Catch can for 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse me for my ignorance but im new to Hemi engines, but what is a catch can and what is its function? Also where is it located? ftd

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a search here and you will find lots and lots of threads.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
:popcorn:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
About now some Catch Can Denier should be chiming in telling you the Earth is flat.........

No...?

Okay in brief, the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve uses vacuum from your throttle body to remove blow-by gases and combustion by-products, as well as moisture, from your crankcase. The Hemi generates a good amount of these undesirable elements.

The problem is those by-products wind up in your intake manifold and when combined with engine heat they foul your throttle body, your intake manifold and intake valves. Its nasty stuff and a nasty varnish that results. Also, adding this PCV slime (motor oil and other stuff) to your combustion chamber can cause premature detonation. The engine's control module senses knock and pulls (*******) timing which steals power.

A Catch can diverts the stuff from the PCV into a separator/capture can that you can empty instead of it sliming-up your intake.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About now some Catch Can Denier should be chiming in telling you the Earth is flat.........

No...?

Okay in brief, the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve uses vacuum from your throttle body to remove blow-by gases and combustion by-products, as well as moisture, from your crankcase. The Hemi generates a good amount of these undesirable elements.

The problem is those by-products wind up in your intake manifold and when combined with engine heat they foul your throttle body, your intake manifold and intake valves. Its nasty stuff and a nasty varnish that results. Also, adding this PCV slime (motor oil and other stuff) to your combustion chamber can cause premature detonation. The engine's control module senses knock and pulls (*******) timing which steals power.

A Catch can diverts the stuff from the PCV into a separator/capture can that you can empty instead of it sliming-up your intake.

Excellent explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Is it an aftermarket part or an FCA part

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is it an aftermarket part or an FCA part

After market. There are DIYs using air compressor filters, there are eBay specials (el cheapo), Moroso makes a non-mfgr specific one, Billet Technologies makes one with Z-bracket designed for the Hemi, and If not out yet, Mishimoto is developing a catch can that should be out soon.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
After market. There are DIYs using air compressor filters, there are eBay specials (el cheapo), Moroso makes a non-mfgr specific one, Billet Technologies makes one with Z-bracket designed for the Hemi, and If not out yet, Mishimoto is developing a catch can that should be out soon.

I have the 6.4L so which one would be the best option for me? It has 2000 miles and I plan to keep it for the rest of my life

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have plans for a pedal commander and a CAI muffleX

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 6.4L so which one would be the best option for me? It has 2000 miles and I plan to keep it for the rest of my life

Unfortunately the 6.4L hemi PCV system is plumed internally and an OCC isn't an option at this time ...to my knowledge .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dustin Steffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately the 6.4L hemi PCV system is plumed internally and an OCC isn't an option at this time ...to my knowledge .

That sucks I’m sorry

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sucks I’m sorry

No worries , without an oil catch can I'd be running a quality fuel system treatment Like Redline Si1 or Amsoil about every 3k to keep carbon buildup down on the valves and pistons and the combustion chamber in general .

Dustin Steffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No worries , without an oil catch can I'd be running a quality fuel system treatment Like Redline Si1 or Amsoil about every 3k to keep carbon buildup down on the valves and pistons and the combustion chamber in general .

Should I run this instead of a catch can???

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should I run this instead of a catch can???

They work differently. one prevents while the other cleans after its already dirty. Catch can will help to prevent some of the build up and fuel treatment will help clean it. So for the cleanest motor use both, a catch can and fuel treatment.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They work differently. one prevents while the other cleans after its already dirty. Catch can will help to prevent some of the build up and fuel treatment will help clean it. So for the cleanest motor use both, a catch can and fuel treatment.
Agreed [emoji106][emoji106]

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best bet is run a good top tier gas, catch can, and an occasional fuel treatment to clean up what's left over. Not any one of the 3 is 100% , but a combination of all 3 should serve you well. I don't like using a lot of fuel treatment because a small part of it will wind up in you're oil. I use Lucas fuel treatment, which is basically just a top oiler, a couple of times during my OCI. Then just before I change my oil close to the last tank I run before my oil change I'll add a bottle of Lucas deep clean. That way anything makeing its way to oil supply will be out of there shortly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
If you use fuel system cleaner only use ones that have P.E.A, those will clean the best and are best out there for modern vehicles. Redline fuel cleaner I hear has the most P.E.A. I been using Gumout multi system tuneup(has P.E.A) and also works well. I just added a catch can, couldn't believe how much oil I caught in a week, surprised me. I put on a cheap $35 baffled can and works great, but now I see $60 hemi specific catch cans, billet, baffled, with nice braket and drain lever. Might have to get one and use one I have in another vehicle.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Amsoil has the most PEA in it and what I am going to switch over to, Plan on using it atlesst every OCI on all my vehicles..

Stole this from Rampant.

By percent of active ingredient:

1. Amsoil PI- 25-50% PEA

2. Redline S1- 25-35% PEA

3. Lucas DEEP Clean- 10-30% PEA
-- *Note Lucas' UCL/FI cleaner does not list PEA as an ingredient.

4. Gumout Regane Complete- 10-30% PEA

5. Royal Purple Max Clean- 5-15% PEA

6. Chevron Techron- Lists "Trade Secret" 3-7% *PEA Not listed by name

7. BG 44k- Lists "Stoddard Solvent" as active ingredient 10-30% *PEA Not listed by name

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In addition to regular fuel / fi cleaner additions, I like to treat the intake with Seafoam every spring. That way anything that has snuck past my catch can is dissolved from the intake. After freaking out the neighbors and wife with the grey exhaust for 5 minutes after treatment (that's kinda fun too) the Hemi runs like a champ.