"Check Gas Cap"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the ay home from work today and had a check gas cap message come up on my EVIC. Stopped, shut off the truck, opened up the cap retightend and the message came back on right after starting up. Any ideas or should I bring it into the dealer?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the gas cap is tight and it is telling you to check it, take it to the dealer. There is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nw3dogs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 slt laramie 2500
Engine
V8 360
Generally it means you have a large evap leak. If you have rust built up on the filler neck that could cause the error code your getting. if you do try sanding it off and see if it comes back on. Also you will need someone to clear the code. Until you do even if you fix the problem it will keep returning until the code is cleared.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll see if I can get a hold of a dealer today. Truck's still under warranty anyway.

Thanks guys.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'll see if I can get a hold of a dealer today. Truck's still under warranty anyway.

Thanks guys.
Do you have a tuner? If you do try clearing the code now and see if that works! Otherwise I'd say dealer time!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
"If" the gas cap was loose and removing and installing it fixed the issue. It will still take awhile for the light to go away. Best to take it in to the dealer, since there may be an Evap leak.

lapriester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the same thing happen on two different Nissan's I've had when I let the tank get really low and then filled it to the neck. Recently it happened on my Dakota (when I left the cap off) The check engine light lit and the manual indicated it was an emission issue that brings in the light usually related to the gas cap. It's probably the same type of issue with your truck. The manual said it should clear after a few engine run cycles and if not, go to the dealer. It cleared on the Nissans after about 5 run cycles and the Dakota after about 10. I say run it and see if it clears though, if under warranty the dealer will just check the code, check for any other problems and probably just clear it for you. You may never see it again.

OP
OP
Pigeonman

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I did a little reading that said similar. I'll let it run a few cycles and see what happens. Won't be driving it much this week though with my crazy work schedule.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throw in like 10 gallons of gas, and see what happens.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol