Click sound from ignition key assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
On my 2013 RAM 2500 5.7L Tradesman, when I press brake pedal and begin to move shift lever into D, I get a click sound coming from the ignition key assembly. Only one click for each time I begin to move the lever. This is with the motor running. If I do not put foot on brake and test, I do not get clicking. I am able to put truck in D, but clearly something is wrong. If I place my fingers on the keyhole & test, I can feel a vibration in time with the click. Probably a safety/lockout solenoid. I have a 30 second video posted from the link.

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my 2013 RAM 2500 5.7L Tradesman, when I press brake pedal and begin to move shift lever into D, I get a click sound coming from the ignition key assembly. Only one click for each time I begin to move the lever. This is with the motor running. If I do not put foot on brake and test, I do not get clicking. I am able to put truck in D, but clearly something is wrong. If I place my fingers on the keyhole & test, I can feel a vibration in time with the click. Probably a safety/lockout solenoid. I have a 30 second video posted from the link.

Mike,
What you’re hearing is the actuator that keeps you from turning the key to the off position so that it cannot be removed while in any other gear but park. Mine has started making that noise as well. Not sure what to replace yet, but it is still doing its job. Just being noisy now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I forget the fix for this, this might be it I dont recall right now. Gotta clean the terminal contact points on both sides, they get plenty dirty over a decade of use just like points and plugs do. Cant procratinate forever, this is gonna fail if it is at this point.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Curious if you are in th does it do it? It doesnt mean anything unless th shuts off the click, then it might.