Chatter in the front end = Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack_Sauce_16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been hearing some metal on metal chatter in my front right suspension for a few weeks now. I went through the process of testing my joints and bushings with some lithium grease and couldn't find the cuprit so I took it to a firestone. They told me that my brake had been wearing down at an angle and had gotten to the wear indicator at one spot and when I hit a bump it would rub against my rotor causing the chatter. While they had my truck on a lift and the calipers off, I verified that my pads were low and that my rotors looked a bit thin. (I didnt measure the rotor thickness) They recommended I replace all pads and rotors and quoted me at $1,046. No way am I paying that much for brakes and rotors when I can get parts for ~$450-500 and do the labor myself. What I dont get is how my brake pad is rubbing over bumps during normal driving conditions but doesnt make noise when I brake. Also, do you think rotors should be replaced after only 60,000 miles? I'm going to make an actual measurement later this week but I'm curious what you guys think.

2008 Ram 1500 - 5.7 - HBS 2" level

zoomin0074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
probably the retaining clips wore out.. I recently had chatter up front except when brakes were engaged.. I went to the autoparts store and bought the brake hardware kit then replaced those little retaining clips, now noise is gone.

ArmyMPVeteran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I just replaced the Brakes on my Girlfriends 08 Ram 1500 4x4. Ordered the Brake Kit on RockAuto for about $250 which included all 4 Rotors and Pads. It came with the retainer parts for the Rear brakes but not the front, I actually had to reuse the front ones from the old pads. Where could I get a new set of the retainer parts? On another note, Im shocked that you were quoted over $1000 for a brake job when again, I was able to obtain the Parts for the job for $250 myself.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This is what I installed on my truck a couple months back: Power Stop 1-Click Heavy Duty Truck and Tow Brake Kit | PowerStop Truck & SUV Brake Kit, V8&submodel3=Regular Cab (Full 2 Doors)

Ok the finish is excellent on them, the price is real good, Customer service was great. So far I have seen no rust on them at all unlike the stock ones which seemed to get rust almost immediately). And they stop my truck a ton faster than the stock brakes ever did. I immediately noticed a difference when towing too (16' travel trailer, 19' closed cargo trailer, and a 20' car hauling trailer). SO I can highly recommend these for anyone.