Can I get a check? Firestone X/T 35x12.5R20 + 2.5" Level Kit on '17 Ram Sport...or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Quick confirmation needed that I've got what I need to achieve my desired result:

DESIRED RESULT: 35" white-letter aggressive tires stuffed in wheel well with no rubbing of upper control arm or other long-term damage to stock components
VEHICLE: 2017 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew Cab
STOCK TIRES: Goodyear Wrangler S-RA 275x60R20
NEW TIRES: Firestone Destination X/T 35x12.5R20

I'm not handy and I rarely go off-road...truck is my daily driver...so I've tried to do my research to determine what I need to make sure the front tires fit. Not interested in a lift kit until my kids are tall enough to get in easy. I know I need to level it and I was given 2 recommendations:

A. 2.5" Front Level Kit
B. 3" Front Level/2" Rear Level Kit

Again, not a mechanic by any means, but, if I want minimal wheel well gap, I want the 2.5" Front Level Kit, correct? I'll miss my rake as I think it fit the Sport, and I DEFINITELY don't want the front end higher than the back. Let me know if the 2.5" Front Level Kit is the way to go or whether I need to get the back end up, too.

Also, do I need spacers to avoid rubbing, or just if I want a wider stance?

THANK YOU in advance. Photo of truck recently below.

Ram 1.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do the full Eibach kit with struts and springs front,shocks and springs rear, Zone or RL UCAs. If you want to keep the wheels you have you can run 295/60/20 and it shouldn't rub. If you want to go a little bigger with 35x12.5x20 you should be able to fit them with 1.5" wheel spacers from BORA for example. Our preferred vendor Nick should be able to hook you up with some nice prices on everything.

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Thank you; I already have the Destination X/Ts 35x12.5x20 on the way. Was hoping to just be able to do a leveling kit and, if needed, spacers.

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
I guess it would help if I understood offset and had confirmed ahead of time whether these Firestone Destination X/Ts are going to fit on my stock rims...can anyone give me a yay or nay on that question, while I'm in the process of screwing this all up?

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I cleared 35x12.50x20 Mastercraft MTs with a level kit and 0.25' spacers on the front with no issues. Tires were very close to factory UCAs but cleared.

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Called my local 4 Wheel Parts shop today...they wanted to charge me $1,135 for a Pro Comp Leveling Kit with new UCAs. American Trucks reps told me just a 2.5" leveling kit on the front OR a 3" front & 2" rear. Local install shop told me just a 2-2.5" front leveling kit. Chrysler dealership parts department/installer just told me I'll be fine with just a 2" level kit!

With these tires, will I need to replace the UCAs?

Am I better off just going with Bilsteins or will I still need to replace UCAs?

Last edited:

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From all I have read here this is what I've come up with.

Get bils set at 2.8 and run 35s as long as you're just rolling on the streets. If you offroad at all replace uca with zones.

I myself am looking at the eibach pro lift kit 2.75 front 1 in rear and zone ucas. I only roll on the street but I'd feel safer with the zones...

As for wheels and spacers I haven't made it that far yet lol.

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Thanks Perferd. The most common response I got is that 2" leveling kit will do the job fine. I think I'm going to just roll with that.

If I was going to go with Bilsteins, is this the kit I'd buy?

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Search here and you will find ALL the info you could ever want.

Most threads I have read say the bilstein 5100s. Those you linked are the 6112s, I don't know the diff or why someone would choose one over the other.

Try this vid maybe...

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Thanks - I've searched for what seems like forever and it's overwhelming and sometimes contradictory. Appreciate you responding, thanks again.

Perferd

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well most posts are just opinions or what the individual poster knows based on their application. I don't necessarily think there is a right or a wrong just what works for you based on your situation.

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it would help if I understood offset and had confirmed ahead of time whether these Firestone Destination X/Ts are going to fit on my stock rims...can anyone give me a yay or nay on that question, while I'm in the process of screwing this all up?
With the current rims you have, If you leave the stock UCA you will not rub. Now its going to be TIGHT. Picture with stock rims and 35x12.50 tires

IMG_6321.jpg

As for your suspension set up: I would recommend a strut lift. Like mentioned earlier the eibach kit is really good and comes with everything you would need. The bilstein 5100 or 6112 kits are also great. I'm running 5100's set at 2.8 on my ram now. I love it. it rides wonderfully on the street and preforms well off-road. As for the rear a .75 or 1.5" spacer would work fine. You wouldn't need to upgrade rear shocks per say, but if you're already gonna be under working on the springs why not go ahead and get it done. Bils, or eibach both have great rear shocks. UCA's is not needed per say, but over 2" of lift I would recommend it.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ran a 2.5" Rough Country spacer style level kit. 0.25" spacers on the front wheels, factory UCAs. Zero clearance issues. uca2.jpguca.jpg

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Thank you both. I ended up with an Amazon random brand 2" leveling kit and per the installer and the dealership's installer, both said I'd be fine with that, so for now, that's what I decided to go with...and so far, so good.

Fits great, no rubbing, JUST clears UCAs. I'm all highway so I'm going to run these for now and see what happens. Did not use wheel spacers, tires stick out just a tad.

Absolutely love the look; will post pics shortly, it's been raining so I haven't been able to get anything great.

Panamaximus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the DESTINATION M/T2 BL LT35/12.5R20 today. I had already installed the Eibach pro kit and I had to install a 1/2 strut spacer on front drivers side. No spacers, no new UCA's. No rubbing, happy!

OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Nice! Let's see a pic!

Been over a month with my X/Ts on and no complaints or issues.

Panamaximus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get one as soon as I get off tug boat! My next goal is upper control arms. Control links, etc. Hit a washout pretty hard down at Big Shell on Padre Island, had to get an alignment...

Last edited:

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you both. I ended up with an Amazon random brand 2" leveling kit and per the installer and the dealership's installer, both said I'd be fine with that, so for now, that's what I decided to go with...and so far, so good.

Fits great, no rubbing, JUST clears UCAs. I'm all highway so I'm going to run these for now and see what happens. Did not use wheel spacers, tires stick out just a tad.

Absolutely love the look; will post pics shortly, it's been raining so I haven't been able to get anything great.
Your truck looks good. I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm going back and forth from a Pro Comp 3"Frt/1" RR set up or an Amazon kit. That leads me to the question which kit off Amazon did you use. You can PM me if desire.