2006 RAM 1500 CRUISE CONTROL, ABS LIGHT, BRAKE LIGHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

czimmel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, this is related to a previous post for a problem I thought I had fixed. On my truck, the ABS light and brake light have always been on. I have always assumed this has something to do with the fact that the parking brake has been disconnected. Since I have owned the truck, the ABS has never worked. Last winter the two lights began to come on and off very frequently, I'm talking constantly while I am driving, as well as the alarm sounding every time they come on. Also, when this all started, the cruise control quit working. Sometimes the green light will come on indicating the cruise system is on, other times it will not. Regardless, I cannot set the cruise. To add another variable, all of this only takes place when the outside air temp is about 40 degrees or colder. I live in Northern Minnesota, so this is an issue. I drove this thing all summer and never had the issue. Last year I replaced the front wheel speed sensor as well as the sensor located in the rear differential. I thought this fixed my issue but apparently it did not. The research I have done has said to replace those sensors. I have also read that it may be the ABS module which is causing the problems. I have checked the brake switch but can't see where that would be the cause. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on the ABS module or any other advice on where to look? The module is discontinued so it's a matter of tracking down a used or remanufactured one. They are out there but they're not real cheap so I'm trying to avoid throwing parts at it.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My cummins is currently in the shop for this issue. The code said the ABS module. You need a good scanner like the OBDLink and AlfaOBD (its an app on your Android phone, not sure about Apple). This will give you the exact code.

For my truck the ABS modules are hard to come by, but you should be able to find a used one for a 2006. Is the 2008 the same design, because I know those exist.

OP
OP
C

czimmel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. Another issue I forgot to mention until now, the speedometer bounces sometimes. When it does this the truck loses a bit of power when the speedo goes out. When it kicks back in the truck will surge like I'm pushing the accelerator.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replace all wheel speed sensors. Its cheap enough and easy to do and eliminate those as a problem.

cindyg493

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I am having the same issue with my 2015 Ram, except for the speedometer. Where I get my trucks oil changed they told me it might cost upwards of $1500. to fix. They canceled my idiot lights at that time. Now it comes on intermttently and under 40 degree weather. I couldn't believe when I read the weather on this post! I just noticed the weather had anything to do with it.