the option to use 4x4 auto? Is there a downside to it that I'm unaware of?

Newbs don’t know how to fully disable traction control when they’re screwing around and burn up clutches. It takes a few milliseconds for the rear tires to slip and the front engages.

Just like a transmission, abuse heat and lack of maintenance will destroy friction plates.

99.9 percent of users don’t need a locking transfer case with knowledge and a set of proper tires/rear LSD.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Newbs don’t know how to fully disable traction control when they’re screwing around and burn up clutches. It takes a few milliseconds for the rear tires to slip and the front engages.

Just like a transmission, abuse heat and lack of maintenance will destroy friction plates.

99.9 percent of users don’t need a locking transfer case with knowledge and a set of proper tires/rear LSD.

Yeah I've had some close calls in the sand and snow with the front not engaging. That is with AT tires and LSD. Now at that time, I didn't think to disable traction control. Nevertheless, I don't have the off road confidence that I did in my last vehicle so I am considering Brandon's transfer case harness to better activate the front to get 3x4 not sometimes 2.5x4.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I was fishing a bit but if you’re mudding/showboating in the dirt often or crawling rocks in your luxury half ton, then the 44-45 in the express/rebel/outdoorsman is the mechanical case for you. Just be prepared to have to push buttons in between dry/wet terrain where 4Auto can do it all during winter in Northern Climates.

Edit-guys who snowplow in their 1500(which the manual advises against), 44-44 is not a good choice unless you enjoy changing fluid often.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey gang. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Express 6 speed truck. I am interested in possibly adding a 4x4 auto mode which my truck doesn't have. I have 2 wheel, 4x4 lock and 4x4 low. I hate spinning my rear tires when it's wet or even just very cold and frosty out. I've almost gotten sideswiped when pulling out onto a busy road when my tires spun and I didn't accelerate as expected. Is this possible and what might it entail? Would this be expensive? Thanks for any feedback!
You already have the better Tcase. There is a reason so many people switch to the non auto T case. The auto Tcase never actually locks into 4x4 when you select 4x4 lock in any mode until it detects wheel slippage. I'm many cases it doesn't respond quick enough and in other cases it doesn't engage at all. There are some that work better than others. There are several videos on YouTube showing trucks with the auto Tcase in 4x4 lock with the back tires spinning and the front tires either moving intermittently or not at all. Sometimes things that seem like they might be a good idea are actually not. In my opinion plus many others switching from the 44-45 non auto Tcase to the 44-44 auto in one of those times.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The showboating is for access to backcountry skiing. The Lux half-ton has to get me up in the snow and not look like all the stupid trucks with lift kits and peg-leg traction waiting to get pulled out by German SUVs.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Wouldn’t worry about your transfer case doing that a few times every week Clint, hold Traction Control button down until ESC is disabled in 4HI and let her dig while keeping an eye on the trans temp.

4HI in the 44-44 just sends the slip signal sooner to minimize heat, it will jolt you versus the Auto setting easing into the front driveshaft.

That’s another misunderstanding with this case, if you know you’re on a constant low friction surface just go right to 4HI.(freezing dry pavement)

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
So, Tim. You're running the Amsoil in your 44-44 ?

Mine's a 2016, and it's supposed to use a different fluid, but the Amsoil site just says 44-44, doesn't specify year. Would you use it in a 2016?

8m8N0UH.jpg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yes the red signature series ATF, word on the street is they changed clutch material and call for a special potion fluid after 2016. If you email Amsoil, they’ll let you know if any testing was done on the newer 44-44 Borg Warner.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, Tim. You're running the Amsoil in your 44-44 ?

Mine's a 2016, and it's supposed to use a different fluid, but the Amsoil site just says 44-44, doesn't specify year. Would you use it in a 2016?

8m8N0UH.jpg

I changed my TC oil to Redline C+ atf which is what they call for in the 2016, have not had to use 4wd so far this year but took it up in the snow last year and it seemed to work fine and the Redline is less than half the price of the Mopar stuff. I think amsoil on their site recommends their signature atf tor the 2016 44-44.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's mostly when I'm quickly accelerating that I wish I had the auto mode to avoid wheel spin and for my own safety. When winter is here with snow on the roads, I drive in 4x4 lock. It's for the in-between times that I want the added benefit of 4 wheel drive auto.
when you are at an intersection or stop sigh or entering a road way etc that is slippery just put it in 4h to get going.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963