Ceramic or Not on New Longhorn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Picking up my new 2023 1500 Longhorn next week. It’s Billet Silver, including the bumper. The dealer suggested the Armor Shield product. They can apply it.

A little background. I live in a mountain community with all that it entails, snow, ice, rocks and critters. As my insurance agent says, “We have 3 seasons, ice, deer and rocks.”

The new truck is replacing my 2021 Laramie in Granite. I thought it would be the last truck I would buy. (See my profile photo) Sadly, it’s not. Ghost issue…

As it’s a Longhorn with all the front end sensors and what not, the Westin HDX grille guard is not an option. So, I decided on the painted bumper. Not sure if I’ll put a grille guard on it or not to help protect the front end. But I do want to protect my paint finishes. I am doing Rhino liner and a hard tonneau cove.

So, questions running around in my brain are is the ceramic worth it, (I am not able self apply or maintain) and what else would you recommend to protect my new guy? Any other extras you would recommend? On the tonneau, I’m looking at the Undercover flex or armor flex. TIA

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't waste my time or money on that. It is not a true ceramic. I would personally use Undrdog Professional Coating. Its not a Ceramic, but it is the best driver coating out there. It is teflon based, and I have it on my wifes Jeep. It just rolled a year this week with it on it. It is an amazing product. Very user friendly and the stuff to maintain it is geared towards the working man.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The most effective thing I know for protecting paint is paint protection film (PPF). It's the only thing that will reliably protect against rock chips. And with a painted grill your truck will be susceptible to those. Some people will then ceramic coat over that.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The most effective thing I know for protecting paint is paint protection film (PPF). It's the only thing that will reliably protect against rock chips. And with a painted grill your truck will be susceptible to those. Some people will then ceramic coat over that.
Even PPF can't always be counted on and PPF is expensive. I would also recommend it, but its usually out of most peoples budget. OP if you were to PPF I would do a full front with A pillars and the leading edge of the roof including the mirrors. Those are your impact areas.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even PPF can't always be counted on and PPF is expensive. I would also recommend it, but its usually out of most peoples budget.
I never said it's 100% effective, just that it's the most effective. Nothing can fully protect your paint. Sure, it's expensive. But the OP never said he's looking for the cheapest way to protect his truck.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never said it's 100% effective, just that it's the most effective. Nothing can fully protect your paint. Sure, it's expensive. But the OP never said he's looking for the cheapest way to protect his truck.
True. Xpel is really the only PPF I would trust. Its self healing effect is amazing.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Picking up my new 2023 1500 Longhorn next week. It’s Billet Silver, including the bumper. The dealer suggested the Armor Shield product. They can apply it.

Of course they did and of course they can. It's a huge profit add-on for them.

If you want it, shop around other shops vs what the dealer will gou...charge you and make your decision then.

OP
OP
MTGranite

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Thank you for all the information. My preference would be the wrap. However, I live in a fairly remote area and finding products and services can be a bit tough. So I did go with the ceramic. Better than nothing, especially with as hard as our water is. Although, I did change my mind on the truck. I ended up bringing home a Limited.

saturnx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally have had all of my new vehicles ceramic coated for the last 10 years. I currently own two Rebels that are ceramic coated. It not only provides protection, a stunning wet look but makes washing and drying it so much easier. For me it's a must have mod on any of my vehicles.
Here's a snap shot of my 22 Rebel after just a wash and dry last week. It looks Juicey lol 20230608_182504.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally have had all of my new vehicles ceramic coated for the last 10 years. I currently own two Rebels that are ceramic coated. It not only provides protection, a stunning wet look but makes washing and drying it so much easier. For me it's a must have mod on any of my vehicles.
Here's a snap shot of my 22 Rebel after just a wash and dry last week. It looks Juicey lol View attachment 522894
The shine when they have a legit coating is amazing! You ought to look into Undrdog next time. I promise that you will love it!

saturnx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use Adam's ceramic boost maintenance coating after every few washes. But I am running out, if undrdog has something like that I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Adam's ceramic boost maintenance coating after every few washes. But I am running out, if undrdog has something like that I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
You can just use their QD and it will last from what I have heard from other detailers up to 8 months. Carpro Hydr02 is another great product, its just a lot more expensive. Joel the founder of Undrdog worked for Ceramic Pro for many years. He started developing a new product and they stole his idea and so he left. He then started Undrdog back in 2019. Its a family run business and his products are amazing! Ive helped with the testing of his new products and development of them from the real world testing. He is the coolest dude as well.