Changing gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stepbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I want to change my gears from 3.21 to 3.92, does the front end also need to be changed with 4 wheel drive? Would you stick with MOPAR gears since they should still be covered under warranty according to my salesman or go with a different brand?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I want to change my gears from 3.21 to 3.92, does the front end also need to be changed with 4 wheel drive? Would you stick with MOPAR gears since they should still be covered under warranty according to my salesman or go with a different brand?

Unfortunately yes they would, and from what I've heard its very costly. I'm sure it's been done and I'm sure someone on here has done it and can give you a ballpark figure.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately yes they would, and from what I've heard its very costly. I'm sure it's been done and I'm sure someone on here has done it and can give you a ballpark figure.

$3k plus I’d stick with mopar gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks and I guess that's out of the question. Was hoping that it would be around 1k.

Just a guess but with 2wd if probably would have been (if anyone is looking at this for reference in the future). I believe the front probably costs more than doing the rear, any idea on that @BEAST19 ?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But is was such a pleasant, enlightening experience, wasn't it? LOL.

Definitely helps it get up and go! And doesn’t downshift nearly as much on highway at every slight hill !

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a guess but with 2wd if probably would have been (if anyone is looking at this for reference in the future). I believe the front probably costs more than doing the rear, any idea on that @BEAST19 ?

I replaced the whole front diff (which is required in I believe 2014 and up don’t quote me ) that ran almost 1300$ just for the 3.92 front diff.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the whole front diff (which is required in I believe 2014 and up don’t quote me ) that ran almost 1300$ just for the 3.92 front diff.

Ah that's right the front diff, I knew swapping the front required something extra. Thanks for the good info.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah that's right the front diff, I knew swapping the front required something extra. Thanks for the good info.

No problem. !

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Yup. 3.92s need the bigger rear in front.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I went 3.92

Yeah, me dopey.
Can't fit either of those in a 1500.
Mixed you up with a HD thread.
I thought I remembered you having dificulties with the shop that did your gears. Am I nuts?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, me dopey.
I thought I remembered you having dificulties with the shop that did your gears. Am I nuts?

4.56's or 5.88's in a relatively stock half ton (assuming) would be badass! Man that thing would go like hell, for a little while.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, me dopey.

Hahaha no biggie. , but yea u probably talked to me . The Yukon duragrip posi they installed blew up on me within 100miles lol went to mopar lsd. So far so good minus a little noise (very faint “shinging” noise u can only hear at slow speeds. Put it on lift at shop to change the differential cover at the same shop and had him listen to the noise and he hears it , rechecked backlash and specs and can’t attribute it to anything . I called motive gears and they say the 9.25 tear ends get noisy with after market and when u change gears there’s different harmonics that I could be hearing bla bla bla . We’ll see.

OP
OP
S

stepbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a call into a 4 wheel drive shop that specializes in gear changes. He is working up a price using MOPAR parts and is going to get back to me. He said that it was about a day and a half job.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a call into a 4 wheel drive shop that specializes in gear changes. He is working up a price using MOPAR parts and is going to get back to me. He said that it was about a day and a half job.

Never hurts to know the options, let us know what they come back to you with.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hahaha no biggie. , but yea u probably talked to me . The Yukon duragrip posi they installed blew up on me within 100miles lol went to mopar lsd. So far so good minus a little noise (very faint “shinging” noise u can only hear at slow speeds. Put it on lift at shop to change the differential cover at the same shop and had him listen to the noise and he hears it , rechecked backlash and specs and can’t attribute it to anything . I called motive gears and they say the 9.25 tear ends get noisy with after market and when u change gears there’s different harmonics that I could be hearing bla bla bla . We’ll see.

Yup, yup, yup. I Remember that whole thread! You were more calm than half the guys giving you advice (opinion). You were like, "well yeah it's new and now it's ****** so I prolly gotta spend more to fix it". And everybody just went NoNo, yhey gotta own that. Ha! And they did, so, good. Cool got it now.