Changed oil now truck shaking with codes HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerald T1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just had my oil changed on Friday. Everything was good until today.

Truck is shaking and at times when I accelerate, the engine light flashes.

I’m getting these 3 codes now:

P0306
P1416
P3497

Im hoping it’s just spark plugs.

Any of you ever had issues like this following an oil change? This never happened before.

It’s a 2021 Hemi with 60k miles on it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
First code is cylinder 6 misfire. The second two codes are related to the MDS solenoid system not activating and/or deactivating properly. Besides electrical issues with the MDS system, low oil pressure is a possible cause. Did you check the oil level?

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire​

P1416 Dodge Code - Cylinder 6 Reactivation Control Performance​

What are the Possible Causes of the DTC P1416 Dodge?​

NOTE: The causes shown may not be a complete list of all potential problems, and it is possible that there may be other causes.
  • Low oil pressure or blocked oil passage
  • Faulty MDS Solenoid
  • MDS Solenoid harness is open or shorted
  • MDS Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • P3497 Dodge Code - Multiple Displacement System Rationality Bank 2​

• Low oil pressure
    • Restricted oil passage
    • Engine mechanical condition
    • Multiple Displacement System (MDS) Solenoid fault

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who did your oil change? Kinda strange all this after a change. Was any wiring played with, or something done on the PAX side of the truck? Like "chri5k" said, best check that oil level, also look at filter and insure drain plug in and not leaking too. Then do a visual and look at all coil packs and see if things look disturbed also. Also, look at your ECU, should be right next to battery. Make sure it looks like the levers holding in the wiring looks OK and nothing maybe spilled all over it, like oil. Something just not jive, so these ideas just Internet Guessnosis.

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
since the common thing here is low oil pressure and oil was just changed check oil level but could be too the MDS solenoid for cylinder 6 went down

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be your oil filter is not going to bypass or stuck I would change that out seeing it was fine before the oil change, make sure there's 7 qts in it, also check the connection of the oil pressure sensor on filter housing.

OP
OP
G

gerald T1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First code is cylinder 6 misfire. The second two codes are related to the MDS solenoid system not activating and/or deactivating properly. Besides electrical issues with the MDS system, low oil pressure is a possible cause. Did you check the oil level?
Not yet. I’ll check in the am and make sure. Thank you
Who did your oil change? Kinda strange all this after a change. Was any wiring played with, or something done on the PAX side of the truck? Like "chri5k" said, best check that oil level, also look at filter and insure drain plug in and not leaking too. Then do a visual and look at all coil packs and see if things look disturbed also. Also, look at your ECU, should be right next to battery. Make sure it looks like the levers holding in the wiring looks OK and nothing maybe spilled all over it, like oil. Something just not jive, so these ideas just Internet Guessnosis.
Oil change was done by my mechanic I’ve been with for 10+ years. Nothing out of the ordinary done.

I’ll check all the other things you mentioned and see if there’s something there.

I agree, very odd everything was working great before the oil change and all of a sudden this.

Thanks for the help
since the common thing here is low oil pressure and oil was just changed check oil level but could be too the MDS solenoid for cylinder 6 went down

I’ll tell the mechanic that. Thank you
Could be your oil filter is not going to bypass or stuck I would change that out seeing it was fine before the oil change, make sure there's 7 qts in it, also check the connection of the oil pressure sensor on filter housing.

I used a mobile oil filter for the first time ever. I’ll double check the oil level tmw and find out about the rest.

Thank you

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep it simple to start. This happened in close proximity to your oil change. Verify oil level is correct. What does you oil pressure gauge display with a running engine? If flow is restricted, you should be seeing a change in operating PSI. If all of that checks out, do a scan under the hood for things in proximity to oil filter location (looking for spilled oil, presence of a leak, disconnected wiring/hoses/etc).

OP
OP
G

gerald T1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep it simple to start. This happened in close proximity to your oil change. Verify oil level is correct. What does you oil pressure gauge display with a running engine? If flow is restricted, you should be seeing a change in operating PSI. If all of that checks out, do a scan under the hood for things in proximity to oil filter location (looking for spilled oil, presence of a leak, disconnected wiring/hoses/etc).
Yup. I agree.
Oil pressure gauge shows just a touch under 100%.
I’ll look in the am for any spilled oil or a leak etc. I know there’s no leak coming from under.

Thank you
There's been problems with Mobil 1 oil filters W low oil pressure.
Interesting. Could that be the issue?

Just researched and looks like the mobil 1 filters can cause pressure to go up. I wonder if replacing the filter with a different brand you guys recommend might fix the issues?

Last edited:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup. I agree.
I’ll look in the am for any spilled oil or a leak etc. I know there’s no leak coming from under.

Thank you

Not sure what "oil pressure gauge shows just a touch under 100%" means. Are you referring to Oil Life? Oil pressure should read out in PSI, a numerical value indicating the pressure.

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have seen Mopar do weird stuff on wrong oil weights since you changed filter/oils I would start with going back to what you was using

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup. I agree.

Thank you

Just researched and looks like the mobil 1 filters can cause pressure to go up. I wonder if replacing the filter with a different brand you guys recommend might fix the issues?
Oil pressure is in PSI; oil life is in percentage. I don't know what your pressure should read, but on my 6.4 it runs about 53 PSI at highway speed.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Step 1: Take it back to the guy who did it. Step 2: Report back here with results.

OP
OP
G

gerald T1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what "oil pressure gauge shows just a touch under 100%" means. Are you referring to Oil Life? Oil pressure should read out in PSI, a numerical value indicating the pressure.
Ah ok. How do I check the pressure?
I have seen Mopar do weird stuff on wrong oil weights since you changed filter/oils I would start with going back to what you was using
I hear you. Odd this happened though
Step 1: Take it back to the guy who did it. Step 2: Report back here with results.
Lol wish I could. I recently moved about 4 hours away from him. I happened to be back in the area and went to see him and thought I would do my oil since I was there. I chose the oil and filter.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should be a gauge for that.

Lol wish I could. I recently moved about 4 hours away from him. I happened to be back in the area and went to see him and thought I would do my oil since I was there. I chose the oil and filter.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yup. I agree.
Oil pressure is usually measured in PSI.

Could an incorrect oil type have been put in your engine? This could result in a drop in pressure depending on its characteristics. Just thinking out loud.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Either your analog gauge on your cluster, or you can page through the menu on your EVIC until you come to the "Vehicle Info" page then use your right/left buttons on the steering wheel until you come to the "Oil Pressure" reading. Should read somewhere between upper 40's and lower 50's PSI.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If the oil level was full 99% this is the issue, it should have been common knowledge just change this the second you had an issue after an oil change. The orange can of death is a real thing, dont drive the truck til a new filter is hanging on it. Mis well go to oil stop and just get another oil change. If m1 uses louvers could be closed louvers in center tube as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat