2018 Ram 2500 cam wipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn0209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, the cam wiped, and the lifters failed on the driver's side. Metal was shown on the screen for the variable valve solenoid. Dodge says replace the whole engine but, what are the chances i can just replace the Cam and lifters with no further damage?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Drain the oil and go through it with a magnet. Cut open the oil filter. If there a ton of metal glitter in those areas, chances are the inside of the engine looks a Gentleman’s Club after a busy Saturday night. Glitter everywhere.

A rebuild or engine R&R is most likely in order.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
DYI? If DYI go for it, small risk. But if you are paying labor and parts for cam job these days, I would price out all of the options and go off that. Junk yard engine, versus paying cam job, versus reman. Nobody here can tell you a risk, you will make a decision off what you want to hear versus what you need to hear. How many miles on the engine? IMO a 2018 2500 should be worth the investment reman with warranty. Or if you can get the engine out and send it local to get honed and cleaned. no small feet, I have a buddy who does this though I have not talked to him in like a decade.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lifters? As in plural? Something wrong with an oil galley? Looks more like reman is the way forward, why would multiple lifters fail? Weird.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Shawn,

Just out of curiosity:
1. How many miles?
2. Oil change interval?
3. Brand of oil and filter

I am super paranoid of this happening to my 2016 2500 Hemi. Want to learn from others.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Shawn,

Just out of curiosity:
1. How many miles?
2. Oil change interval?
3. Brand of oil and filter

I am super paranoid of this happening to my 2016 2500 Hemi. Want to learn from others.
There is a whole monster thread or two on Hemi tick / cam & lifters. You’ll probably learn more there than a one and done poster.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, the cam wiped, and the lifters failed on the driver's side. Metal was shown on the screen for the variable valve solenoid. Dodge says replace the whole engine but, what are the chances i can just replace the Cam and lifters with no further damage?
You can most likely just do the cam I have done at least 30 cams all of them still running engine will need to ble flushed out a few times the only time I would say dont do a cam is if it sounds like it has a rod knock or its a high mileage engine 200k+