Can I leave the truck running and take the key into the store?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Another option assuming you have it is to just use your remote start. Will lock the doors, won't ding and will set your HVAC system. I "think" it's limited to 15 minutes, never timed it tho.

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just got my 2017 ram 1500 sport night edition. It has remote start built in and push button start but thats not exactly what Im going to be asking about. Im wondering if the truck computers will "allow" me to leave the truck running when I get someplace and bring the key with me and lock the truck. Asking so that when I bring my dog with me I would be able to leave him in the truck with the truck running and AC going but lock the doors. In my 07 4Runner the doors would not lock if the key fob was outside the car but the key was in the ignition?

Yes it will. I do it all the time when I run into the gas station to get something to drink, etc...

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't take this the wrong way.....but how about simply parking the truck in a lot, leave it running, and get out with the key fob in your hand and see what happens when you try to lock the doors and walk away? After locking the doors with the fob (or at least pushing the lock button) set the key fob down away from the truck and walk back over to it and see if the doors are locked. If the fob won't lock the doors try hitting the manual lock and close the doors. Again, not trying to bash the OP by any means but I don't understand why people can't take 5 minutes to see what happens in real life but will go spend hours on the internet asking random people a question like this. My '16 doesn't have push button start but we have two other brands of vehicles in the household with that option so might just try this out tonight to see what happens.
Just using the remote start option is the simple solution with the only downside it will only last 15 minutes unless you re-start it. Though I wonder if you could change the timer in AlphaOBD to run longer (and not, I don't have AlphaOBD or I would go in an try it).
This board has a wealth of knowledge yes maybe he could have done it himself but I don’t think it’s an issue.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've done it numerous times. I've gone in at the rest area and when I get back my wife isn't happy about the bell dinging it does the whole time I'm gone but your dogs probably won't tell you this. LOL
Might in a way if he/she starts chewing and scratching around the source of the noise to try and shut it up.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can run your truck on two remote start cycles of 15 minutes each, no beeping or other annoyances and the doors are locked. If someone breaks in, they can't go anywhere. If you are leaving your wife or kids for more than 15 minutes or don't want to use remote start, leave them the FOB, no dinging and they can lock the doors. If you are leaving your dog longer than 30 minutes, maybe you should have left the dog at home.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just get out with it running. As I’m walking away with the door shut and truck running I push the lock button on the fob and it locks. Problem solved

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Unless it's raining heavy I leave my window down several inches with the truck running on hot days so she has the ac, on cooler days I just leave a window or 2 down a considerable way. My dog sulks if I leave her at home (i can watch her on cameras) she is more happy to go for several hours. Heck it's a half hour to just go to town and back.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have remote start in your truck, push the remote start button and the truck will remain running for up to time set on remote start system (usually 15 minutes). I do this all the time, and technically its the only LEGAL way to leave a vehicle running and un-attended.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
If you have remote start in your truck, push the remote start button and the truck will remain running for up to time set on remote start system (usually 15 minutes). I do this all the time, and technically its the only LEGAL way to leave a vehicle running and un-attended.
I quit caring what’s ok with the controllers, my hybrid car, can’t even tell I left it running except for the dogs hair blowing in the air conditioning. (No, I am not a green freak, I bought the car on a whim as I was curious. I will not be doing that again as the cars are impossible to sell used and are not worth much. Mine happens to have lifetime battery warranty........it’s all the other stuff that worries me)! I treat my animals better than any human. Not sure what that says about me, but no matter.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would never leave my dog's in my truck, running or not. There are way to many Karens out there that will break the window to rescue the dog from a locked auto, after they call the cops.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I leave my windows down quite abit in warm weather with or without the truck running,
some bim-bo breaks my window she had better hope the cops are there first or she or he will
be trying to get my size 16 boot back out to the sunshine.

had to break it into two parts for the censors

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have left my dog in the truck in the heat and the cold, but ALWAYS WITH ENGINE RUNNING to control the environment, and also for just enough to run in and out. I have seen idiots leave dogs in car in the heat with windows cracked and the dogs panting inside due to heat. Its a gray area as to breaking in to rescue dog in most states as I understand it.

PS I have remote start so I can restart if needed, the doors are locked, and he is just as safe as if I was sitting in it with him.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have noticed on my 14 sport with auto door locks and remote starter, if you get out and hit the door locks inside, and walk away, the horn will beep at you , if the truck can't read the fob, the doors will not be locked.
Also , I was up town , left the key ring with the truck key at home, well the stupid truck would not read the fob or via visa, so I could not open the doors.
Phoned the wife , got her out of bed to bring her fob, which opened the door.
If you jam the fob up against the start button , it will start the truck.
I installed new battery's in the fob when it stopped, did not make a difference, so I think the truck was not reading the fob. Had that happen a couple times, so keep the door key in the fob. always started to work after wards.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
BTW , last dog we had on the farm, you could leave the door unlocked, no way any stranger could get in the truck , if I was not in it, She hated to give up her seat if the wife was coming as well. As soon as I was out , she was behind the wheel.

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did anyone know the answer to the earlier question on wether the Alpha OBD2 could extend the remote start timer?

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone for all the help and input!
I have been able to do this and leave the truck running cold ac and the dog locked in and it works wonderfully!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank