Cargo bed divider; using the extended bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IowaDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**EDIT**
After looking at my window sticker, it says I have the Rambox Cargo Management System with a sticker cost of 995

I do have the rails and sliding hooks and spray in bedliner. Seems odd that I didn't receive that one piece.

Last edited:

AirAntix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, my Limited came with it...I’d be hitting up the dealer. Although I have seen other threads where people are saying dealers are telling them they are not included.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Just looked at the Ram website on the build your own tool. The Bed Utility Group shows the divider, but says it is unavailable with some configurations. I don't see any clarification of what those configurations are.

BUG alone shows no divider

BUG + RAMBOX shows a divider

JohnB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Hello guys,

I am in the same position - I just bought a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with a RamBox and a Bed Utility Group package. But, the divider was not included. I am going to buy one from Ram but I noticed that these divider gates have a key lock in the middle of the swivel handle. If I buy one separately, does it come with a separate key? Do I need to buy a separate lock and then take the whole handle apart and try to reassemble with the new lock. What are your thoughts? I sure a heck don't want to pay the dealer to "rekey" the lock - I am sure they would charge me for an arm and a leg for that. Thanks for your help.

John B

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Hello guys,

I am in the same position - I just bought a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with a RamBox and a Bed Utility Group package. But, the divider was not included. I am going to buy one from Ram but I noticed that these divider gates have a key lock in the middle of the swivel handle. If I buy one separately, does it come with a separate key? Do I need to buy a separate lock and then take the whole handle apart and try to reassemble with the new lock. What are your thoughts? I sure a heck don't want to pay the dealer to "rekey" the lock - I am sure they would charge me for an arm and a leg for that. Thanks for your help.

John B

I would start the process by pulling the detail off the Ram website that shows it should be included with the package you have, assuming it hasn't already been replaced by the 2020 build options and try to get the dealer to provide it. If that doesn't work, and it probably won't based on my experience with the pegs, I'd use the option loss to try and get the dealer to re-key the divider after it comes in. Just my 2 cents.

TimWhatley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
so I just bought a 2020 Laramie with Rambox as well and thought the same. Where are the dividers for the Rambox and the bed extender/divider. Well it turns out the extender only comes if you have a bed utility package. if you only have the RamBox you are SOL. They should change the name to Rambox and not Rambox cargo management system because ultimately there is no system to manage! totally bummed and of course my salesman didn't know much about anything. Oh well...

Joe102030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did the parts install? Did you just pop out the plastic pieces and just screw in the parts?
Yep, took me all of a few minutes to do. Took longer order parts on line. Lol.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

BugGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Pauliep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So, just to confirm what everyone else is saying, I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel with the Ramboxes. The divider/extender came as part of the Bed Utility Group package, but alas, the pegs to mount them were not located in the bed of the truck. I went back to the dealer to ask why and to have them put them in, but their response was "it didn't come from the factory so you don't get them." They wanted to charge me $300 to get them and install them, but if you look on the Internet, you can find them on Ebay for MOPAR sites for about $100 delivered. Needless to say, I am not happy and won't do business with the dealer again. The dealer is in Phoenix and rhymes with Pill Duke.

If anyone is reading this before buying a Ram with the Ramboxes, make sure to have the dealership take care of this for you as part of the deal.

LANdrew4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque
FCA can't technically sell them for a 2019 or 2020 as it was discovered that when used as a bed extender it puts visibility of the taillights out of compliance with the regulations. Of course If you have your tailgate down and something hanging out the back you probably are also obscuring your taillights from some angle anyway and it is certainly safer to use an extension to keep everything from sliding out further. So this is a "wink wink nudge nudge" deal. FCA kept the threaded mounting holes - they just put plastic plugs in them, and the bed "divider" still has the holes for mounting as an extension. You get the parts on eBay (about $82 with free shipping) and install them yourself in 5 minutes (remove the four plugs and screw them in). FCA has not "officially" broken any regulations and you have a bed extender you can use at your own risk (though if I ever hear of a policeman actually stopping someone because their taillight was obscured at a particular angle I would be flabbergasted). Works for everyone - at least until we can stop the extreme overregulation which is the real issue.

Mike83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried this with a 2021 ram 1500 with multifunction tailgate

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I believe they quit offering the parts to make it an extender because the tailgate on the 5th gen is made of aluminum. It’s probably not as strong as the 4th gen tailgates and Ram doesn’t want a lot of weight carried by the tailgate. This is just my opinion. Not bashing the 5th gen trucks at all. I just bought a new Longhorn with Ramboxes and I love my truck. I came from a 4th gen Laramie and am still in awe of the improvements they have made

Just an FYI my 2020 Gen5 tailgate is rated at 2000lbs

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Has anyone tried this with a 2021 ram 1500 with multifunction tailgate
Yes, well not a 2021, but a 2020 Limited with the MFT. No issues with it at all. It works just as well as it does on my 2020 Laramie with the regular tailgate. It will work for your 2021 as well since they haven't changed anything related to those parts.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is interesting:

The earlier 4th Gen Rams, Mopar never gave the weight that the tailgate could hold, Mopar did not want to be held liable, if the tailgate cables broke.

Back then the Ram's divider was also squared off & because of the tail light issue, they changed the shape to more of an Oval.
Amp Research made the complete part & they just put a Mopar sticker on it.
_ProductCategory_amp_AMPBedXtender400x225_w500_q80.jpg
ductCategory_CategoryTilesBedXtenderSport_w500_q80.jpg
ges_ProductCategory_BedXtenderMoto400x225_w500_q80.jpg

Now they sell you the part, but not the Pins, i bet it is another Liability thing, they are not liable if the customer modifies the vehicle after purchase.

The part is not even listed in the new parts catalog
I do like the Grab Handle, just might order one

https://store.mopar.com/accessories/2021-ram-1500_all_new_/

Last edited:

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The pegs that don't come installed are 68054996AA and 68054997AB. Need two of each. The divider/extender I have is 68027145AE and it came with the truck.
Yeah, yeah, it's an old thread ... but it's the one with the best info on Bed Extender Bolts for the plastic Cargo Mgmt gate for the bed of a RamBox between 19 & 21.

So ....

I inquired through several websites, some affiliated with a Dealership and not over the phone. No one had them. When putting in my VIN number they didn't have that as a part listed as an option or compatible for my truck (a 21 Limited).

Wrote down these two part numbers, walked into a Ram Dealer parts desk, ordered just these two part numbers (2 of each) and they said it would be in the next day. Next day the parts Mgr and I went out to see if they would fit in the holes that had plastic plugs in them .... and they fit perfectly. Functioned exactly as designed with the Cargo System.

Best $127 bucks spent.

Thank you for sharing the part number. Trying to back into the part with a VIN number from 19, 20 & 21 is a fruitless exercise ... but just plugging those parts numbers in without telling Dealer the year or VIN of the truck and they have plenty in stock and they fit perfectly.

Thank you @Beltsand.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, yeah, it's an old thread ... but it's the one with the best info on Bed Extender Bolts for the plastic Cargo Mgmt gate for the bed of a RamBox between 19 & 21.

So ....

I inquired through several websites, some affiliated with a Dealership and not over the phone. No one had them. When putting in my VIN number they didn't have that as a part listed as an option or compatible for my truck (a 21 Limited).

Wrote down these two part numbers, walked into a Ram Dealer parts desk, ordered just these two part numbers (2 of each) and they said it would be in the next day. Next day the parts Mgr and I went out to see if they would fit in the holes that had plastic plugs in them .... and they fit perfectly. Functioned exactly as designed with the Cargo System.

Best $127 bucks spent.

Thank you for sharing the part number. Trying to back into the part with a VIN number from 19, 20 & 21 is a fruitless exercise ... but just plugging those parts numbers in without telling Dealer the year or VIN of the truck and they have plenty in stock and they fit perfectly.

Thank you @Beltsand.
I didn't know the part numbers when I bought my first 5th gen with ramboxes, so I just asked the dealer parts guy to look up those parts for a 2018 rambox 1500. I suspected they were the same, and as it turned out, they were.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have the same issue. Have the divider/extender, just don't have the mount pegs. I saw on this forum in another thread that the Gen IV parts should work. I even found an early 2019 brochure that showed this feature on the 2019 model. But the current Ram website does not show it. The Mopar site shows the parts are no longer available individually as well. There is a package that includes the divider/extender that includes them that still shows active, but I'm not looking to spend that much. Hoping to find something on an aftermarket site.

The required pegs that are missing are 68054996AA and 68054997AB. Need one of each on each side of the bed.

** Thank you for posting the info. **
Stumbled upon this thread & got the same info from the parts Dept about it not being for the 5th Gen and picked up handle/peg set on Amazon for $25 (Box Handle and Grommet Kit.) vs $110 at dealer.

Works great on my 2022 Rebel with Rambox & Divider/Extender (Bed Utility Grp).

PEI Hank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7