Check wngine code p0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batchley13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New member here and need some help. I went out camping and hunting this weekend and pulled a trailer. Trip was good until the ride home.
The check engine light came on and beeped and flashed every so often. If i let off the gas the truck would jerk and not go right back into gear.
I limped the rest of the way home. The truck was in limping mode. Lost a lot of power but got home.
The truck was running, driving, and shifting great before this. I did the key trick and it through back the code p0300. That was the only code. I googled it and found all kind of variouse explanations, and none of them the same. So one of them mention the crankshaft positioning censor. It cost 15 bucks so i replaced it.
Truck started and drove normal after that but the check engine light did not go off. I came out later and now the truck will not start. The check engine light is on and beeping and flashing.
Did the key trick again and no codes are coming back.
I really dont know where to go from here. I dont want to take it to the dealership but i will if i have to. I think the code stands for a missfire in one or all cylanders. O2 sensors were another issue addressed in another forum for this code.
Any thoughts guys/gals? I dont want to start throwing a bunch of money in parts at it.
I really hope it is something simple.

Tia.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P0300 should be something to the affect of a "random cylinder misfire". I don't know what you mean when you say you did "the key trick" but I'd recommend getting a scan tool and checking the codes that way.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
P0300 should be something to the affect of a "random cylinder misfire". I don't know what you mean when you say you did "the key trick" but I'd recommend getting a scan tool and checking the codes that way.

Turn the key on/off 3 times in a row fast and it shows the check engine code.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If the truck ran fine after changing the crank sensor then I'd be looking for something electrical not mechanical. You could try cleaning up the main battery ground and inspect the ground straps on the back of each cylinder head. Could also be a cracked or corroded wire to the crank sensor, O2 sensor or up near the fusebox. I'd at least check all of those things before heading to the parts store. Welcome to RF.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
the p0300 mentions a general missfire but you would need a code reader to get a more detailed explanation (i.e. p0301 - cylinder 1 missfire)... so before you throw anymore money at it try to get a more detailed code (which key trick won't show you)... when you turn the key to on position just before starting, can you hear the fuel pump priming? that's one of the things to rule out...