Check engine light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The check engine light came on in my 15 ram 2500 6.4 sat morning, I looked up a video on how to check the code and when I do it the odometer goes away turns to dashes then says done, it won't show any codes and the light is still on any ideas?

ICEChargerRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself a cheapo OBDI code reader and pull the codes from the OBDI port that's located under the dash. You should be able to get a code reader at Sears or Walmart for about 20 bucks, they are good to have. Another option is to go to a local Autopart's store and have them pull the code for you, it should be free. Once you have the "check engine" code you can look up exactly what's the problem on line. Another plus is you can reset the Check Engine light yourself.

OP
OP
Reaper26

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went to auto zone sat and they said theirs was broke so they couldn't check it, and nobody at advanced could do it. I have to have an appointment at the dealership, I wish my programmer for my other truck would check it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Another vote of buying a cheap OBD-II code reader. Cannot even begin to guess without the code or codes it is throwing.

OP
OP
Reaper26

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now its gone, its been on all weekend and i went to lunch a little while ago and the light is off. Im going to take it by the dealership and let them check it, if they can manage that. They havent fixed anything and ive had it over there several times hell they still dont even have the parts to fix the air bag recall and they ordered that 6 months ago.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If it went away, more than likely was a small EVAP leak throwing a code. A loose fuel cap can trip that.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just because the light isn't on anymore doesn't mean the code is gone. Like others already mentioned, go pick up a scan tool and check it. Or better yet since you said it's a 2015 let the dealer worry about under warranty. If you do decide to take it to the dealer then DO NOT clear the codes. If you do the dealer will not be able to help you until the light comes back on.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The code is stored but after 3 successful run cycles with no code it will turn the light off.

Like above said, most likely it was a evap code such as a loose gas cap.

I ended up buying a $15 low-profile Bluetooth obd2 adapter and pull codes easily from my phone and I'm able to clear them as well.

Fortunately I haven't had to use it on my RAM yet lol

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk