Cleaning Leather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Just picked up my first ever truck, a '12 Ram Sport and it has leather seats/interior. I'm obviously not the first owner so I have no idea what the previous ones did in the truck or if they took care of it. I have also never had leather seats in a car before. So I went and got some leather cleaning wipes along with some other stuff so I can wipe it down nice and clean because I like a clean vehicle. I notice when I wipe down the leather sections of the seats that I keep pulling brown stuff off of them. Now like I said, I have never had leather so I'm not sure if this is normal or is it just really dirty and I need to keep cleaning until it wipes clean? I don't want to keep wiping if I'm damaging something. Also, what's most commonly used/best to keep the leather clean and looking good?

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
What brand of cleaning wipes did you get? Wipes usually do not work well for leather (seats, steering wheel, etc.). Post pictures of what you're talking about and we'll chime in.

Oh, congrats on your first ever truck - great choice!

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Thanks. I have been wanting a truck for a good while now but have been waiting until I wasn't upside down any longer on the car that I traded in to get a truck. I have always wanted a Ram too, just got fortunate that I found this one with the Hemi and was all black so I am in love all over again.

The wipes are Armor-All Leather wipes. Unless you were talking about the brown stuff that I wipe off, those I threw away but if needed, I could post one of a dirty one.

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doubt you're damaging anything, just sounds like the PO didn't keep them clean and you're cutting through that.

I've heard mixed reviews on wipes, but know that Meguiar's streaks.

I would also recommend Optimum Leather Protectant for it once clean.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use leatherique on all my leather. Have not had to clean my Ram as I just got it a week ago. I do use it on my 2015 Nissan Pathfinder and it keeps them looking like new and does not dull or soften the leather. Just my 2 cents. Also congratz on you Ram. I hope it will be as great and trouble free as my previous and current Ram have been for me.