Can I leave the truck running and take the key into the store?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Just got my 2017 ram 1500 sport night edition. It has remote start built in and push button start but thats not exactly what Im going to be asking about. Im wondering if the truck computers will "allow" me to leave the truck running when I get someplace and bring the key with me and lock the truck. Asking so that when I bring my dog with me I would be able to leave him in the truck with the truck running and AC going but lock the doors. In my 07 4Runner the doors would not lock if the key fob was outside the car but the key was in the ignition?
I used to with my 2017 had to use a key to lock the drivers door , and also always put the dog in the back seat so he dose not unlock the doors by stepping on the button

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Today it is -27, so I played with the locks a bit, no problem have the truck running and lock the doors with the fob, or the button on the out side door handle.
BTW how would you keep a dog in the back seat, chain , I guess?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Mine just stays there, no problem

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I used to with my 2017 had to use a key to lock the drivers door , and also always put the dog in the back seat so he dose not unlock the doors by stepping on the button
That’s funny cause I had to start carrying my spare key cause the dogs were always locking me out with the truck running.