Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 01 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9. I have the check engine light on and took it to oreilly’s to get it checked to tell me what is wrong but for some reason the diagnostic plug under the dash will not power up the scan tool. Can someone tell me what the possible problem to this is so that I can fix this and then find out my problem that is causing the CEL to be lit.
All fuses under the hood are good.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an 01 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9. I have the check engine light on and took it to oreilly’s to get it checked to tell me what is wrong but for some reason the diagnostic plug under the dash will not power up the scan tool. Can someone tell me what the possible problem to this is so that I can fix this and then find out my problem that is causing the CEL to be lit.
All fuses under the hood are good.
Verify with a test light that pin #16 is hot with B+ battery power. Pin #16 powers the scan tools. Pin #'s 4/5 are both grounds. Now, if the scan tool will not communicate then that is entirely different. Pin #3 is the CCD Bus (+) and Pin #11 is the CCD Bus (-)
Pin #6 is SCI Receive and Pin #7 is SCI Transmit.

SCI, or Serial Communications Interface, is used for flash programming. CCD Bus, or Chrysler Collision Detection, is the communication limes for the scan tool to communicate with the controllers.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the information. I will check this out tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
Are the pins numbered going across the top row and then dropping down and reading left to right?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the information. I will check this out tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
Are the pins numbered going across the top row and then dropping down and reading left to right?
Yes, you are correct. #1 is in the top left and #16 is in the bottom right. If you look closely at the connector with a flashlight you can see the actual numbers on the connector itself as each terminal slot is numbered.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I got in to work this morning and checked. Pin #4 & 5 are good grounds but pin #16 has no power. Well actually I have .02 volts on the 20 volt scale on my multimeter. Where do I go from here?

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok I got in to work this morning and checked. Pin #4 & 5 are good grounds but pin #16 has no power. Well actually I have .02 volts on the 20 volt scale on my multimeter. Where do I go from here?
I believe Fuse #12 in the Junction Block (fuse box) in the cab powers Pin #16 in the data link connector. The junction block is the fuse panel on the left side of the instrument panel. Check that fuse as well as the IOD fuse in the underhood PDC.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot there was a fuse panel under the dash. I will check it tomorrow morning. Thanks

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the problem. I now have power at the diagnostic connector.
It was tricky getting that fuse out. I accidentally found out how to get it out.
Thanks again.