Ceramic Coating lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The spots you might be able to see in the up close pic of the hood is not dust. That is the metal flake in the paint
That's one gorgeous looking rig right there Todd! Wish had detailers that talented around my parts!
Lee

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats brotha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
How much was it? I live near Valdosta,ga and wash my truck once a week. I use a pressure washer for initial rinse since I live off a dirt road, and then either mothers or meguires car wash soap. I’ll be getting griots for my bday with their foaming soap sprayer soon. I have a soft bristle brush on a telescopic pole, and rain-x spray and wipe wax.

The griots package I’m getting is their 1 gallon refill pack. Has window cleaner, tire cleaner, car was soap and speed shine.

Any thoughts would help and be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my Malbec Black 2011 G37 Opti Coated back in 2014 IIRC. Since an actual detailer handled it, they were able to use Opti Coat Pro which is marketed as "permanent". Permanent in quotes because, while the coating may still be there, you will eventually want it corrected from the every day scuffs, marks, etc that will happen regardless.

To this day, when you wash the car you can still tell there is some coating remaining. Its garaged most of the time (I do drive it, but park in a parking garage), but the water beads like crazy even after all these years.

Had the same thing done to my wifes '15 Lexus when it was new, and same deal now 4 years later. Easy to wash, water beads like mad.

I did my RAM myself, since I paid enough for the other 2 cars to get done :) I used 22PLE HPC to re-coat it (first time I used Optimum Gloss Coat which is only rated for 2 years). The 22PLE stuff was much nicer to work with, but it did require some planning....24 hours cure time between coats, 2 coats recommended.

@Todd C your truck came out beautiful! I dont know how you do it, though...living with a black truck :)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Turned out very, very nice. You'll love the ceramic benefits!!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GTechniq is the product they use.

Looks great, you're going to love the ceramic!!

Do you know which GTechniq coating they used? My truck has Crystal Serum Light on it that was put on about a year ago. I do apply Carpro Reload to it every 2-3 months.

Oh and one thing I found out the hard way is the ceramic coating can get water spots. Thats why I started using Reload.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the Ziebart Diamond Gloss installed on mine a year ago. This truck gets a Delta Sonic car wash at least four times a week, sometimes more and it's held up near perfectly. I'm told it is not ceramic so I'm guessing it is some sort of resin based material. Just had the one year inspection and they redid a few areas where I scratched through to the paint. They said they did a claybar. Not sure. It may have just been a recoat. But it was only $400 at Ziebart.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018447 miles.

OP
OP
Todd C

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Todd C your truck came out beautiful! I dont know how you do it, though...living with a black truck :)[/QUOTE]

HA! I know. I have an 09 Challenger that is black as well. The car is a garage queen and I still have to fight to keep that paint straight. So, it was against my own wisdom that I bought the black truck. But, that was the vehicle that I found the deal on. So, the rest is history. To your point though, knowing how much of a challenge it is to keep black paint in good shape is why I ended up dropping the $$ on the ceramic. Hoping that will help keep the paint straight and also hoping that the effort in regular washes will be reduced as well. So far I'm happy with it. I had seen somewhere to wait a solid week before washing so I'll see about the easier washing this weekend! :)

OP
OP
Todd C

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much was it? I live near Valdosta,ga and wash my truck once a week. I use a pressure washer for initial rinse since I live off a dirt road, and then either mothers or meguires car wash soap. I’ll be getting griots for my bday with their foaming soap sprayer soon. I have a soft bristle brush on a telescopic pole, and rain-x spray and wipe wax.

The griots package I’m getting is their 1 gallon refill pack. Has window cleaner, tire cleaner, car was soap and speed shine.

Any thoughts would help and be appreciated.

My guy advertises around $2K, we are friends so I got a bit of a friends discount. They are on the high side but the effort put into the paint correction was outstanding. IMO, without an outstanding paint correction there is no point in the coating and it seems like the paint correcting is where all the labor is. Otherwise, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to apply the product.

The foam sprayer is great but the thought of you using a brush on your paint is giving me anxiety!! I do a pressure washer rinse, foam cannon (let sit for 5 to 10 min then rinse), then a standard 2 bucket hand wash with a good mitt. I dry with an electric leaf blower. I also use a completely different set of materials (buckets, sponges, etc..) to do my wheels. I really hate micro scratches :)

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The whole "ceramic coat" thing sounded pretty interesting to me so I did some research since having a shop apply it was pretty expensive.
Well, results were most of the ceramic coatings tested didn't last any longer than a quality synthetic wax job. So I concluded it was all hype.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whole "ceramic coat" thing sounded pretty interesting to me so I did some research since having a shop apply it was pretty expensive.
Well, results were most of the ceramic coatings tested didn't last any longer than a quality synthetic wax job. So I concluded it was all hype.

What tests did you see?

I can attest that a professionally installed coating (and maybe even DIY if you are detail oriented enough) will far outlive a sealant.

My G37 which was coated 6+ years ago, right after washing, looks about as good as it did the day it was coated. Minus the scuffs and stuff that coating cant really prevent anyway. Surely by now, through all the weather and washings, a sealant would have been LONG gone.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
My guy advertises around $2K, we are friends so I got a bit of a friends discount. They are on the high side but the effort put into the paint correction was outstanding. IMO, without an outstanding paint correction there is no point in the coating and it seems like the paint correcting is where all the labor is. Otherwise, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to apply the product.

The foam sprayer is great but the thought of you using a brush on your paint is giving me anxiety!! I do a pressure washer rinse, foam cannon (let sit for 5 to 10 min then rinse), then a standard 2 bucket hand wash with a good mitt. I dry with an electric leaf blower. I also use a completely different set of materials (buckets, sponges, etc..) to do my wheels. I really hate micro scratches :)

Thanks for the info on how you wash. This is the 3rd brand new vehicle I’ve owned in my life and the few that I did care for I hand washed but didn’t have a pressure washer then. Since the top of the truck doesn’t get muddy I’ll probably be fine with your suggested method of foam and wait for 5-10 mins. I don’t have anywhere non sunny to wash the truck (i.e. covered) so I usually try to wait till near dusk when it’s cooler (South Georgia).

With the 2 bucket hand wash wouldn’t said glove also have the potential for micro scratches since your rubbing on the paint? I have ZERO detail experience and am open to all advice. Just expect a **** load of questions in return lol

2018 power wagon: cover king black tactical front seat covers, balsitic rear. Kicker kx replacement dash and door speakers, crossfire C5 800.4 amp for doors (100 wattsX4 RMS), crossfire C5 1000.1 pushing 2 crossfire 12” dvc wired to 1 ohm (1000 watts RMS). Flowmaster American thunder 50 series. Rough country 4.5” lift (installing in August), fuel off-road zephyr candy apple red w/ black trim 20x9 with milestar Patagonia M/T 37X12.5X20 (bought and paid for. Waiting to get made)

OP
OP
Todd C

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I completely understand the heat part. I'm in the burbs of Atlanta, not quite as hot as down your way but the heat here is about all I can handle!

LOL....You are 100% correct about the mitt (this is basically a sponge with the little 2inch microfiber finger thingies, yes that is the technical term for them)) being a potential for source for micro scratches. The truth is that everything is potential source for micro scratches. I subscribe to the notion that if I am touching the paint, I am damaging the paint. I have about 10 mitts and 1 or 2 per wash (one for upper half of the truck and another for the lower half) after a wash they go to the dirty pile to be cleaned with my other micro fiber towels. If my mitt or anything that I am about to touch my paint with touches the ground it is replaced with a clean one to do the best I can to not pick up stuff that can damage the paint. There are a number of threads that discusses proper washing techniques. Even being as ridiculous as I am about how I wash and maintain my towels and mitts, it is almost impossible to truly avoid the dreaded micro scratches. These efforts really only try to minimize them and lessens the frequency between paint corrections. The less you can touch your paint the better.

This is why I am giving the ceramic coating a shot. If my regular washes can consist of a good rinse, foam cannon and rinse again then dry with a leaf blower then I have virtually not touched the paint. Then keep my hand washes to around once a month then I will be very very happy.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I see. That makes a **** ton of sense. And no offense to any Georgia natives, but y’all can keep the humidity and gnats. F this in 5 years I’m heading back west. Probably Utah.

Anyways, I can’t wait for the foam cannon and the griots gallon pack :) the only thing I’ll be using to touch my truck from now on are the microfiber clothes to wax with. Right now I’m using the rain x fast wax until I can get the speed shine from my griots order :)

2018 power wagon: cover king black tactical front seat covers, balsitic rear. Kicker kx replacement dash and door speakers, crossfire C5 800.4 amp for doors (100 wattsX4 RMS), crossfire C5 1000.1 pushing 2 crossfire 12” dvc wired to 1 ohm (1000 watts RMS). Flowmaster American thunder 50 series. Rough country 4.5” lift (installing in August), fuel off-road zephyr candy apple red w/ black trim 20x9 with milestar Patagonia M/T 37X12.5X20 (bought and paid for. Waiting to get made)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to practice good washing technique regardless of what is on the vehicle.

Foam gun, good wash mitts and two buckets. I will pre-wash with electric pressure washer to get the loose junk off. Hit one side of the truck with foam at the top and just let it run off. Then per-panel, fire foam in between the mitt and the surface of the panel while basically just using the weight of the wet mitt to do the work.

Top to bottom, Ill go down to the last body line on each panel. Under that last body line is usually where all the tough crap stays, so I switch to another mitt to do the lowers. Rinse both mitts in the rinse bucket w/grit guard, then repeat for the next panel. If the vehicle is REALLY dirty Ill rinse multiple times but my vehicles rarely get that dirty.

Paint coating helps a lot with getting most of the stuff off before you even need to think about touching the paint. Sealants help with that too, but over time you'll see they degrade (especially if you use too-harsh of a soap and/or dilution ratio). Coatings will take longer to degrade, as long as you use the right soap (NO additives whatsoever....use something like CarPro Reset).

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
RAM 2019.jpg

Mother's CMX

I think if you have a brand new truck you can do this pretty easily yourself.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I never had a car done in my 52 years, but bought a new 392 Charger and thought Id try it. Man its totally worth it.
Paint correction, then Ceramic. The car was 10x easier to clean, and stay clean after wards.

38033505_240512743258398_2242914531372171264_n.jpg

38148103_240512673258405_7093944031935201280_n.jpg

38173149_240512639925075_8355513103730868224_n.jpg

38171735_240512819925057_6510560221847355392_n.jpg

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I used that on mine, good stuff. But may have truck professional done..he has a 5 year guarantee.

View attachment 174367

Ya so since you can stack it I am going to just do it several times as it is so easy and enjoyable. I also have a few free details at my dealership who do a DYI one like this and go on and on about "nano" technology.