Can I use the integrated brake module while flat towing my Jeep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smitty702

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm looking to flat tow my Jeep TJ as a hunting buggy behind my 2019 2500 Cummins and am reading everywhere that a supplemental braking system is required in my state as the Jeep is barely over the legal weight. I know it would probably be fine without it but anyway.... I've just barely started researching but I'm wondering if there is a setup that would allow me to utilize the trailer brake module on the truck. Anyone have any experience with that?

zrock

Reaction score
Most of the ones i have ever used uses a factory/aftermarket controller same as any trailer would use. More than likely you are going to have to wire into your jeep signal lights and such as well. I don't like flat towing as their is no weight on the hitch so things can get a little squirrely at times with the tow veh. Was flat towing a chev Colorado early style We did not set the brake controller properly and hit some ruts in the road that were wider than the Colorado so it started whipping rut to rut and just about swung the tow veh around.. After that i will never flat tow again ill rent or buy a trailer...

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m another anti flat tow enthusiast, it will tend to push the rear of your tow vehicle straight when you are cornering. Probably not as big an issue with a 2500 as opposed to a cross town trek pulling my CJ with an XJ.
Reversing is also a challenge but if your TJ is drivable it’s unhook when needed.
That being said ,there are a few systems out there that will tie into your Jeeps hydraulics to make it legal.