Cargo Cam/LED 3rd on 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone confirm if the OEM third brake light with the cargo cam is compatible with the 2018's? I am not so much concerned about the cargo cam working as I am the third brake light working. Thanks!

For reference:

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
NightReaper

NightReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! Now I just have to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you just wanting an LED 3rd brake light, or do you intend on hooking up the camera?

fufanu180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 18 without the 3rd brake lift camera and just ordered this exact one on eBay. The dealer told me that the camera won’t work but the light would. I was under the impression that wire looms come with all the hookups and accessories are normally just added on at the factory. This would make since due to not needing different schematics for different trim levels. Once it comes in I’ll do some digging and see if I can source the video rca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I have an 18 without the 3rd brake lift camera and just ordered this exact one on eBay. The dealer told me that the camera won’t work but the light would. I was under the impression that wire looms come with all the hookups and accessories are normally just added on at the factory. This would make since due to not needing different schematics for different trim levels. Once it comes in I’ll do some digging and see if I can source the video rca.

The third brake light (with cargo camera) will work as far as the lights go, keep in mind that the lights are LED. When you change your stock brake light to this new one you will get a light out message since your truck does not have LED lighting and the LED's have a different voltage draw. You will need to either wire a resistor in so that the ECM is fooled into seeing the correct voltage or you have to have the dealer flash your truck for "CHMSL LED PRESENT".

As to the Cargo cam, NO there will not be any wire harness there to plug into. Worse is that there is no simple wire harness to add. In order to get an OEM harness for the cargo camera requires you to get a whole new interior headliner. The headliners have the wire harness embedded into it. And if your Ram did not come from the factory with a cargo cam then the wire harness in your headliner will NOT have the needed wires. Yes there are various headliners, each with the particular harness embedded. And they cost in the $700-$900 range.

So to get a cargo camera added after the fact you need to get or make a custom harness. There are several threads here and on other forums about doing this. If that is not enough, even after all of this you STILL need to have your BCM have either the sales code for a cargo camera added to it by a dealer or have it added by using a tool called an AutoEngiunity. You could either rent one or buy one ($1K).

Reactions: JB1

fufanu180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The third brake light (with cargo camera) will work as far as the lights go, keep in mind that the lights are LED. When you change your stock brake light to this new one you will get a light out message since your truck does not have LED lighting and the LED's have a different voltage draw. You will need to either wire a resistor in so that the ECM is fooled into seeing the correct voltage or you have to have the dealer flash your truck for "CHMSL LED PRESENT".

As to the Cargo cam, NO there will not be any wire harness there to plug into. Worse is that there is no simple wire harness to add. In order to get an OEM harness for the cargo camera requires you to get a whole new interior headliner. The headliners have the wire harness embedded into it. And if your Ram did not come from the factory with a cargo cam then the wire harness in your headliner will NOT have the needed wires. Yes there are various headliners, each with the particular harness embedded. And they cost in the $700-$900 range.

So to get a cargo camera added after the fact you need to get or make a custom harness. There are several threads here and on other forums about doing this. If that is not enough, even after all of this you STILL need to have your BCM have either the sales code for a cargo camera added to it by a dealer or have it added by using a tool called an AutoEngiunity. You could either rent one or buy one ($1K).

With that being said I won’t setup the camera then. Not really needing it. I was mainly buying it for the led light for the bed. So the cheapest way to reflash the truck would be to just go to the dealer right? I really appreciate all the info. Now I know just what I’m getting into.

BADHEMI1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 HEMI
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Have this on my 11 1500 sport and love it

fufanu180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So now I guess I’m curious as to what load of resistor I would need an order for the truck to read correctly. Our resistor is one of those things that you can constantly swap in and out until you get a good combination?